Monthly Painting Challenge - July

Franchute

Here is my work in progress on Rasputina.  Base colors are down and I did a bit of glazing on the white fabric at the back.  Happy with it so far.  I am forcing myself to finish the model before playing with the base, which is going to be a blast.  Cheers, all.  I hope I run into some of you at Gen Con in Indianapolis in two weeks!

2018July_Rasputina_WIP.jpg.8c7d3c95f27e797b2d7dff67e3abb563.jpg

• Like 6

Part 4: 
(I have been a busy boy... hopefully get as much done this week off before heading on holidays/GenCon)

Eternal Flame (2) + 18 = 20ss this month (making up for not doing anything last month, going to try and blast out more semi painted dudes and get above 80% complete, currently on 79%...)
20180722_111242.jpg

• Like 6

Apprentice Wesley added (with a typically bright sunshine shiny and blurry picture)
Which is 3 + 20 = 23ss so far

20180724_212446.jpg

Just in case anyone thinks I'm cheating and posting pictures of minis already in my collection (which you don't, because you're awesome and trust me), here is a picture of my paint station with partially done Wes and a few others who are on the way to being finished (atm I am clearing a lot of my 'part painted' collection)
20180722_113302.jpg

• Like 7

@Franchute that’s adorable!  Great job on the gems and the metalwork too. 

@Caedrus  your airbrush work looks fantastic. Drapery is one of the hardest things to paint with a brush IMO. When I can get back to painting I’m definitely giving this a shot. 

Right now though, I am sadly dropping out of the challenge. I continue to have RSI issues with my wrists and hands so I’m just not able to put in the time. It’s been fun! Keep up the great work, everyone. 

• Thanks 2

Caedrus, reporting in.

Among the craziness of a new edition being announced, I still have models to paint. Here goes!

@Franchute: I have painted 36SS of models this month.

1 Guild Guard [3], 1 Hoarcat Pride [4], 2 Fire Gamin [8], 3 Ice Gamin [12], and an Ice Golem [9]. If I finish anything else, I'll update (if I paint Dashel now, does he count as a Master? 😉). Meantime:

WduqfLk.jpg

Fqhwxsi.jpg

JdTSpun.jpg

MJ6EwJ5.jpg

KES0DWs.jpg

As always, I'm loving seeing what the rest of you do!

Wield those brushes!

Caedrus.

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Franchute said:

At least, I would have this one done this month for 5ss:

Yes, you did a great model, but honestly I hate that silly hat on the top of a robot! :Furball:

The really silly thing is that I bought these two models too and, soon or later, I'll have to fight with those hats! :Rat:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, prof_bycid said:

I am happy with how the base came out but not happy with her face, especially the lips.

Putting brush at face details is always risky, in my experience. Usually I prefer working faces with washes and when I'm not lazy I make use of light very diluite ones.

Anyway, that I see is a great model and I guess that live it's even better...... Cell cameras are powerful tools but most of time they put in evidence whan human eyes cannot see!

• Thanks 1

@Franchute We’ll see. 😉 I can only paint for 20 minutes or so per day, and not every day. I’ll have to shelve the Talos but maybe I can manage some smaller models. 

@prof_bycid Aside from the lips, what don’t you like about the face?  You’ve got properly placed highlights across the cheekbones, and shadows in the eye sockets and under the cheekbones. Both of her eyes are pointing in the same direction and the pupils are an appropriate size. I like the blue color you chose. With regard to the lips, I think a little contrast would help. Try painting the lips first with a dark blue, like navy blue. Then just highlight the bottom lip with your bright blue. The lips should still read as blue but they won’t blur into the skin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, misterfinn said:

I think a little contrast would help. Try painting the lips first with a dark blue, like navy blue. Then just highlight the bottom lip with your bright blue. The lips should still read as blue but they won’t blur into the skin. 

I like this idea a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Part (number) - the last two Iron Skeeters.. still not up to standard they'd be if I haven't rushed, but I had to get as much done as possible before GenCon splurging.... and I'm now on 80% complete, hurrah!

23 + Iron Skeeter (6) + Iron Skeeter (6) =  35 for the month 
Definitely finished for now, as I need to get ready to head to Canada tomorrow then GENCON roadtrip next week! I cannot explain how excited I am!!!

(All three are in the photo as they insisted on a group pic)

20180727_164418.jpg

• Like 3

@Caedrus, I just noticed now your "Ice Bases"! 

They are very effective, although I suppose they are resin bases casted to be used as rocky landscape! "Converting" them to ice is an idea I did not consider, but I'll try that next time I'll go after some Rasputina crew model. Unfortunately the only thing I did with my Rasputina is the base, that's almost finished. Well, I coud try with Hoarcat Pride, I have I box of them somewhere.

@Purple Mist - Yes, they're the resin 'slate' bases. I've used a combination of cork and Liquitex modeling paste in the past, and that makes a nice base as well. However, my favourite material to use at the moment is Atelier's Heavy Gloss Gel, which is very nice for the sheen of ice.

Best of luck basing your hoarcats. I had to look up if it was 1-to-a-base or three-to-a-base! Three on one base is not so easy!