Imbued Protection?

cbtb11235813

When/on who do you bring this upgrade? At 2 stones I can never seem to justify it. I've been thinking about it on Amina, since she is sorta squishy, and df 7 can at least help with that, but that makes her an 11 stone investment. You could also throw it on the Ice Golem if you are bound and determined to make that model worth hiring. Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, cbtb11235813 said:

You could also throw it on the Ice Golem if you are bound and determined to make that model worth hiring. Thoughts?

Putting Imbued Protection on an Ice Golem just makes it a more expensive crappy model. The additional Df is meaningless, you are just paying for the extra wounds. 

• Like 1

Back when I played Mei Feng i'd put it on her, desperate to keep her alive somehow :P Heat Wave Kaeris can also use it to good-ish effect (Df 7 and the enemy that's the biggest threat should be -3 to their stat). Generally I don't bother with it though.

My initial impression of the book 1 Arcanist general upgrades was that the soulstone costs were the wrong way around-Imbued protection should be the one SS upgrade and imbued energies should be 2. My experience since has mostly confirmed those thoughts.

I've tried using it to increase Kaeris's survivability with Eliminate the leadership in the pool, with two outcomes-either Kaeris dies relatively easily anyway and gives away the points, or my opponent takes a different scheme and the 2ss spent on the upgrade are wasted. I'm pretty sure that a simpler and more effective approach to that scheme is just to use a less fragile master, especially in GG18 with Eliminate the leadership tied to a pure kill based strategy Kaeris is terrible at.

I've also used it to try to increase the survivability of Df6 models, mostly with Show of force to worry about, but there also I've found I'm adding a minor boost of survivability, while turning medium cost models into expensive ones and expensive ones into absurdly expensive ones. On anything living, Well Rehearsed provides a more reliable boost to survivability while also getting extra pushes. 

Mostly, my problems with it come down to the cost, and the lack of a certain benefit. If your opponent doesn't attack Defence directly, you're seeing no benefit, and if they don't attack the upgraded model, you're also seeing no benefit, and 2ss is an expensive upgrade to be seeing no benefit on when we have imbued energies at a lower cost that is certain to provide a strong advantage(even if your model dies before you use it for fast, you get cards). 

The Ice Golem.. is a bad, overcosted model, even post errata. I don't really see combining it with a weak, overcosted upgrade as likely to somehow produce a decent model.

10 minutes ago, Dereikt said:

My initial impression of the book 1 Arcanist general upgrades was that the soulstone costs were the wrong way around-Imbued protection should be the one SS upgrade and imbued energies should be 2. My experience since has mostly confirmed those thoughts.

I've tried using it to increase Kaeris's survivability with Eliminate the leadership in the pool, with two outcomes-either Kaeris dies relatively easily anyway and gives away the points, or my opponent takes a different scheme and the 2ss spent on the upgrade are wasted. I'm pretty sure that a simpler and more effective approach to that scheme is just to use a less fragile master, especially in GG18 with Eliminate the leadership tied to a pure kill based strategy Kaeris is terrible at.

I've also used it to try to increase the survivability of Df6 models, mostly with Show of force to worry about, but there also I've found I'm adding a minor boost of survivability, while turning medium cost models into expensive ones and expensive ones into absurdly expensive ones. On anything living, Well Rehearsed provides a more reliable boost to survivability while also getting extra pushes. 

Mostly, my problems with it come down to the cost, and the lack of a certain benefit. If your opponent doesn't attack Defence directly, you're seeing no benefit, and if they don't attack the upgraded model, you're also seeing no benefit, and 2ss is an expensive upgrade to be seeing no benefit on when we have imbued energies at a lower cost that is certain to provide a strong advantage(even if your model dies before you use it for fast, you get cards). 

The Ice Golem.. is a bad, overcosted model, even post errata. I don't really see combining it with a weak, overcosted upgrade as likely to somehow produce a decent model.

Part of your problem is you've missed one of the advantages of the upgrade. It discourages the enemy from attacking your model. So them not attackign the upgraded model is actually giving you value. Likewise if upping Kaeris defence means they don't think they can do Eliminate the leadership, you've just reduced their possible schemes from 5 to 4. 

The Discard effect of the upgrade to prevent damage normally pays back 1 ss from its cost in effect, because its doing the same as a prevention flip. So paying 1 SS for +1 Df is not bad. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, BFOmega said:

Execute triggers: Howard, Asami, Misaki etc. and devours ie Wendigo. Pandora mass 1 damage ping shenanigans too maybe?

Execute triggers don’t get around Well Rehearsed. It is activated when a model would be killed, not when a model has taken damage equal to its wounds.

• Agree 1

On 6/24/2018 at 5:34 PM, WWHSD said:

Execute triggers don’t get around Well Rehearsed. It is activated when a model would be killed, not when a model has taken damage equal to its wounds.

Huh, TIL. Devours do though still, since they sacrifice

• Like 1