1st game table. Please help!

Soulflayer777

Hi everyone! Im attempting for the 1st time to make a game board and im trying to figure out how to achieve this. Also, should i use mdf with styrofoam on top, or just use the board itself and sculpt on the wood? Id like it to be mostly a city style board with possibly a few grassy areas on the outskirts. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Screenshot_20180602-075248.png

Styrofoam is mostly useful for building up height, so if you aren't planning on having built in elevation differences on the board it's unnecessary. You could use it for raising up paths and stuff, but it can be kind of annoying to work with when it's thin, unless you can get sheets of the high density stuff fairly easily. 

There are a few threads that might give you inspiration here and check out the Terrain Tutor on Youtube for tips on working with various materials. 

• Like 1

That would be awesome. im trying to upload a cpl pics of my progress and it wont let me. Anyhow i got a 4x4 piece of mdf and im going to attach 2x6s around the top of it, thus creating a 3x3 interior and a 6inch spot for stat cards, books etc all around. But now im at a total loss as to how to proceed. Indecision perhaps is a better word. I want a city style layout like in the initial pic, but my terrain/scenery building skills are amateur (and thats being generous). I have a sheet of the hi density styrofoam; still need a hot wire cutter. Ive attempted cobblestone using peeled foamboard (which peeling is a huge pain in the ass). If i was making a board for warhammer and just doing landscape terrain, i wouldnt be struggling so much. But i really want a loose cityscape similar to that pic, for maximum diversity in using buildings and scatter terrain and whatnot.

You could get one of those cobblestone playmats, madaxeman got great use out of one in his thread here and while it's an extra investment the time it saves you is massive. It's also nice to have for a quick play-surface when you can't bring your table with you and most companies will put in lines for deployment, centreline etc if you think that would be helpful. 

Whatever you decide to do I'd recommend drawing out some potential layouts and thinking about how they'd work in game. Start with a rough idea on a sheet of paper and when you're it'll play well happy draw it out for a final playtest before covering it up with terrain. 

Think I'm the only person on the boards who used any foam type stuff for their city build. It's really better for stuff like hills as you've mentioned. Cities tend to be designed more flat with buildings and there's probably better ways to get steps and raised areas than what I did. If you wanted to go for a half city, half wilderness board that could be cool and give you a good use for the foam.

I imagine a frontier town or something being reclaimed by the wilderness could be a cool look and give you a good range of options for terrain types. If you don't want to go down the cobblestone route then something desert based with boardwalks or jungle/forest with overgrown flagstones could give you more options for the main board surface.