Use of Wyrd IP Question

The context of this question is with only full permission from Wyrd...

Is the manufacture and sale of products using Wyrd's IP a "never going to happen, don't even ask" thing? 

Or, by properly submitting a Request Use of Copyright Materials, is it possible to enter into an agreement with Wyrd to do such a thing (for example, by agreeing to pay a licensing fee, or paying royalty as a percentage of gross sales, etc.)? Obviously, any such product would have to be approved by Wyrd to satisfactorily represent their brand in a way that brings them credit.

17 minutes ago, Drazulfel said:

The context of this question is with only full permission from Wyrd...

Is the manufacture and sale of products using Wyrd's IP a "never going to happen, don't even ask" thing? 

Or, by properly submitting a Request Use of Copyright Materials, is it possible to enter into an agreement with Wyrd to do such a thing (for example, by agreeing to pay a licensing fee, or paying royalty as a percentage of gross sales, etc.)? Obviously, any such product would have to be approved by Wyrd to satisfactorily represent their brand in a way that brings them credit.

Plastcraft and Customeeple both officially licensed scenery and/or markers for the game, so I guess the door isn't always closed. I'm guessing they're fairly restrictive though...

It's not that Wyrd, or anyone else, enjoys keeping a choke hold on their IP rights but that it's protection against losing out on revenue.  They don't want someone from where ever producing goods for sale with their IP and not getting a percentage.  If you put the time and effort into developing "Little Timmy and the Toy Train" into a worldwide franchise and there's a guy in his basement in southern New Jersey stamping out key chains with "Little Timmy and the Toy Train" logo making money hand over fist, then you're not making money on your Intellectual Property that you spent time developing.

I would suggest you reach out to Wyrd about what you're interested in doing and let them guide you to the correct group/person to talk to.  The worst that happens is they're not interested and say no.  Actually, they laugh manically say no then hang up on you.  That's worse.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, JBugman said:

It's not that Wyrd, or anyone else, enjoys keeping a choke hold on their IP rights but that it's protection against losing out on revenue.  They don't want someone from where ever producing goods for sale with their IP and not getting a percentage.  If you put the time and effort into developing "Little Timmy and the Toy Train" into a worldwide franchise and there's a guy in his basement in southern New Jersey stamping out key chains with "Little Timmy and the Toy Train" logo making money hand over fist, then you're not making money on your Intellectual Property that you spent time developing.

I would suggest you reach out to Wyrd about what you're interested in doing and let them guide you to the correct group/person to talk to.  The worst that happens is they're not interested and say no.  Actually, they laugh manically say no then hang up on you.  That's worse.

Oh, I understand the reason for protecting one's IP. My question only arose because there's a Wyrd forum post on the topic that states "You may never sell items using Wyrd’s IP."

I did fill out a request for use of copyright material with an explanation of what I had in mind and submitted it through (what I think to be) proper channels. Now we shall see. :)

• Like 1