Neverborn- Dreamer Crew Recruiting

JGregs

I am assembling my Dreamer crew. I have the Stiched Together, Dreamer Box, and Teddy and Bandersnatch are on order. It seems like Widow Weaver is a really useful model. Are there other models with really good synergies that may or may not be Nightmares I should look at adding?

Options are endless :P. As nightmare, Lelu and Lilitu are a vey useful (I summon them, or at least lilitu, in almost every game).

Things you have not listed I like to hire most: Nekima, Hooded Rider, Mr. Grave, Doppleganger, Tannen

To summon (not listed): Insidious madnesses 

What will work or not really depend on whom you play with. As for me, my wife has a really 'in your face' playstyle and she acquired a taste for high wp 'I don't give a shit about wp test like terrifying' models. So I had to adapt because things like Teddy or widow weaver were dying too quick without enough impact to satisfy me.

Waldgeists can be handy with the Dreamer in any strategy that requires holding a location. Not as killy as Stitched, but they aren't going anywhere fast and can engage stuff real good. Illuminated for damage and survivability can also be worthwhile but I find them too out of theme. 

Doppelganger is quite worth having. Combined with Lilitu gives you the option to draw enemies in close. Combined with other stuff she gives you a scheme running version of that thing. No real synergy with the Dreamer but a very solid stand-alone model. 

I'd try out a few games, see what gaps you feel in your lists and then decide future purchases. Dreamer's thematic crew is pretty much all the nightmares and it sounds like your well on your way to collecting that. After that you might look into picking up some of the generalist models Tendrepie listed and/or other crew boxes to pilfer things from. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

Waldgeists can be handy with the Dreamer in any strategy that requires holding a location. Not as killy as Stitched, but they aren't going anywhere fast and can engage stuff real good. Illuminated for damage and survivability can also be worthwhile but I find them too out of theme. 

True enough, both I use once in a while. Last time we played symbol I used 2 waldgeists and they did a good job holding the fort long enough I scored full point (with 1 symbol left). Illuminated I don't hate but they are a bit expensive so I rarely take them. Speaking of 'brilliant' minions, I tried a Beckoner in today game (wagon with set up in the scheme pool) and I really liked it. The push 4'' after lure + having the option to 'empty night' make them quite good with Dreamer.

These are all models I take constantly with my Dreamer crews. I play a lot of Dreamer and do pretty well with him at both tournaments and in prep games. I refuse to believe he is as low tier as the competitive community thinks. I just think he's difficult to play and most don't want to take on the challenge. ;) Regardless, I know he has weaknesses, squishy as all NB masters if you position poorly. Stitched are perfect, I try to summon them the most with 10s and keep my 12s and 13s for gambles. Lelu and Lilitu are pretty necessary too. 

as for non-nightmares: 

Serena Bowman- Simply amazing with Dreamer. I take her in 90% of my crews playing him. Her upgrade has obvious synergy, but its really all about giving her 10k faces and beating her to death with Wretches and Doppelganger for cards on T1 as she always comes back around. Black blood tendril is a great attack action and she can give Black Blood to the likes of Teddy and such, really solid model all around. 

Doppelganger- copying stuff is important and versatile. She also can cheat initiative which is invaluable when needed. 

Mature Nephilim- give him Warped Reality upgrade and put him about 6" up the board. Give him fast with Dreamer and push him with Daydreams for a early game strike on valuable targets. He's tough and works really well into living crews. I've been surprised by this model in every game I've taken him. 

Blood Wreches - CARDS. These dudes are great at hitting Serena or Teddy for cards. They are also solid late game scheme runners at Wk6 or can be made fast with Dreamer to be able to "rage builds" and then charge. That combo turns them into solid Ml6 beaters that get :+flipto attacks and do 3/4/6 damage drawing 2 discarding 1 after damaging. This is absolutely worth a master AP and the 4:crow needed. Plus I usually take Otherworldly for the Accomplice in this build, they can just got immediately after they get buffed. They're squishy though, so be careful with them. 

Mr. Tannen.- He is how you summon teddy's in the summoning build. Absolutely necessary. Underrated and powerful when positioned and activated properly. 

Just my opinion here, good luck on your quest with Dreamer, he's so much fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Fixxer said:

Blood Wreches - CARDS. These dudes are great at hitting Serena or Teddy for cards. They are also solid late game scheme runners at Wk6 or can be made fast with Dreamer to be able to "rage builds" and then charge. That combo turns them into solid Ml6 beaters that get :+flipto attacks and do 3/4/6 damage drawing 2 discarding 1 after damaging. This is absolutely worth a master AP and the 4:crow needed. Plus I usually take Otherworldly for the Accomplice in this build, they can just got immediately after they get buffed. They're squishy though, so be careful with them. 

I've been seeing a lot about Bloodwretches lately, which is surprising because I've never heard of them used outside of the starter box

• Respectfully Disagree 1

The key to getting the most out of them is in a crew that needs card draw (who doesnt, but summoners more so), heals models (or they come back to life anyway!), and can give FAST to utilize their offensive capabilities. Otherwise being Wk6 and Df6 means their not horrible scheme runners if the situation calls.

Dreamer is really the only place I use them honestly and its just because you can actually get the most out of them with his abilities/actions. I dont know another NB crew that can, all in one activation, let them get "the rage builds" and a charge off. I guess Zoraida could do it with x2 Obeys but thats a bit more taxing as opposed to 1ap from Dreamer and proximity to accomplice. 

Most of all, Bloodwretches are used as donors for Doppleganger who copy their Rage Builds, do it for free on 7+ tomes, and double strike someone for cards.

I call this pair "card-cycling engine" and use it in most of my crews. The best way it works in Lynch crew, with aces to discard and come back.