Starting Malifaux, help getting started with Kaeris :-)

Faitfull

Just wanted to say thanks. Have ordered a kaeris crew box. Will consider what else to get. Want both ironsides and ramos. But My wallet say only one of them. And now one of My friends talk about starting grimlings. Thinking perhaps split the new through the breach box

46 minutes ago, Faitfull said:

Just wanted to say thanks. Have ordered a kaeris crew box. Will consider what else to get. Want both ironsides and ramos. But My wallet say only one of them. And now one of My friends talk about starting grimlings. Thinking perhaps split the new through the breach box

The Backdraft box looks like it’s going to be good for Kaeris. We haven’t seen the actual stats but what we have seen has me very hopeful.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 5/19/2018 at 8:49 AM, Faitfull said:

For a little stupid thought. I do love female models! A little sad I know

That's one of the strengths of the Malifaux line of models. I don't think it's silly or sad at all. When I have enough Arcanist models, it'd be fun to run a 100% female miniature crew. I've seen all female crews come up for sale on eBay, too, though all in different factions than Arcanists so far.

I especially like the female sculpt of the Union Steamfitter. Since most players seem only to use one Steamfitter at a time in their crews, you could probably pick up just the female sculpt from a private seller if you were lucky. 🙂 That's what I did for mine.

And again sorry that this noob I am, keep taking your time so much! Your help so far is really a big help!

Many forum users love to talk about Malifaux, so noobs are a constant supply of new opportunities to do it. Several forum users are going to enjoy typing responses to your questions, so it's a win/win.

The reason I get bringing the gunsmith up, is proberly a bit stupid. The reason is i really like the models look. And have a crazy idea that they might synergies well with kaeris. I might be very wrong offcourse.

In the previous edition/sculpt of the miniatures, two Gunsmiths actually came in Kaeris' metal crew box, instead of the Firestarter & Eternal Flame that come in the current plastic edition. So if they're going to synergize with any Master, it stands to reason that they're likely to be Kaeris.

Also, buying, painting and playing with the models you like the look of is a completely valid way to collect Malifaux. As you mentioned in a different reply, you are more interested in having fun games than necessarily playing with the best possible tournament-level lists. So what if Gunsmiths don't make it into the top tournament Arcanist crews? They look cool, and they're not completely useless, otherwise they would never have passed playtesting and been released as models. With the combo of Gunsmiths and Fire Gamin, maybe you'll be able to make crews that have quite a bit of ranged threat and damage output in their own right, with applying burning being a secondary benefit.

Dont know about willie. he seems like fire all day long. Dislike the model. so perhaps in that case, see if I can get miss fire instead if that is a good choise.

Sometimes you can find Miss Fire for about $5 USD on eBay if you're lucky. Another way to do it will be to try to buy her online from Wyrd's own webstore on the so-called Black Friday online sale on 23 November later this year. (We don't know for sure what will be available, but many of the alternate sculpt models were temporarily available at the recent Easter sale).

On 5/19/2018 at 3:51 AM, Faitfull said:

So would you recommend kaeris plus ironside or kaeris plus Carlos and gunsmiths as My first buy 

I don't want to dissuade you from looking at Carlos. But just from a purely practical point, his miniature is tricky to put together and then is fragile to transport. You'd be wise to have a very good foam or magnetic system for safely transporting your models to games before you assemble and paint Carlos. Maybe you already have a lot of assembling experience and some good ways to protect and transport your models from playing other systems of miniatures wargames previously?

It doesn't have to be your first buy, but I would also suggest looking at Johan (or Johanna, if you can track down the alternate female sculpt and don't mind spending a little more). You pay an extra ss (soulstone) to hire him (or her) as a Mercenary in the Arcanist faction, and the cost has been errata'd up by 1 ss to what the card that comes in the box will say. He can remove conditions, has solid attack, and can heal himself and other M&SU models. Of those you've mentioned maybe buying, the M&SU models are Kaeris box: Kaeris, Eternal Flame, Firestarter. Ironsides box: Ironsides, Mouse, the Captain, Oxfordian Mages. Plus Gunsmiths, Willie/Miss Fire, and a whole bunch of the other models already mentioned in this topic by other users.

