Jump to content
KingCrow

Mei Feng Buff Idea

Recommended Posts

Mei's background focuses on her being attuned with forges and bending the metal to her will. Her combat style has always relied upon needing certain suits to get triggers off so what if she had an ability such as "The Forges Will - When this modeldeclares an action, deal 2 non-reducable points of damage to a friendly construct within 8 inches to add any suit to the duels total. This can only be used once per AP spent". The last part is added so that you can't use it on triggers but can still use the other upgrade to get different triggers. This ability, plus her upgrade that allows her to declare triggers on other actions would ensure that she is the "combo-queen" that she was meant to be. She can keep her minimum two damage on her attacks as she will Hopefully be getting more attacks off. 

She also has severe issues with survivability. So another idea I had was with her upgrade that allows her to draw a card and heal a point of damage when she kills a model should be changed to heal a point of damage when she damages an enemy model. Still draw a card when she kills an enemy model. Even with this and armor +1, she is still very vulnerable to a sustained assault and you have to have a high mask or stone for her Df trigger. There are a lot of other melee-oriented masters that have heals on their attacks and I believe she needs this to help her. 

One or both of these ideas would help her because as she is now... she's worthless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Problem is buffing her without making her too good with the Thunders. Keep in mind that she has easy access to summoning there, especially constructs (Komainu), so the buying of a trigger with damage would be a lot more potent for them than it would be for us.

Other than that, solid ideas :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe do it in a arcanist upgrade for mei feng? that way its buffing her arcanist side without making thunders side too powerful 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MuMantai said:

The Problem is buffing her without making her too good with the Thunders. Keep in mind that she has easy access to summoning there, especially constructs (Komainu), so the buying of a trigger with damage would be a lot more potent for them than it would be for us.

Other than that, solid ideas :)

Thank you!

We also have easy access summoning in the form of the Rider. Granted it is a 0 action but you're almost guaranteed a 4 cost construct and it only needs an unsuited 8 (after turn 2) rather than a 9 of Tomes. Plus, I like the idea of throwing a Gamin up into a group of enemies and killing it with this ability to make it explode. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe that could be converted into a useable (0) action that she has been lacking for so long.  Would need to gain that suit for the rest of her activation then to all duels, but would have mostly the same effect.

 

My previous thoughts on this subject was a riff on Reference the Field guide but instead Reference the Combo Guide and allowing to discard as many cards to add as many suits as wanted, hahaha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She already has masks built in which covers half her triggers for the claws. Just need a tome for the other triggers unless you are on about intimidating pose which I think I have rarely used.

Built in suit on defensive trigger would be nice or maybe higher df or ml (Although I do like my df7 mei anyway)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Masks just for the the Claws but there is all sorts of other triggers that it could help with.  

Most of the triggers are  - A crow and mask is needed for Ride the Rails on Press the Advantage, a crow is needed for the built-in trigger on Jackhammer Kick, a mask is needed on Thunderous Smash, a mask is needed on Passenger line on the Rail Lines upgrade, Tomes are needed for the triggers on Seismic Claws.  Plus you would have the option of being able to use any trigger with the Press the Advantage upgrade. Plenty of non-built-in triggers that this ability could help with. 

Also, heals would be amazing for her to stay alive while in the midst of melee. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took another look through her cards tonight. Most of her triggers are designed to do small amounts of damage to multiple targets, which in general is a recipe for disaster. 

Mei-Feng seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. She doesn't do damage reliably enough to be a beater, and her support abilities are not good enough to be a support master. She kinda does two things sub-optimally, and I think that's a tough problem to engineer with tweaks to her card / upgrades. 

I think you'd see her more if her attacks ignored armor / damage reduction. That way, the 2 damage she is typically doing is actually 2 damage and spreading that around multiple units becomes a slightly better play. It would also make opponents slightly more afraid of moderate damage coming from her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, KingCrow said:

Thank you!

We also have easy access summoning in the form of the Rider. Granted it is a 0 action but you're almost guaranteed a 4 cost construct and it only needs an unsuited 8 (after turn 2) rather than a 9 of Tomes. Plus, I like the idea of throwing a Gamin up into a group of enemies and killing it with this ability to make it explode. Lol.

