New to Malifaux

GhostMonk

So I'm completely new to Malifaux. I'm curious though......I picked up Shenlong's crew, along with a Shadow Emmisary and Dawn Serpent. What else should I consider as I'm just getting into the game and wanting to build some decent lists to learn on. I know a friend is hooking me up with Mizaki, and I plan on picking up The Living Armor there Izamu (I think is the name) and the Terracotta Warriors

I'd recommend against Yasunori to start with as he may turn into a bit of a crutch...  Shenlong's great in that he makes any crew just better.  It also really depends on how competitive you all are.  A lot of the advice on the forums are just the optimal tourney choices. If everyone's just beginning, then play whatever you like & you'll probably have a good game of it! 

We're not so hard core, so I usually like a good range of mid-level beaters with him.  A mix of Crime Bosses, Samurai, the Lone Swordsman and the Emissary. 

My big advice would be to leave it with what you've bought/are buying.  You've got a good selection of models there to experiment with to get you into the game. If you really want to give Wryd some more money (who could blame you :) ), then the only model I'd actually really recommend would be the Monks of Low River.  Not only do they get you a heap of cards with the Shenlong's Emissary they're also really good healers (with their upgrade) and scheme marker droppers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The standard shen core is basically shadow emissary and one low river monk, to make use of his conflux to draw 3 cards. 

Aside from that, he plays well with a lot of models. So as Da Git said, I would look first for just having fun with what interests you. 

If you have a more competitive meta that is playing what wins, let us know and we can all chime in on how to take him to the next level. 

Shen is one of the, if not the, most complex master out there, so don't hesitate to ask questions on piloting or how to tackle certain problems. :D 

9 hours ago, InvokeChaos said:

The standard shen core is basically shadow emissary and one low river monk, to make use of his conflux to draw 3 cards. 

Aside from that, he plays well with a lot of models. So as Da Git said, I would look first for just having fun with what interests you. 

If you have a more competitive meta that is playing what wins, let us know and we can all chime in on how to take him to the next level. 

Shen is one of the, if not the, most complex master out there, so don't hesitate to ask questions on piloting or how to tackle certain problems. :D 

Right now i'm only playing my buddy. All the shops 'round me got burned on 1st edition and 1.5 so they stopped carrying the models, and to boot there is little to no interest. Everyone here is only hyped for 40K or Star Wars Legion. But, i'm hopefully gonna fix that. But I've definitely been eyeing the Monks of Low River, and the snipers. Mainly 'cause of the models. Which is why i pretty much picked up the shenlong crew. I have The Thunder coming in, plus some Guild Miniatures because I get bored playing one faction all the time (hense why i'm 5 armies in 40K lol). But.....i'll definitely keep asking for tips because after playing the starter box, and about 3 or 4 full games with my buddy. I'm loving this so much more then any table top i've played. We're even exploring getting a grop together for INto the Breach

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you're still playing!

Well, the beauty of TT is that so much of our faction is dual-faction.  If Guild is interesting to you, I recommend getting the McCabe box.  While the Wastrels are not the best model, McCabe is a lot of fun, as is Alchibal, his henchman.

With Misaki, from The Thunder, you'll get access to the Outcasts.  Currently, I run her with the Katanake Crime Bosses, Wokou Raiders, and Yamaziko.  All good models.

The fun part of Ten Thunders is they are so diverse it feels--sometimes--like you're playing five different armies.

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, Drowsheep said:

I hope you're still playing!

Well, the beauty of TT is that so much of our faction is dual-faction.  If Guild is interesting to you, I recommend getting the McCabe box.  While the Wastrels are not the best model, McCabe is a lot of fun, as is Alchibal, his henchman.

With Misaki, from The Thunder, you'll get access to the Outcasts.  Currently, I run her with the Katanake Crime Bosses, Wokou Raiders, and Yamaziko.  All good models.

The fun part of Ten Thunders is they are so diverse it feels--sometimes--like you're playing five different armies.

Oh I haven't given up, buddy and I try to meet up at least once a week to play. So far I'm on a winning streak. Last game we played we took the advice of everyone. We randomly drew schemes (after sitting down and writing them on cards). Battle looked one sided at first but turned around very quickly when I got an assassinate off on his leader with Yamaziko.

Definitely plan on picking up McCabe, since I plan on doing an all cowboy themed list for the guild that I have called "The Law Rides On.." and then another list for Ten Thunders called "The Dragon Meets The Bull dog"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Play what you want but I will say Mei is very solid.  Vent Steam will ruin my opponents plan and that Toshiro summoning engine can get crazy.  Her box is great too.  Kang is amazing amd rail workers have an awesome moderate damage that isnt too hard to achieve with their tactical.