Carlos` Dance of Flame and Armor condition

Tris

Question

So, a question arised in the arcanists forums but nobody seems to care about asking around, so I´ll do that now :)

So, Carlos "Dance of Flame" ability says:

This model has the following Condition at the same value as its Burning Condition, up to a maximum value of 2: Armor +1 .....

A Steamfitters "Weld Metal Plate" for example gives the Armor +1 Condition on a trigger, until the end of the game.

Question is:

Burning goes away at the end of every turn, and so does Carlos inherent armor, normally.

But what about the Steamfitters armor condition which says it stays until end of the game?

Do they just merge and all armor is lost every turn because he reduces burning to 0?

Or does he now always have armor +1, plus whatever he get`s from his own burning?

Seems like they couldn`t come to a conclusion here:

so out of curiosity I would like to settle the matter, if possible :)

s

• Thanks 1

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

The use of "has" is a bit confounding as to whether you could claim that only part of it came from burning so it's not super clear if he will have armour equal to his burning or his burning +1 but the stacking rules are quite clear on it all ending when the last applied instance of the condition ends.

I'm leaning toward there only ever being 3 possible values for Armor on Carlos, no armor, Armor +1, or Armor +2 do to the "has" wording on Dance of Flames.  The wording of that card doesn't give a point in time that the Armor condition is increased or decreased, it seems like it would be a constant evaluation of Armor Condition equals Burning Condition (max of +2).  

• Agree 2

Before anyone says Carlos already has armor so Streamfitter you can't give it to him.    The Streamfitter would have to do a Interact to remove burning before putting armor on him.

My read is
Dance of flames says model has the following condition (Armor +1) based on its burning condition to maximum of 2   If he has no burning condition, then he has no armor.   This will remove any armor given to him.  This is because it says he has the condition. Not he gains the condition.  If it said gain the condition, then I believe that it will add on to any armor that he has.

• Like 1

If the steamfitter applied armour first they would merge into a single armour condition because that's how stacking conditions work (p52). They also take the end condition of the most recently applied one (which is the burning timing from Carlos).

The old conditions timing is forgotten as far as the game is concerned so you can't keep it if your burning goes away. 

The use of "has" is a bit confounding as to whether you could claim that only part of it came from burning so it's not super clear if he will have armour equal to his burning or his burning +1 but the stacking rules are quite clear on it all ending when the last applied instance of the condition ends.

If he had gained the armour Ability equal to his burning this would have been a lot clearer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1