Should I buy new stuff or will I never use it?

Meliondor

I am coming back to Malifaux again, since our 40k campaign ended :-). I am still uncertain if I should buy some new stuff or if i would never see playtime. For example I have my Hunters and the Pale rider at home, but never gave them much playtime. This is no big problem, but I just want to avoid investments in models, I will than rarely use. So what I think I could buy / want:

1. The 2 player starter box...just for Grimwell. Why? Because I have read here that his Push effect is nice for a Sonnia-first Turn nuke. That is all. I like winning games turn 2, so I thought he might be worth it.

2. Investigators - I read her, that they are OP?

3. jury: Her abilities seem interesting and she just seems like an other nice 8 point Guild Beatstick...I really enjoy the ones I already have and one more should be nice.

4. Monster Hunters: I read here that they are good?

5. Bishop - Actually only for Nellie. I got the Nellie Box and I think that a fast Bishop with debt to the guild might actually be fun...

6. Mc Tavish, Burst, Johan, Sue.... more mercs for Nellie? I actually have no Mercs, but I want to play the strongest Nelly list possible :-).

7. Quellers: Seem to be nice support models

8. Sanctioned Spellcasters: Seem to be nice combo pieces

9. Ryle: Do not have him...but Hoffmann. I think Hoffman with Cyborg-Frank and Peacekeeper should be fun? 

10. Executionier? Is he worth it now with his cheaper charge? Or are there better beatsticks?

11. Witchling Thralls: They seem really reslient and hard hitting? Or are our henchmen better?

For masters I will run: Sonnia, Lady J, Perdita, Hoffmann, Mc Cabe, Nellie.

So what are the units that I "need" to run? Or that are just good to have around?

From my very limited experience:

1. The 2 player starter box...just for Grimwell. Optimized for Sonnia with an investigator for the alpha strike list you mentioned, not used very much outside that (but a fast Grimwell with nellie could be fun two). I wouldn't buy him

2. Investigators - Not out yet but powerful, lot of people use them in competitive play. Not available yet I think

3. jury: I have her but I never used her, has some uses in some Nellie lists

4. Monster Hunters: one guy used 2 against my and killed my Emissary turn 2 so yes, they are good. Free AP is always good in this game and this models will generate between 1-4 extra AP per turn depending on how your oponent plays.

5. Bishop -Yes, and now is 1 point cheaper (9ss)

6. Mc Tavish, Burst, Johan, Sue.... I have them all, Hannah is fun two to have an 8 card hand.

7. Quellers: I have them and use them but they never do what they are intended to do:S The key use is to enchant beaters weapons to ignore damage reductions but my most sucessful game they striped suits from Yan Lo's casts.

8. Sanctioned Spellcasters: in my meta they are seemed as very weak, nobody uses them

9. Ryle: Do not have him...but Hoffmann. I think Hoffman with Cyborg-Frank and Peacekeeper should be fun? Yes, also can be used with Nellie as part of the beater's trio

10. Executionier? Is he worth it now with his cheaper charge? Or are there better beatsticks? Again, a fast Executioner with Nellie could be fun, he ignores DF triggers so an enchanted executioner charging collodi is almost = to a dead Collodi XD

11. Witchling Thralls: They have their uses, mostly with Lucius but I have used them with Sonnia, une queller with one Thrall and the new Sonnia upgrade to chain activate could be a lot of fun as both are witch hunters.

My play experience is far from recent but I'll give my 2 cent on what I've used.

Mercs (including Bishop) are good fun with Nellie. Not in any way necessary but you will get the use out of them and they give you the option of a different kind of crew.

Executioner also competes pretty well with the guild's usual suspects for Nellie thanks to being able to move+move+charge (or double charge on magical Christmas land). If you like alpha strikes then he'll probably appeal to you but isn't necessarily more effective than the henchman options.

Ryle I haven't used in a long while but I get the impression he's less even less viable than before due to other things getting buffed. You can totally run him and he's a nice choice for a leader in intro games with a construct theme, but he has a lot of vulnerabilities for such an expensive piece.

2 hours ago, longfanz said:

10. Executionier? Is he worth it now with his cheaper charge? Or are there better beatsticks? Again, a fast Executioner with Nellie could be fun, he ignores DF triggers so an enchanted executioner charging collodi is almost = to a dead Collodi XD

I tried this vs Collodi, but his personal puppet is not a DF trigger so even with 13 of crows all I managed to do was kill two marionettes. I should have charged the hooded rider instead and wreaked his day.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Corwin said:

I tried this vs Collodi, but his personal puppet is not a DF trigger so even with 13 of crows all I managed to do was kill two marionettes. I should have charged the hooded rider instead and wreaked his day.

Try combining him with condition from Queller :)

3 hours ago, longfanz said:

Executioner also loves having models pushed into him for extra attacks via propaganda/angry mob.  Glass cannons love extra attacks.

4 hours ago, Corwin said:

Yes, as other said that is the Queller's job, ignore all reductions and no DF trigger and collodi cries XD

Well, the more important question is what will you be doing?  if you're just playing to win in a very competitive meta, you'll have to look at what works in your meta and what doesn't.  I personally prefer playing a bit more of a laid-back game and like playing with different models--even if they aren't the *best*.

Investigators and Monster Hunters look like fun models.  Get the models that you want to get!  I find that in the right list most models can be competitive, so get one or two, try them out and see if you like them!

Thank you...so to get a better understanding, I have some questions to some models :-).

2. Investigators - They seem like sheme runners and anti-sheme runners with ok fighting abilities? I see not much else here

3. jury - I read her card on the app and I am underwhelmed. Why do people compare her to Franc? The best thing about her seems to be the 3 min damage....otherwise she is not hard to kill. Am I missing some great mask cmbos here?

5. The whole Mercs (Bishop, Burst, Mc Cabe and so on) - which one does guild run actually? And only with Nellie or something different, too? And is Nellie better with Mercs or just with the standard Enforcers of guild?

9. Ryle: I think he is really weak, especially compared with Franc or other great models. But I also see him played in Hoffmann lists all the time...So what would be an other good model for hoffmann?

10. Executionier - wow, the upgrade really seems to help him then. He was trash before :-). 

12. Death Marshal Recruiters - Are they good or a must have? For Judge / Lady J?

13. What about Domador De Cadaveres? Never heard of them or saw them....just in the app :-)

4 hours ago, Meliondor said:

2. Investigators - They seem like sheme runners and anti-sheme runners with ok fighting abilities? I see not much else here

free push on any close model when a marker is dropped near them + remove a marker to draw a card when it activate (these two thing are really good)... then they can actively annoy opponent or deny schemes with the stuff at the back of the card. Also have decent stats for 6 stones.