On 5/20/2018 at 10:37 PM, Scatterbrain said:

That's one of the strengths of the Malifaux line of models. I don't think it's silly or sad at all. When I have enough Arcanist models, it'd be fun to run a 100% female miniature crew. I've seen all female crews come up for sale on eBay, too, though all in different factions than Arcanists so far.

I especially like the female sculpt of the Union Steamfitter. Since most players seem only to use one Steamfitter at a time in their crews, you could probably pick up just the female sculpt from a private seller if you were lucky. 🙂 That's what I did for mine.

Many forum users love to talk about Malifaux, so noobs are a constant supply of new opportunities to do it. Several forum users are going to enjoy typing responses to your questions, so it's a win/win.

In the previous edition/sculpt of the miniatures, two Gunsmiths actually came in Kaeris' metal crew box, instead of the Firestarter & Eternal Flame that come in the current plastic edition. So if they're going to synergize with any Master, it stands to reason that they're likely to be Kaeris.

Also, buying, painting and playing with the models you like the look of is a completely valid way to collect Malifaux. As you mentioned in a different reply, you are more interested in having fun games than necessarily playing with the best possible tournament-level lists. So what if Gunsmiths don't make it into the top tournament Arcanist crews? They look cool, and they're not completely useless, otherwise they would never have passed playtesting and been released as models. With the combo of Gunsmiths and Fire Gamin, maybe you'll be able to make crews that have quite a bit of ranged threat and damage output in their own right, with applying burning being a secondary benefit.

Sometimes you can find Miss Fire for about $5 USD on eBay if you're lucky. Another way to do it will be to try to buy her online from Wyrd's own webstore on the so-called Black Friday online sale on 23 November later this year. (We don't know for sure what will be available, but many of the alternate sculpt models were temporarily available at the recent Easter sale).

I don't want to dissuade you from looking at Carlos. But just from a purely practical point, his miniature is tricky to put together and then is fragile to transport. You'd be wise to have a very good foam or magnetic system for safely transporting your models to games before you assemble and paint Carlos. Maybe you already have a lot of assembling experience and some good ways to protect and transport your models from playing other systems of miniatures wargames previously?

It doesn't have to be your first buy, but I would also suggest looking at Johan (or Johanna, if you can track down the alternate female sculpt and don't mind spending a little more). You pay an extra ss (soulstone) to hire him (or her) as a Mercenary in the Arcanist faction, and the cost has been errata'd up by 1 ss to what the card that comes in the box will say. He can remove conditions, has solid attack, and can heal himself and other M&SU models. Of those you've mentioned maybe buying, the M&SU models are Kaeris box: Kaeris, Eternal Flame, Firestarter. Ironsides box: Ironsides, Mouse, the Captain, Oxfordian Mages. Plus Gunsmiths, Willie/Miss Fire, and a whole bunch of the other models already mentioned in this topic by other users.

Thank you.

I have played warhammer, 40k, flames of war, infinity and so on. So quite used to handling models. But always Nice to know when models can be a little brittle. 

Ah, a full female crew sounds fun. 

Johan does sound like a solid option. 

I can image that it should be a second master box, that would be smart to buy first for the diversity. I do happens to have magnets and a little figure drill. 

Really looking forward to get kaeris in My mail. 

1 hour ago, Faitfull said:

I do happens to have magnets and a little figure drill. 

If you do pick up the Ramos box magnetize his spiders. 3 spiders on 30mm bases can combine to make a swarm on a 40mm base. His box comes with a total of 6 spiders. You are probably going to need more than 3 spiders but it would be rare to need more than 6.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say thank you. Your advice and help have been important to me. 

I have ordered the Backdraft box, found one to share it with to lower cost, some gunsmiths since they are Lovely models and Carlos Vasquez. 

The next buy at some point should proberly be ironsides or so.