Jackalopes and shapeshifting

Qualvanda

Do Jackalopes keep their critical effects when they "die"?

If you read the flavor text it doesn't seem like it, but nowhere in their skills does it state anything about it. 

I was wondering because of the Shapeshift magia. It says that you gain all of the creatures talents, and in my last fight I was at -16 wounds and the last one standing in my party, so in that case it would be nice to just have a nice way to heal 17 wounds and get rid of all crit effects as a fail safe. 

I mean I would never break the game in that way myself, but I was wondering if it was possible for people less honorable than me would think of it (A)

Based on the flavour text, I’d imagine that they’re even immune to critical effects since they would just regenerate. So yes they would revive without any.

As for shape shifting, yes you may be able to get the talents of a slate ridge mauler, but you would be a VERY injured slateridge mauler.

52 minutes ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

As for shape shifting, yes you may be able to get the talents of a slate ridge mauler, but you would be a VERY injured slateridge mauler.

Yes, that I am aware of. I was just wondering about if I could heal 17 wounds and all crit effects in one round, and then change back and start swinging my axe once more.

Also, if this works, can I get back loss of limbs in the same way? If my arm would get amputated, can I Shapeshift into a jackalope, die, and get it back?

13 hours ago, Qualvanda said:

Do Jackalopes keep their critical effects when they "die"?

If you read the flavor text it doesn't seem like it, but nowhere in their skills does it state anything about it. 

I was wondering because of the Shapeshift magia. It says that you gain all of the creatures talents, and in my last fight I was at -16 wounds and the last one standing in my party, so in that case it would be nice to just have a nice way to heal 17 wounds and get rid of all crit effects as a fail safe. 

I mean I would never break the game in that way myself, but I was wondering if it was possible for people less honorable than me would think of it (A)

Here’s the good news:  You’re acknowledging that the description of the jackalope ability leaves out the explanation of how it works.

Here’s the bad news:  The jackalope regeneration ability works however the Fatemaster wants it to work.

For example, consider that the descriptions in the bestiary are third person accounts and descriptions.  Jackalopes can’t talk, so if jackalopes went through Dr. Who style personality death and personality reincarnation when they regenerate, no one would know.

So if you shapeshifted into a jackalope, and got killed, what would happen to your character?  That’s entirely up to the Fatemaster.