New player, what to buy?

HadjiMurat

A friend of mine is considering to start playing Malifaux, and Neverborn is the faction he wants to start with. So the question is what to buy? Since I know he likes most of the masters my question is;

1. What 2 masters boxes would you buy to get the most out of the models in the box. There is a lot of master crew boxes in other factions with models that are very useful with other masters as well, like belles, nurse etc (Ressers).

2. What models is a "must" have in Neverborn? I do see doppleganger comes up many times, other models?

Cheers!

1. For a new player, I'd suggest Lynch and Lilith. Both are pretty straightforward but still reward clever play. Titania is superb, but mightn't be so good for a new player.

2. Doppelgänger works well in almost literally every crew. I'm also a fan of Lelu and Lilitu in most Neverborn crews, although the latter is far more popular. A good beater is also handy - for the suggested boxes, Mr Graves is a great choice. Lynch would benefit from some Beckoners, while Lilith does well with Nephilim of any kind.

• Like 1

Lynch, lillith and titania are all great as their boxes gives you models that other masters want. Lynch might be a bit squishy for a new player.

Dreamer is a good master if he wants to focus on a single master at first, as he can do a lot of different play styles, but his summoning means he'd like a couple of extra boxes, at least, to bring out his full potential.

Pandora is a bit difficult and her box isn't really used by other masters. But she's a solid master once you learn how to use her.

Colloddi, Lucius and zoraida all have the problem that they want a lot of models that are out of faction and can't be used by other masters.

For extra the usual suspects are: nekima, doppelganger, Mr graves, Lelu and lilitu.

On top of that I'd add mysterious emissary (with a box of changelings, who are also great on their own), rider now that he's 10 stones and mysterious effigy.

Generally speaking we don't really have any weak masters after wave 5 and most of our really weak models are in master boxes, so, unlike some other factions, it's hard to go truly wrong when starting out.

This is because neverborn are awesome and the true masters of malifaux.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angelshard said:

Colloddi, Lucius and zoraida all have the problem that they want a lot of models that are out of faction and can't be used by other masters.

Which out of faction models do you consider Zoraida to need?

Important to remember is that if you're both starting out, you don't need all the "must have" models at once. You maybe won't even be playing 50 stone games in the beginning and bringing in 13 stones of Nekima then becomes a huge point sink.

I would definitely get Mr. Graves and the doppelganger, (although I haven't used her much lately) and primordial magic if you're getting Titania our Lilith. With Lilith you will want to play her cherub in scheme heavy pools but the primordial in others. With Titania you probably want the primordial. If you go Zoraida you'll want will o'the wisps (always) and Waldgeists if you do swampfiends or stitched together, Iggy and wicked dolls (comes in Collodi's box as well) if you don't care so much for Bad Juju. If you think you'll get up to 50 stone games quickly I might have gone with Nekima. I sometimes found myself out-beatered in Neverborn, Nekima helps with that.

When I started Neverborn a little under a year ago I got Lilith and Lynch, then soon after Titania and Zoraida. I don't know which I've played the most but probably Titania and lately Zoraida. The one I'm least enamored with is Lynch, and I don't really use anything from his box, though Mr. Graves often sees play as a budget beater and utility piece with his push. Lately I've been playing Zoraida a lot with puppets, so stitched together and wicked dolls, which is a great lead in to Collodi which will probably be my next master.

• Like 1

@emiba She needs none, she wants quite a few.

Of course you can play her using only in faction models, but the option of hiring in strong models from other factions is part of her card, plus one of her upgrades.

No you don't have to use the ability or upgrade, but you should certainly be aware that they exist and the flexibility they can give you.

Not pointing this out is doing him a disservice, at least in my book.

As to starting out, my impression is that it's a new guy joining an existing group, so I'd expect him to progress to 50ss games rather quickly.

• Like 1

@emiba I have been playing since the start of Malifaux, but I have very little knowledge of the Neverborn. And since my playing "group" all that time has been two people (Big fishes in a very small pond, myself included, he he), I have not played against Neverborn either (except 2 games againts 1 ed Lilith). But I see that I wasn't clear about that, and that was something to take in consideration.

We'll definitly go straight to 50ss games. He just have to catch up!

Thank you all for super helpful answers!

