Guild in the competitive scene right now

4thstringer

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

I remember hearing on a Flippin wyrds episode that Matt was running a Sanctioned spellcaster with a bunch of our really good henchmen in Nellie.  It made me so happy, as I have run that turret before, but I hadn't heard of anyone else running that.

No one plays Nellie around here but spellcasters are outrageous with the new 8ss dreamteam even without extra ap. 

18 minutes ago, Dirach said:

I am to lazy to figure out my self. What is the Sanctioned Spellcaster trick? And what is the 8ss dreamteam? 

Spelccasters can make any friendly (non-master) model ignore all forms of damage reduction. The 8ss dream team is just referring to all our henchmen like Francisco, Phiona, Samael and all the others. They can easily hit at least min 4 with debt but often even higher if you stone/cheat rams.

4 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Spelccasters can make any friendly (non-master) model ignore all forms of damage reduction. The 8ss dream team is just referring to all our henchmen like Francisco, Phiona, Samael and all the others. They can easily hit at least min 4 with debt but often even higher if you stone/cheat rams.

You’re thinking Quellers, not Spellcasters. 

• Thanks 1

The idea with the spellcasters is that every henchman and master in your crew gains a 1ap action to let them do an 1ap action, no flips required.

Spellcasters Ca attack is not half bad, so you build kind of a gunline with them, lure proof as soon as one of them get`s to activate and us them as "turrets" in scheme pools where ranged damage output is viable again.

Also in this crew are 2 to 3 Henchman who can counterstrike if necessary.

Concentrating all your ap on one or two ranged damage dealers in a good position is not bad considering that some of their triggers are really good too :)

If you can draw a bead on something squishy it might be worth the ap but the spellcaster is often doing less damage than an attack from most henchmen that could use their ap on it and you can't stone for the triggers so you'd need to have the right cards and a board where everything except the spellcaster didn't have anything worthwhile to spend ap on. The singularity tactical is solid against lures so they do have that going for them against certain enemy tactics. Df 5 and 5 wounds won't really last you long though, that's pretty much a single focused shot from a lot of models.

26 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

If you can draw a bead on something squishy it might be worth the ap but the spellcaster is often doing less damage than an attack from most henchmen that could use their ap on it and you can't stone for the triggers so you'd need to have the right cards and a board where everything except the spellcaster didn't have anything worthwhile to spend ap on. The singularity tactical is solid against lures so they do have that going for them against certain enemy tactics. Df 5 and 5 wounds won't really last you long though, that's pretty much a single focused shot from a lot of models.

There are also henchmen that more often than not mostly focus on just standing in the right place, and they usually don't need all their AP to do that. Francisco, Sidir and Queek fall into that category, and even though they also have pretty good ranged attacks of their own the Spellcaster could still be useful as an alternative attack vector. Phiona and Jury on the other hand don't have (useful) ranged attacks, so it happens to me fairly often that they are left with some unused AP when I'm positioning them for counter charges or big activations with Fast in the next turn. That extra AP could be funneled to the caster as well. The reason why I don't really use spellcasters often, is that I have difficulty fitting them in with all the henchmen I have in my lists (as it's not very uncommon for me to have even 4), but I could definitely see the value of bringing one instead of a reporter for some games.

• Like 1

I find it to be mainly a first turn move that can catch people off guard.  First turn you rarely need to protect someone else, so you put Franks buff on the SS, then use master and henchmen activations to move him up to a good spot to shoot out at your opponents.  Ive taken pretty big pieces like Howard off the board first turn with that if people aren't ready for it.  If they fire a lot at it, then every miss helps build soul charge.   I usually don't activate the SS until last, so the arcane shield helps keep it upright too.  The lures arent that big a deal because you have a high willpower with el mayor and honestly if he gets pulled up its a cheap model that still might blow up amongst them.  2nd turn and after I usually have my hench force doing their own thing.  I often like henches that have their own movement tricks to help them get upboard some despite putting AP into the SS (grimwell and queeg come to mind), but since I haven't run this since the last errata I havent tried it with all our good stuff.

Not sure it is a standard tournament build or just one Matt was using against Varney to put some early pressure on.

EDIT: I find the more basically risk free attacks I can put out with this, the happier I am generally).  Also, if you are worried about people plying off of him, he can always sacrifice himself if lured in with his up close CA trigger.

