How do you McMourning?

Regelridderen

Hi, As I'm just having fun painting up McMourning and his crew, I start wondering about how to use the guy. It seems pretty straightforward, when it comes to ressers, pile up a ton of poison, transfuse a little poison and go to town with whatever is available - and poison.

Looking at guild, things look a little less straightforward. Few immediate ways of poison, no easy Transfusion etc., so how do you put the doctor to work?

You rely a lot less on poison for McMourning himself because expunging and not getring a 6ss model for your trouble is insulting. 

I kind of run McMourning like an interference model. Between Francisco, his ml heal thing and the brutal emissary buff he becomes a great deal more survivable than he is in ressers. The chihuahua and Sebastian are usually my only models really messing around with poison like in ressers.

I'm a fan of his other (0) to push and place a marker, it works well for thralls in particular.

• Like 1

He is somewhat interesting as an anti-resser as well with his new upgrade that lets him use (0)s to discard corpse markers. Enemy undead also means you get better mileage out of rancid transplant.

In theory he should be able to use nurses to give something armour and negatives and then let a friend ignore armour and attack it. I have never felt that trick was very useful but these days you can use a queller to apply the armour ignore instead of McMourning's ap. You can also give a friendly family model armour +2 and negatives to then shrug it off so only the armour stays. More expensive nurses does sting though, not sure either trick is really worth it. 

51 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

He is somewhat interesting as an anti-resser as well with his new upgrade that lets him use (0)s to discard corpse markers. Enemy undead also means you get better mileage out of rancid transplant.

In theory he should be able to use nurses to give something armour and negatives and then let a friend ignore armour and attack it. I have never felt that trick was very useful but these days you can use a queller to apply the armour ignore instead of McMourning's ap. You can also give a friendly family model armour +2 and negatives to then shrug it off so only the armour stays. More expensive nurses does sting though, not sure either trick is really worth it. 

One nurse trick I like it's with the family models.  Those models (papa, Santiago) can get armor then shake the negatives with shrug off.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Regelridderen said:

How about something like Plastic Surgery and the domadors Command Undead?

Yes. Definite yes on that! Didn't you do that with rogue necromancies 4thstringer? Wicked shooting platform if you can keep them healthy. Not sure what you would want to turn undead but I'm sure there are numerous evil combos.

I have not played McM, only against him, but here is what I've gathered from playing people very good with him. Sebastian is amazing (I hate him), guard him more carefully than you do McM, because your opponent should probably be gunning for him first. Sebastian and the Chihuahua running together can do a fair amount of non-attack damage just by standing in the right spot. Sebastian's crazy 8:ToS-Aura: really forces your opponent to make some hard choices. "Do I activate *insert important model* now and eat 3 unreduced damage, or try to kill/move Sebastian first" or the great "I have one model left to activate, it has 2 wounds left, is poisoned, and standing right next to Sebastian. What do?" Also, merc in Arcanist performers. They have a better expunge than anything McM can do as a built in trigger on their lure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Yes. Definite yes on that! Didn't you do that with rogue necromancies 4thstringer? Wicked shooting platform if you can keep them healthy. Not sure what you would want to turn undead but I'm sure there are numerous evil combos.

I just thought, that opponents would hate it, if anything that went near McM had a tendency to turn against them. That and Rancid Transplants of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

Some people like to buff McMourning with Francisco standing quite close. I’m just saying. ;) Also, what about a sympathetic domador (I’m sure the Whisper will start chatting with them soon) with a floating farting study object?

Sebastian is the leader of Guild McMourning and should be treated as such, is my view now, and as such I’d be giving him the El Mayor (or even, gods forbid, buff the chihuahua on turn one just to launch its farts forward and laugh until I cry as the enemy inevitably dogpiles the ankle-biter). McMourning gets medicated and becomes the fast-moving flanker that has 3AP, +5” push which sometimes occurs twice, and sometimes +2 Wk on top of that.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I did domador with 3 rogue necros and a bell, but I think I prefer two monster hunters to the belle/RN combo.  I'd need to play it, but the stalk shot repeater (pulling them back with an inject if necessary) is all my dreams come true.

8 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

Some people like to buff McMourning with Francisco standing quite close. I’m just saying. ;) Also, what about a sympathetic domador (I’m sure the Whisper will start chatting with them soon) with a floating farting study object?

Sebastian is the leader of Guild McMourning and should be treated as such, is my view now, and as such I’d be giving him the El Mayor (or even, gods forbid, buff the chihuahua on turn one just to launch its farts forward and laugh until I cry as the enemy inevitably dogpiles the ankle-biter). McMourning gets medicated and becomes the fast-moving flanker that has 3AP, +5” push which sometimes occurs twice, and sometimes +2 Wk on top of that.

I like this idea.  The floating farty bois are really a pain in the butt with Sebastian (I've played against it).  Maybe it would help me to not suck with the good doctor.

Adding on, McMourning is really just there to be a big distraction and wrench in your opponents plans. With his own heal and the brutal’s buff he’s hard to put in the ground and can tank a lot of damage. Meanwhile, Sebastian and the chihuahua are killing models, the nurses are paralyzing big threats, and your schemers are scoring points.  It’s a fun list and can be quite powerful in the right matchups. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Regelridderen said:

How about the ‘Unknowable Pain’ upgrade?

Could be interesting with the Jury perhaps. I've tried it in a single game but it didn't do much for me. Relying on the enemy attacking the thing you want and having an appropriate mask to take damage but now give away a positive flip wasn't easy. Cheating down when someone is missing you just felt wrong.

• Like 1

Here's what I ran today.  Declared Faction: Guild 
Crew Name: bears beets bsg 50ss 
Leader: McMourning - Cache:(4)
   Test Subjects 1ss 
   Guild Coroner 1ss 
   Badge of Office 2ss 
Slate Ridge Mauler 7ss 
Slate Ridge Mauler 7ss 
Slate Ridge Mauler 7ss 
Slate Ridge Mauler 7ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Guard 3ss 
Guild Investigator 6ss 
Guild Investigator 6ss 

I was honestly impressed by the guild coroner ability.  It meant he actually got a lot done (even though I bjed 2 damage flips on killjoy), getting me inescapable trap points and getting me card draw. If my opponent hadn't had so many things that didn't drop corpses it would have been even better.

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
56 minutes ago, Richard matthews said:

I was considering trying him out not sure what to run I do like myranda but not sure how viable she is in his crew as I don't think he will be relying on poison like in ressers, im quite excited to get playing him I think he could catch people by surprise. what are your thoughts on him.

I don't think if you run Myranda you are running her for her poison ability.  

@Richard matthews Healing is very rarely worth it except to bring something back above hard to kill or three headed. Damaging attacks do a lot more damage than heals do for models in the same soulstone bracket. Myranda has a very nice walk value and a good beast buff though and when you get tired of that she becomes a cerberus. A win/win to me, I like bringing her.

A cerberus with debt to the guild has potential for fantastic damage but most of the guild henchmen are probably more reliable as damage dealers.

Sebastian and the chihuahua are amazeballs together.