Cheers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Angelshard said:

@emiba She needs none, she wants quite a few.

Not pointing this out is doing him a disservice, at least in my book.

As to starting out, my impression is that it's a new guy joining an existing group, so I'd expect him to progress to 50ss games rather quickly.

It was less questioning and more asking as I'm learning to play her myself. ☺️ I would love to hear which out of faction models are good for her. Apart from nurses.

4 hours ago, HadjiMurat said:

@emiba I have been playing since the start of Malifaux, but I have very little knowledge of the Neverborn. And since my playing "group" all that time has been two people (Big fishes in a very small pond, myself included, he he), I have not played against Neverborn either (except 2 games againts 1 ed Lilith). But I see that I wasn't clear about that, and that was something to take in consideration.

We'll definitly go straight to 50ss games. He just have to catch up!

Thank you all for super helpful answers!

Cheers.

I should probably learn to read more carefully... Still, even if it's about joining a group and get to 50 stones quickly, I still think Mr. Graves, doppelganger, Nekima is a good start. I like Waldgeists as well, they're really durable for their cost. Rougarou might be a nice addition if he's getting Titania or Lelu and Lilitu.

• Like 1

Both papa loco and pere ravage can be quite fun with her, they're easy to deliver and can put out a world of hurt if the enemy is grouped. First mate lets you devour whatever your doll paralyzed. Either costing the opponent resources or a model.

Mctavish is still solid even with the price increase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like no one has been answering your first question. I would answer Lilith, and Titania.

Here are the units that each box contains which are playable with other crews.

Lilith

• (H) Barbaros, known for his (0), which makes enemy models pass a WP duel to attack units other than him.
  • (M) Terror Tots x 3, they are considered the best Neverborn scheme runners. (Tied with gupps)

Titania

• (H) Aeslin, I know little about her, my friend who plays titania doesn't like her.
  • (M) The Tooth, Thorn, and Claw. 3 different units, but they are all similar, they are good, and all have lures.

Pandora

• (H) Candy, I only use her with Pandora.
  • (E) Baby Kade, I mostly use him outside of Pandora.
  • (M) Sorrow x3, I only use them with Pandora.

Zoraida

• (H) Bad JuJu, I like him and use him in my crews, this might be an unpopular opinion of mine
  • (M) Silurid x3, These are great scheme runners, but a bit expensive, and Gupps are usually used rather than these.

Collodi

• (H) Vassilia, She doesn't seem to be popular
  • (M) Wicked dolls 3x, They aren't too popular either.

Dreamer

• (E) Coppelius, Tho he is a decent model, he is the only model in the dreamer box, to be likely used outside of the dreamer (out of 9 models)
  • (P) Alp, x3, 3ss peon model, you'll likely never see them outside of the dreamer crew, and they'll likely not even be hired by the dreamer, as he summons them.

Jakob Lynch

• (M) Illuminated x3, Only model in the box that can be used elsewhere, I have only ever seen these in Jakob.

Lucius, all his crew contain crew models only, except for him and his totem( I think ).

So, I recommend Lilith and Titania, for the scheme runners, and the autumn knight's lure. if you had to pick one, I'd go with Lilith, as all her models get seen in other crews.

I think enough people have answered #2.

Edit: forgot about the alps

In much the same way Barbaros is great with Titania but not that great with Lilith, Aeslin is far better with Pandora, specifically Box Opens and Woe is Me Pandora. Once you get a few Misery bubbles down, her Wicked Silence close attack is doing upwards of 4-5 damage per hit, of which she can make 3 thanks to it being a Ca action and having Casting Expert.

4-5 damage is Moderate to Severe levels of damage, and she'll be doing it without making a damage flip so all you have to do is draw. Armour above +1 also only reduces it by 1 thanks to the Misery damage being separate sources, and it also bypasses Hard to Kill.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 10:22 PM, Arlos896 said:

Speaking of Titania, any idea when her crew box will be back in stock? I am super intrigued by her but was heart broken to discover she is out of stock everywhere 

I'm in the same boat. I started playing in March, and have been reluctant to pick up many new models after my initial purchase because she was what drew me to the faction to begin with. She's been out of stock for at least a few months now, and it's already starting to hurt my desire to jump deeper into the game.