Does Ulix need to go whole hog?

Ludvig

Because of low willpower I'm casting a longing eye at gremlins.

Ulix looks amazing because I love pigs. Since I don't have the time to collect the entire faction I was wondering if you can just dip a toe in with Ulix. Maybe just use his box, some piglets and one of the big pigs but keep it light. I have McTavish already because of Zoraida and he seems to combo well with the boars at least. What sort of functions/models would I be missing?

I don't count on reaching top tables or anything but I would like to be able to play a decent game against a player at my skill level.

• Like 1

I started Malifaux with Ulix and my collection was almost entirely pigs for a while. Slop Haulers are a pretty essential edition I'd say. If your just going to pick up Ulix casually you could do just fine with his box, some piglets, maybe a war pig and slop haulers.

• Thanks 1

For some reason i don't like War pig. This requirement to declare triggers makes it hard to control. I was tinkering lately on Ulix focused on summoning Piglets only with support of The Sow, 2x Swine Cursed, Old Major, Mech Porkchop and Slop Hauler/Hog Whisperer. I must say it looks promising now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, daniello_s said:

For some reason i don't like War pig. This requirement to declare triggers makes it hard to control. I was tinkering lately on Ulix focused on summoning Piglets only with support of The Sow, 2x Swine Cursed, Old Major, Mech Porkchop and Slop Hauler/Hog Whisperer. I must say it looks promising now.

I also had pretty good results with not summoning the War Pig and focusing on summoning Piglets...I just thought that's because I was terrible and wasn't playing it right! I will also echo your vote for The Sow and Old Major. Maybe even Sammy to hold the Hunting Bow? Maybe the problem with that is that it starts to get into a territory where its hard for Ludvig to just dip his toe into Gremlins by way of Pigs.

Thank you both for some excellent advice!

I just got offered to buy the sow from a mate so I'm getting her. While I like the warpig model I will have three boars from the box and they feel similar enough that I can run them instead since they have some obvious similarities. The mechapork could come in handy for Mei Feng so I had been looking for a reason to get it and several pigs are beasts or swamp fiends so I could use them with Marcus or Zoraida while I'm building the collection. With the support models you mentioned that looks like a reasonable enough list of purchases for me. I'm a big fan of playing painted and not buying too much before painting so this would likely take me a while to collect.

Are there obvious gaps in that lineup? It's a bit light on higher station models for some schemes perhaps? I have assumed piglets could scheme decently enough and the big pigs with hunting bow can do some decent killing.

Mechporkchop woul be nice for cool charges from him+old Major.
You better have 1-2 warpigs (9ss summon model is great) and they are pretty cheap - bought mine from players that recieved them from mysteryboxes as warrabits.
IMO you need to have slop hauler(healing)+Merris(3 scheme markers each turn for summoning and scheme running) and may be Burt/Tawish(because you have him) as all-around tool.
So if id started Ulix from zero (already have everything for him) i'd bought: box of piglets, 1-2warpigs, Meris, slops and Burt. If you have Mei Feng then 6ss mechporkchop is also amazing thing.
I think it will be enough for lots and lots games when you will understand what to do next.

• Thanks 1

I think to play casually you're going to be fine with basic box (by the way, one of the least-value boxes in the game IMHO, as boars with Ulix are seldom useful) and some pig additions. However, I think for more competitive gaming you'll need to dip into Gremlins a bit more. Currently I play with Slop Hauler, Merris, Crier, Iron Skeeter etc.

• Thanks 1

I like to summon a War Pig from time to time, the set up is not all too bad with corn husks (imo the key upgrade to successfull Pig-Lists) and Merris.

While War Pigs can be problematic to controll, they have a certain thread associated with them and mess with your opponents mindset.

Also, I seem to be alone with that opinion, I like wild boars. I try to place em from the shadows so that I can put pressure on my enemy on turn 1 and 2 so I can get into Position with all my other stuff. Also they sometimes kill Nekimas or Hannas on Turn 1.

