Where to next?

Regelridderen

You already have a good chunk of guild by the looks of it so maybe adding Sonnia to the mix, good excuse to get some Thalarian Queller’s and Witchling Thrall’s.  Keeping in theme with the Witch Hunter thing I always like to run a Witchling Handler and all the models in the M2e starter set are Witch Hunters also.

• Like 3

I would recommend Nellie. You already have some good options to run with her in your Lady J and Perdita box so can immediately have at least a decent crew with her and in her box you get Phiona which is almost an automatic include for me with any Guild master. 

For your extras get Allison Dade and a Peacekeeper.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

I would just recommend "not the Viks" because I find them incredibly boring to play against. But that's just like, my opinion man.

What do you find boring about games against the Viks?  I've not played against the Hired Swords for about 6 months or more.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Regelridderen said:

It was the ‘spooky kids’, that won this time. The dreamer is heading my way with Doppleganger, stitched, widow weaver and the twins. 

Dipping your toe in Neverborn I see, have to admit it is not a crew that appeals to me but it is fun to play against.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Impact UK said:

What do you find boring about games against the Viks?  I've not played against the Hired Swords for about 6 months or more.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. Vik games tend to be decided very early since the alpha of doom where they pop out in your crew after outactivating you turn 1 will either be spectacular or fizzle. If you don't appreciate a kill everything arms race that tends to be not so enjoyable. That being said the games are often fast which is in many ways nice and of course any game is enjoyable against an enjoyable opponent. I tend to enjoy games with few kills and more strategic positioning and scheme marker dancing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Hope you don't mind me jumping in. Vik games tend to be decided very early since the alpha of doom where they pop out in your crew after outactivating you turn 1 will either be spectacular or fizzle. If you don't appreciate a kill everything arms race that tends to be not so enjoyable. That being said the games are often fast which is in many ways nice and of course any game is enjoyable against an enjoyable opponent. I tend to enjoy games with few kills and more strategic positioning and scheme marker dancing.

I find viks to be a nice palate cleanser.  Too many games of cagey ply in a row and viks are a nice option.  I think if someone plays them all the time it gets boring, but  if you want to get good for the tournament scene you better learn how to deal with them, because if you don't they can 10-0 you pretty easily.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Impact UK said:

Dipping your toe in Neverborn I see, have to admit it is not a crew that appeals to me but it is fun to play against.

There are so many awesome concepts in this game, that the painter/collector in me is just itching to have a go at – and luckily I've yet to actually play a game, so I don't have to think about what's good or smart.

So for now it's The Dreamer, and when that's done I'm sure to expand with Pandora – maybe Lucius would then take me back to the guild with some mimics.

• Like 2

People say Dreamer took a big hit with his summoning change but stitched are terrifying to face and very good as summons so looks like you god the right start. The crew concept is aldo very nice. I've mostly seen him played as a summoner so not sure on how the other styles function.

4 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I'm not sure that Dreamer saw much of a cuddle to be honest. Annoying for people who wanted to camp behind a building an cough out hordes of models, but I never found that worked very well. I'd say any weakness is offset by his new upgrades, but that might just be my personal experience. 

So what would be a good way to play him, once paint is dry?

He's kind of got 3 different options with his 3 limited upgrades.

The newest one is a melee based guy with a cricket bat who summons Chompy the easiest and is usually going to chain activate into him. If this is your plan you might want to convert up a more pre-teen looking model for him. I haven't gotten the chance to try it out yet but it seems like a much more durable, but not as mobile alternative to the shooty version below. Also the only realistic way of summoning Chompy more than once per turn. 

With the summoning upgrade my experience is that you're better off summoning 1 or 2 models each turn and supporting them well. So for example move the dreamer up once, summon a Stitched (or whatever), get rid of slow, make it fast and chain activate into it. That way you've got 3 attacks on something a long way from where you started and an extra model that won't die to a stiff breeze. I've seen other people take the approach of hiring some alps or something else that heals and just camping out summoning 3 things a round. It was too static for my liking and now requires you to eat a massive amount of stones so is even less feasible.

My personal favourite is the shooty build with Tantrum and Restless Dreams. The focus there is on debuffing people's Wp horribly and either paralyzing them or melting them with a combination of ranged attacks + Chompy. My experience is that this build does the most summoning in terms of sheer numbers since you want to surround things with Daydreams and Alps in order to stack debuffs and damage as well as for bringing out Chompy every round. There's a chance you might need an extra Alp or two for going down this route, but they tend to die pretty easily so I wouldn't stress too much about it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Impact UK said:

6 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I really hate alpha-style games generally. If you look back across my post history I'm always advocating for slower, less kill-centric games. So the Viks are pretty much the antithesis of what I like about Malifaux. Sounds weird coming from a Guild main but there you have it. I want a cagey game settled on turn 5, not a slaughterfest decided by the turn 2 initiative flip.

Not that that's the only way to play Viks. Holding them back and just threatening a huge part of the board with countercharge threat is a valid approach, but it's pretty categorically the worse way to play them. At that point you're better off with Sonje/Raspy/Lilith who bring some active board shaping in addition to their threat.

But, the Dreamer. I like (read, hate to face) his summoning build less for Stitched spam, and more because he can bring in a huge diversity of models, including enforcers which is pretty unique. He can just adapt on the fly to pretty much anything the game can throw at him, and with wk 7 Incorporeal he's basically impossible to threaten if you play him smart. His ranged expert play exposes him to more threat but it can definitely be nasty in its own right and it's how I would recommend playing him to start - you'll get a better sense of what is on the whole of his card rather than the default summon 2-3 things, (0) to lower Waking that I've seen quite a few people do.

I can't really comment on his cricket bat upgrade other than to say that of all the masters who really need alternate sculpts for their Wave 5 upgrades, he's top of the list. The concept art is just brilliant.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

I'm not sure that Dreamer saw much of a cuddle to be honest. Annoying for people who wanted to camp behind a building an cough out hordes of models, but I never found that worked very well. I'd say any weakness is offset by his new upgrades, but that might just be my personal experience. 

I've faced pre errata stitched spams that would disagree. Now Dreamer actually needs stones for that approach. Probably better for the game but I do think it really hit his summoning build where you already put a lot of stones into the ability to summon. 

• Like 1