Brand New and making decisions

viking_queer

There is no right answer to this, everyone is different. 

Personally I would suggest you get 2 master boxes and you just pick the boxes on what masters you think look cool. You then can learn to play with what you own, and decide from their how to expand. 

There are several peoples building on a budget articles, which you might find helpful. I think there is one in an old chronicles, schemes and stones podcast has done several shows on it, and I think we have several threads on the forums, but they may be pre nellie but at least give ideas. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'll second Adrian. You'll never regret picking up crew boxes as they're the only way to to get Masters, and most Totems or Henchmen. 

Pick up a couple of them and play some games with the models available to you before deciding what else to pick up. Lady J is probably the better second box for Nellie for building more diverse crews. Lucius and Nellie have more overlap in terms of function and you might find your lists are a bit pillow fisted if you only have  the models from their boxes to hire.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am a strong advocate of building your crew to match the game you play, so you don't just build 1 crew and use that every time. That said, when you start you aren't going to make many changes because you don't have lots of options, and while you learn the rules it's easier to not keep having to learn new cards. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Lady J is probably the better box to pair with Nellie - you get a second beater in the Judge and most of my crews get a Death Marshal. Just make sure you get Lady J's new upgrades, at least Swordfighter is pretty much an auto-take.

Huh.  I haven't ran the death marshalls except for jank crews at this point.  I don't think I've ever run one with Nellie, though the potential to push a model back to one, and then have that one box it outside of normal activation is pretty tasty.

Now that Lucius' aura buffs them they're great with him, and one in your back field is a good counter-charge. We don't have great sources of Paralyze so it's my favorite solution to the ever-popular alpha.

Sure you need a high card to force the first duel, but you only need to tie so...

I don't run Nellie, but that does sound fun.

*with Abuela they are a decent turn one taxi.

For me it is rule of cool when I start something new but I tend not to use anything that is not fully painted, ascetics first and could not care if it sucks in game.

So why do you want to start out with Nellie, is it the idea of running around saying bad things about people to drown them in their own tears.  Maybe it is the play-style of the crew or simply the ascetics.

• Like 2