Trying to start a League ((ADVICE NEEDED))

GhostMonk

So, been looking into it. I wanna start a league down here in Southeastern CT, but.......problem is. Every shop owner I've talked to has said "no one plays" and they seem reluctant to stock the miniatures since no one really plays in the area. What do you guys think I should try and do? Stage my buddy and I playing games at the shops and try to build interest? Kinda at a loss for this one....and no clue what to do.

Do you have players that have committed to playing in the league, or are you trying to generate interest in the game by starting a league?  If you have players already interested tell the owners, show them a sign up sheet, and maybe that would convince them to carry the product.  If the league is to generate interest in the game, I'd personally say that's really ambitious.  Demo days are a better option, or playing the game at those stores to get some attention to it.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, (Keenan) said:

Do you have players that have committed to playing in the league, or are you trying to generate interest in the game by starting a league?  If you have players already interested tell the owners, show them a sign up sheet, and maybe that would convince them to carry the product.  If the league is to generate interest in the game, I'd personally say that's really ambitious.  Demo days are a better option, or playing the game at those stores to get some attention to it.  

So we don't have anyone that we know of yet. So we're thinking maybe talking to the owner of the local shop and do a demo. Maybe try and build interest. I mean I've got enough miniatures in the 3 weeks I've been playing to build a few crew's and picked the game up pretty quick and so does my buddy. Show them that 2E is basically the 8th edition version of 40K. Noobie Friendly

If you have a group that already plays tabletop start by lobbying them, I'd recommend lobbying malifaux as a skirmish game that only requires ~20 models and two hours on a 3"x3" board (that's how a friend of mine reeled me in (and wildly inaccurate I might add)). If it's only the two of you I'd ask for a demo table on game nights and start playing against each other (hopefully reeling in others). I wouldn't ask the local store to order the models until you're at least 10-12 dedicated players.

• Agree 1

Tabletop players are definitely your best bet for recruitment.  Playing games with your friend and/or having demo days when GW and PP players are there for their regular nights should get some interest, especially if your models are painted (decently, not professionally).  For demos, I like the idea of a 'Henchman softcore' game.  Teach the mechanics without overwhelming the new player with things to keep track of, and don't put a time limit on it.  

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:19 PM, (Keenan) said:

Tabletop players are definitely your best bet for recruitment.  Playing games with your friend and/or having demo days when GW and PP players are there for their regular nights should get some interest, especially if your models are painted (decently, not professionally).  For demos, I like the idea of a 'Henchman softcore' game.  Teach the mechanics without overwhelming the new player with things to keep track of, and don't put a time limit on it.  

Yeah that's what we've been practicing on, like this past Saturday at his place we played a Standard game of Turf War loaded with assassination rules. I wound up winning 7 to 0 only 'cause I kept pushing him off the point every chance I got and then held him back. But I digress, We'll probably set something up not on purpose soon.