I think Komainu are better summons for for a Mei Feng crew than anything Mech Rider can summon due to their ability to their ability to place in base to base contact with an enemy. 

They either get Mei Rail Walking into a nice spot or the can stop enemies from getting pushed back if Mei starts chaining attacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Thottbot said:

maybe do it in a arcanist upgrade for mei feng? that way its buffing her arcanist side without making thunders side too powerful 😁

Please no more fixes that require an upgrade on a master. Mei already has enough upgrades that I have to choose between I don’t want to have to start her down a slot because there’s a must take fix upgrade.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@KingCrow Really like your ideas. Ideally the first one would go on her base card or an existing upgrade (maybe the new use all triggers upgrade?), she really need more upgrades (unless it's like Tara's new 0ss take them all! upgrade, which I actually think would be a really good idea!).  I like the Errata to Price of Progress, it might actually see some tabletime with this boost...

22 hours ago, MuMantai said:

The Problem is buffing her without making her too good with the Thunders. Keep in mind that she has easy access to summoning there, especially constructs (Komainu), so the buying of a trigger with damage would be a lot more potent for them than it would be for us.

Other than that, solid ideas :)

While she's maybe better in Ten Thunders, she's definitely not top of the heap there either and I don't think either of the two suggested changes would see her go OTT. All of the problems these boosts are trying to change still hit her hard in 10T. It's just the internal balance of Arcanists is much more obvious when you're comparing her to the likes of Sandeep, Marcus & even Ironsides.   

21 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Please no more fixes that require an upgrade on a master. Mei already has enough upgrades that I have to choose between I don’t want to have to start her down a slot because there’s a must take fix upgrade.

This is probably the biggest point here.  Mei already has too many upgrades that are good & worthwhile.

1 hour ago, grim_stoki said:

I took another look through her cards tonight. Most of her triggers are designed to do small amounts of damage to multiple targets, which in general is a recipe for disaster. 

Mei-Feng seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. She doesn't do damage reliably enough to be a beater, and her support abilities are not good enough to be a support master. She kinda does two things sub-optimally, and I think that's a tough problem to engineer with tweaks to her card / upgrades. 

I think you'd see her more if her attacks ignored armor / damage reduction. That way, the 2 damage she is typically doing is actually 2 damage and spreading that around multiple units becomes a slightly better play. It would also make opponents slightly more afraid of moderate damage coming from her. 

Agreed on your first two points and they're why I think the boosts should apply to both factions, not just Arcanists.  However, she does have a way to ignore armour (& Hard to Wound) via the Hard Worker upgrade. Sadly, it costs a (0) Action (not a big deal unless you also take Wind on Wings in 10T) and more importantly, a card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really dont see this buffing her much as most the triggers outside of multiple attacks or burning dont get used unless you have the card in hand or if you really need it you burn a stone.

the price of progress one is nice for those times I remember I have put it on her but more substantial buffs would be better like a built in suit on trigger of increase to min damage or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2018 at 9:15 AM, MuMantai said:

The Problem is buffing her without making her too good with the Thunders. Keep in mind that she has easy access to summoning there, especially constructs (Komainu), so the buying of a trigger with damage would be a lot more potent for them than it would be for us.

Other than that, solid ideas :)

Would take quite a lot to make her too good =p

 

Sadly I think shes gonna be crap this whole edition. I would like to think Wyrd cares about her and wants to make her work but it sure doesnt seem like it =(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be interesting if they went all in on the support side with her. She got more with the foundry walk speed and railwalking with friends upgrade. Maybe include add a trigger to use vent steam to railwalk, whether innately or on vapormancy.

Could have something like any friendly auras from Foundry models in range of Mei Feng also extend from her. Most foundry models actually have an aura of some kind, so you could extend the bubbles that way. Or maybe something that just extend the range of foundry auras and pulses.

Maybe on a zero action, since she doesn't have anything good there. First railwalk per turn as a zero perhaps? Or something that draws cards. Because she needs some kind of damn card draw currently.

Doing all of these is probably too much, but it is an interesting direction to go with is, and could make the foundry tag matter more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×