Starting Asami, What To Buy.

INXVI

Hey, so after playing Neverborn for a year, I've filtered which masters I want to play in the faction and I've figures I fancy a change. So I bought myself Asami, with some Jorogumo and Obisian Oni, here's a list of what I own in total.

Asami's Crew + Summons
Jakob Lynch's Crew
Mr Graves
Mr Tannen
Bunraku

Any advice of what to buy next? 
Thanks for any responses.

Assuming by summons you mean ALL of them (Jurgumo, Tengu, Amagama, & Obsidian Oni), standard generic stuff would be Yasanori, Ama no Baku, and Shadow Emissary.

After that, it comes down to what you want your crew to do.

• Like 1

Other good models to add could also be: Low river Monk, Yasunori and TT sniper.

Yasunori is Fantastic! An excellent Beater and is an Oni.

Low river monks, are good for remove conditions, with them you can also attach one cost 0 upgrade on a model for have one healing action.

TT snipers have a good synergy with Asami, because she can gives to oni or minions focused +2 condition.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I didn't really like the Shadow Emissary with Asami that much... I also haven't tried the Terracotta, but haven't really found I needed it.

A model I really liked though was a Samurai.  Having some ranged firepower, really helped out, as well as having something that could ignore armour.

The list I really like using is:

Declared Faction: TenThunders 

Crew Name: Asami 50ss 

Leader: Asami Tanaka - Cache: 5ss

A Heavenly Design 2ss 

Bad Hair Day 1ss 

Equality 1ss 

Yamaziko 6ss 

Yasunori 13ss 

Smoke Grenades 1ss 

Samurai 8ss 

Favor of Jigoku 0ss 

Chiaki the Niece 6ss 

Ten Thunders Brother 5ss 

Charm Warder 5ss 

• Thanks 1

I've been thinking about Yamaziko and wasn't sure about getting her, but at 6ss, 3/4/4 is pretty nice, think I'll grab some Ten Thunders Brothers as well and Low River Monks.
Thankfully, 2 of my mates have the Emissary so hopefully I could trial run it. I'll read up about the Charm Warders when I get home.
I'll definitely try out a Samurai, I wasn't a fan when I first saw them, but having the positive flips and ignores armour will be nice, thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, INXVI said:

I've been thinking about Yamaziko and wasn't sure about getting her, but at 6ss, 3/4/4 is pretty nice, think I'll grab some Ten Thunders Brothers as well and Low River Monks.
Thankfully, 2 of my mates have the Emissary so hopefully I could trial run it. I'll read up about the Charm Warders when I get home.
I'll definitely try out a Samurai, I wasn't a fan when I first saw them, but having the positive flips and ignores armour will be nice, thanks for the advice.

Samurai need their 0ss upgrades.  For Asami, I want the ranged firepower and don't really want to devote cards to it to ensure a hit, so I go Jigoku. The +++ to hit usually means they have to either cheat or let you hit, which gives you card advantage to devote to other stuff winning the duel.  One of the best things about Asami, is that she only needs 9s for her premier summon (Yokai), so you can spend your high cards to ensure you hit/dodge attacks. On the other hand, Earth can be good if you have plenty of healing.  I just find Jigoku a bit more flexible for what I want. Yamaziko is just really solid for 6ss.  She's great to protect your models from charges, Brace Yari as a (0) is so good!  Her damage track is actually 3/3/4, not 3/4/4, but she has a built-in trigger for blasts. She's also really good for Supply Wagons if you play that thanks to Nimble, she can push the wagon 6" a turn & then Brace Yari!  If you hire a Jorogumo, putting Smoke & Shadows on her for spidey-teleporting shenanigans is super fun!

The Charm Warder is there for variety, I was playing with two Ten Thunders Bros and was never disappointed, so I'd highly recommend them before Charm Warders (who you'll only want one of and require careful positioning so you don't give your own summons the Entropy condition).  Thunder Bros are amazing all-rounders, arguably one of the best models we have.

5 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

Pathfinder also works quite well with her, he can blast, ignore armor and he can give you a card per turn quite easily

Pathfinders are really good too! Small thing, but the ignore armour trigger requires a Mask, which Asami may want (although she can stone for it!). Also, Asami can give him double Focus which really helps for that Blast!

Really though, there's no set list of what to buy, you can make anything work and really depends on your meta.  If you're in a new up-and-coming meta, I'd recommend against Yas as we will blow crews away by himself.  My biggest advice would be to test a few models and crews before buying and see what works for you (i usually steer away from "Internet wisdom") and what you enjoy playing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice, I'm not too bothered about the Yasunori right now. My meta has started playing competitively, but I'm playing Neverborn (specifically Collodi and Lilith) competitively, so Asami will be for fun, for now then competitive later on.

I mainly picked up Asami because I love pushes and buffs, Collodi opened that up for me, pushes are probably one of my favourite aspects of Malifaux as weird as it sounds. The fact she can push, place, summon, assist models (charge for 1 ap) she's the kind of master I want, it's the style I love.

I have a good mate who plays 10T, and he'll happily let me lend some stuff for some trial games :)

I forgot Yamaziko is mod 3, I really need to stop trying to remember things off the top of my head for models I don't own.

I'll definitely try out Samurai after all the advice and see if I like them :)

• Like 1

On 6/6/2018 at 8:41 AM, Da Git said:

Pathfinders are really good too! Small thing, but the ignore armour trigger requires a Mask, which Asami may want (although she can stone for it!). Also, Asami can give him double Focus which really helps for that Blast!

Am I missing a trick here, how does Asami give the Pathfinder focus+2, he isn't an Oni?

1 hour ago, TeddyBear said:

She can give out Focused +2 cond. at Oni and Minions

I used to have a build before wave 5 where I had Malifaux Child next to either Pathfinder, Katanaka Sniper or Freikorp Trapper, personally doling out Focus to them.  Was a pain in the ass more than effective.... but what a pain in the ass!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My new two always-take models have become Yamaziko and a Crime Boss.

If you are taking a Tengu with Yamaziko, taking a torakage makes a fun rush up the board if you take smoke and shadows.  I've done this many times where I move Yamaziko, drop a scheme and move again, the Tengu hops up to that, then just runs forward.  The Torakage just shadow walks off of the Tengu and has moved over 20" forward to either drop schemes or interact.  It's a fun little ploy.

With Jorogomu being able to use smoke and shadows too, having them shadow walk away, even if summoned, dropping them in a completely new position always fun.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1