Monthly painting challenge - June

Franchute

Hello,

Here is the thread for June of the monthly painting challenge. Please post your pictures, plans and discussions for the month here.

I'm also copy-pasting a reminder of the rules and the principles of the challenge:

The idea of the challenge is a motivational one. It is simply a friendly painting community---not a competition---that we use to find motivation to finish painting our Malifaux miniatures. You pledge an amount of soulstones that you will be painting each month of the year 2018. If you want to enroll for the challenge, it's too late because you would use too many mulligans.

I'll use the following spreadsheet to keep track of each one's situation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zYYugrSGk_4GTo8OjHjyfI_ruYWYOSnhy7U2ivbgfZ8/edit?usp=sharing

Some specific rules:

• Models count for the month in which you finish them. 
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge.
  • You can choose to go down in the pledge hierarchy during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • You may choose to sign up during a later month for the challenge but this means that you'll have to use one or two of the aforementioned mulligans: e.g. if you start in February, one mulligan will already been used; if you start in March, two mulligans will already been used; you cant start in April.
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones
  • Terrain count too. Terrain must be painted and is treated like zero cost models (i.e. count for 5 soulstones). The piece of terrain must be significantly largert than a 50mm marker.

Caedrus, checking in!

I pledge 3SS of Guild Hound!

...and whatever bits and pieces from my tray of shame. Including, but not limited to:

• 3 other Guild Hounds;
  • Arcane Effigy;
  • 3 Mindless Zombies
  • A Performer;
  • Guild Guard;
  • 2 December Acolytes;
  • Lazarus;
  • 2 Ice Dancers; and
  • A Friekorps Trapper!

SGjCvzk.jpg

Yeah, I'm having myself on, pretty badly.

Have a great painting month, fellow painters!

• Like 4

I'm planning on a big month... which I may miss on some of... but we'll see I guess! 

I'm pledging: 

Widow Weaver - 8SS

Will 'o Wisps x 3 - 9SS

Yasunori - 13SS 

Hannah - 10SS

Young Nephilim x2 - 12SS

The Illuminated x1 - 7SS

Black Blood Shamans x 2 - 14SS 

for a grand total of 73SS 

I'm also hoping to get cracking on my Pandora set... but that may be getting overly ambitious... she may have to wait till July.

large.1591240985_JuneModels.png.6bd9a624

• Like 3

I've got this to begin with :  

image.png

1 Low River monk : 4 SS
2 Moon Shinobi : 10 SS
1 Fingers : 10 SS
1 Brewmaster : 15 SS
1 Austringer : 6 SS
1 Tanuki : 5 SS
2 Fermented river monks : 10 SS
1 Apprentice Wesley : 3 SS
1 Akaname : 4 SS

For a total of 67 SS

And probably a bit more stuff to come :)

• Like 3

@bedjy That represents about my yearly painting outcome, so you motivated me to up my June pledge to FOUR minis. YOLO :D -----

I am taking a break from Arcanists and focusing on Neverborn:

+finishing Lilitu (her skin is almost done already)
+two Sorrows 
+Baby Kade

All four are the V1 metals as I am a big fan of the sculpts. Very easy to build too -one to two pieces each :)  The only downside is a very annoying mold line on Kade's head and the paint that chips away easily from pointy bits.

• Like 2

Here is my pledge for june:

4 Abominations = 16 SS (I really don't like these models, so nothing fancy here)

Marlena Webster = 8 SS 

Angelica = 6 SS

Carlos Vázquez = 9 SS

Myranda = 8 SS 

Jackalope = 2 SS

For a total of 49 SS. Bonus model if there is time will be Cojo. 

Well, after last month I really want to take it easy, but there's just too many Outcasts I want to paint.

20180601_091436.jpg.bbacb1235b17b579b802fcd35866303a.jpg

First Objective is to finish Datsu Ba, the Doxie, and three Drowned for my friend, along with Alt Bishop. Then, for me, Vintage Misaki, Shang, Alt Lazarus, Hans, and two Desperate Mercs.

Then, as an art project, I may get to the Curiosity Killed the Cat box and Vinage Haemlin. I hesitate to actually pledge them, since I really don't plan the put much paint on the models, but the bases will be fun, methinks. In either case, I want to share the progress with you all!

20180525_231950.jpg.4f9f9826d055eb96ef74abb7fac24192.jpg

• Like 3

Here’s my pledge for the month as a tournament on July 1st will need a fully painted Ulix crew..

A275013_F_58_C3_4660_832_D_2444_A1_EC30_

Ulix - 15ss

Meris (almost finished) - 6ss

Sow - 8ss (I think, card not nearby)

boar - 5ss

fingers - 10ss

trixie - 9ss (I think, card also nowhere to be found)

terrain piece - 5ss

approx 58ss, I know, I know, I never get so much done in a month, but let’s see

• Like 4

A quick update:

After a productive day of casting, basing, gluing, and undercoating, I'm here:

Wxgigqb.jpg

Those hounds will not take long.

There's two primed guild guard to go with these 3 TTB models as proxies. And yes, I've hacked Lady Justice's hair off. Time for greenstuff! Watch this space...

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Viruk said:

Metal version of Voodoo Doll and the avatar model, which I plan to convert and use as master

Athough an interesting alternative to plastic models I fear metal minis are more difficult to assemble, manipulate and paint. But all, they look quite rare on the market.

22 hours ago, Boomstick said:

Curiosity Killed the Cat box

Hi, 

I bought that same box but did not punt hands on it yet. How is it cleaning fusion lines on transparent plastic figures? Did you suggest to use some special glue when assembling them?

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Purple Mist said:

Athough an interesting alternative to plastic models I fear metal minis are more difficult to assemble, manipulate and paint. But all, they look quite rare on the market.

This one needed no assembly - all in one piece. But I agree, metal models can be tricky to work with (for example Hooded Rider)

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2018 at 2:18 PM, Purple Mist said:

Many of them are actually in one piece, no glue required. Even Teddy, which is quite big, is only one piece! On the other hand, I am rather intimidated by metal Nekima. With her huge wings and thin legs, she looks like a difficult model to put together.

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2018 at 8:22 AM, Purple Mist said:

How is it cleaning fusion lines on transparent plastic figures? Did you suggest to use some special glue when assembling them?

For all the translucent models I've done I've used an exacto knife to scrape the lines and to lightly score contact points instead of using files. Filing translucent plastic has muddied it up worse than the glue I use, which is the gorilla super glue gel. It will fog it up if you use a bunch, but very light usage I haven't noticed any fogging.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PetitDalek said:

On the other hand, I am rather intimidated by metal Nekima. With her huge wings and thin legs, she looks like a difficult model to put together.

Yeah, large multipart metal models almost always require some pinning and gap-filling. The nice thing about plastic models is that plastic model cement actually melts the two parts of the join together a little bit, so the bond is very strong. With metal models, CA glue just works as an adherent so you need to reinforce the bond. One note about pinning: many online tutorials will tell you to use paper clips as your pinning wire. I advise against this -  22 gauge brass wire is the way to go because it doesn't become brittle over time.

15 years ago all we had was metal warjacks and dreadnoughts and cavalry and greater daemons. You kids have it easy nowadays. 😊

• Like 2