So Yeah: I agree with Slop Haulers, Merris and Burt (+Gracie, if you have Stones to spare) and a Hog Whisperer.

The most important Thing to me is to keep Old Major and Ulix alive.

• Thanks 1

Ulix was what got me into the Game! 
I saw pigs and wanted to deal in Pigs and Pig accessories!

For just a Dip into the faction to do Pig like things I would start with:
Ulix Crew Box
Piglets [To summon obvs]
The Sow/Gracie/MechaPork [atleast one of these to have 2 pigs to summon off of]
Slop Haulers [Mass healing is great!]
Warpig [Atleast 1 to summon] 

I would say that is your Core Swine Line up. I havent gotten Hog Whisperers yet so cant speak to how good they are but that would be my next pickup after the list above.

With a little bit deeper dip
Swine Cursed [Beaters, shootum in the rear]
Hog Whisperers [Reactivate the big pigs]
Merris [Specially if you get blasted off the table often]
Pigapult [Long range Scheming]
Sammy [to hold the bow]
Burt [he beastly]
2nd Warpig
the other 50mm Pigs [options are great]
Moar Piglets [youll run out quickly and want more]

Hope this helps :D 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel Hog Whisperers sadly are not as "vital" anymore because between Ulix and Penelope you can keep a decent control on the pigs, plus Major makes sure your own pigs are not targetable. And if needed, now there's the 1SS upgrade that does just that...

Mechanized Porkchop is cute and is a cheap 50mm pig but always underperformed for me.

Sow/Gracie are absolute beasts (see also 

However one of the things I have against them is that they are costly. Sow dies actually pretty quickly if targeted. Gracie doesn't but there are a lot of things that ignore Armor these days...and she does have only 8 Wds, so in the wrong situation she can really go down quickly too. Then 20% of my crew is gone for good...

So I started to avoid relying on big pigs for damage, and instead of hiring them, I summon them. You can reliably summon 1 war pig per turn, provided you have at least a 12 - you don't even need a suit. With my build I can theoretically summon 2, at least Turn 1, even though sometimes you don't have two 12+ (despite card cycling!). Otherwise, summon Piglets. Swarm the board, and use Warpigs and Piglets as huge distracting pieces. Warpigs have a lot of Wds and take some effort to be killed. Piglets are extremely annoying and can double as scheme runners too. And the best thing? They're expendable. When the opponent finally kills my two Warpigs, I still have pretty much 50SS worth of crew...as for Piglets, usually the opponent doesn't even bother killing them, and then you have a whole bunch of free models tying your opponent and running schemes.
I remember a game vs Reva where she had two Warpigs in the middle of her crew Turn 1, the whole crew never passed the halfway line, and Reva was constantly tied up and couldn't cast. Beautiful :D

Summoning pigs also means you can use your SS to hire gremlins instead, so the always useful Merris for example...I love also Trixiebelle, she allows you to cheat initiative and her Lure on Pigs can push them very far thanks to their huge Cg.

The downside is that you need a lot of warpigs (I have two, now need to buy a 3rd one because more than once I needed 3 on the table at the same time).

...haven't tried Swinecursed, I love them with Wong, but I feel they might not perform the best with Ulix...

• Thanks 1

@edopersichetti The theory behind their use would be that you also want to ignore reducions and that they have range 2 which isn't all that common on pigs. 

Facing a lot of guild I wouldn't mind charging one of these guys from Major's aura to go after something with both armour and htk like Francisco or Phiona.

9 hours ago, Ludvig said:

@edopersichetti The theory behind their use would be that you also want to ignore reducions and that they have range 2 which isn't all that common on pigs. 

Facing a lot of guild I wouldn't mind charging one of these guys from Major's aura to go after something with both armour and htk like Francisco or Phiona.

True - although I feel without the Ooo Glowy they miss out on their full potential, they can be useful for ignoring reductions and range. Joss is another good target ;)

I think they'd require careful interaction because in some moments they'd be better as pigs, and in some other they'd be better as gremlins...plus the heal is always necessary.

...have to try them!

• Like 1