• Like 2

I think taking 1 Queller, Monster Hunter, and Investigator could be viable in almost every crew.  They have lots of movement tricks, card gain, lots of wounds, and are a perfect group for Public Demonstration.  I think I'll start taking the Trinity in all my lists for my next ten games or so.

1 minute ago, jchrisobrien said:

I think taking 1 Queller, Monster Hunter, and Investigator could be viable in almost every crew.  They have lots of movement tricks, card gain, lots of wounds, and are a perfect group for Public Demonstration.  I think I'll start taking the Trinity in all my lists for my next ten games or so.

Ive found that when I want 1 Monster hunter I almost always want 2 for double stalk to work with.  Have you not had that experience?

1 hour ago, Louie said:

It's just over 12" to start scoring right? Needs to be over the line.

I've assumed the base edge on the exact edge to be considered partly on that table side just like exactly at three inches from something is within three inches of that thing according to the faq. It doesn't day you need to cross thr line, any part on that table side or something like that.

2 hours ago, Sybarite said:

Ludvig : regarding hounds and the wagon. Then you are assuming theres a straight line without intervening terrain ans no meddling enemy models. 

My club play with a decent amount of terrain most of the time but I have yet to play on a table where there wasn't a single straight line from deployment to centerline for a 50mm marker to push by. 

If they move to block it that is sort of what you was hoping for because anything likely to block that push is very likely to be within range of Sonnia turn 1. If they do block and survive two turns of Sonnia you might need to use a support model like the brutal effigy or something to give the marker and extra nudge. I'm not sure it is much different than something like a Lucius list that intends to push the marker over the center turn one with a cheap 50mm and the enemy deploys a mature or something and kills that model first activation of the game. I've only played the strat a couple of times but I barely had a plan b and definitely not a plan c for if the enemy had gotten to my dedicated pusher turn one.

As long as the total number of stones doing the pushing is kept low and you know you can get the job done that seems enough to me. I'm not sure there is some added bonus to getting it done turn one. I can see the valur of having a couple of inches to spare to adapt to model placement. Hounds in particular might suck against horrible horrible LoS-ignoring Hans but at least then he sees playtime so I'll take it for the betterment of the game. ;)

1 hour ago, 4thstringer said:

link doesn't work for me :( can someone copy the lists/posts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wizuriel said:

link doesn't work for me :( can someone copy the lists/posts?

50 SS Guild Crew
Perdita Ortega + 5 Pool
- Fastest Draw in Malifaux (1)
- Trick Shooting (2)
Enslaved Nephilim (3)
Francisco Ortega (8)
- Wade In (1)
- Lead Lined Coat (1)
Nino Ortega (7)
Santiago Ortega (7)
- Lead Lined Coat (1)
Monster Hunter (6)
Monster Hunter (6)
Brutal Effigy (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)\

Day 2 Nellie 

50 SS Guild Crew
Nellie Cochrane + 5 Pool
- Misleading Headlines (1)
- Delegation (1)
- Guild Funds (1)
The Printing Press (3)
Phiona Gage (8)
- Transparency (1)
Peacekeeper (11)
- Numb To The World (1)
Thalarian Queller (6)
Monster Hunter (6)
Monster Hunter (6)
Brutal Effigy (4)

Abraham Kanz

Day 2 Lucius. Very similar to the first list, just added pathfinder because I like traps on squat markers. 

50 SS Guild Crew
Lucius + 4 Pool
- Deep Pockets (2)
- Surprisingly Loyal (1)
The Scribe (2)
Doppleganger (7)
Witchling Thrall (9)
Witchling Thrall (9)
Guild Pathfinder (6)
Beckoner (6)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Clockwork Trap (2)

(exported from CrewFaux)

50 SS Guild Crew
Lucius + 4 Pool
- Deep Pockets (2)
- Surprisingly Loyal (1)
The Scribe (2)
Doppleganger (7)
Witchling Thrall (9)
Witchling Thrall (9)
Beckoner (6)
Sanctioned Spellcaster (5)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
Guild Guard (3)
50 SS Guild Crew
Sonnia Criid + 5 Pool
- Cherufe's Imprint (1)
- Cherufes Parting Gift (1)
- Counterspell Aura (1)
Malifaux Child (3)
Dr. Grimwell (9)
- Expert Sleuth (1)
Francisco Ortega (8)
- Wade In (1)
- Hermanos de Armas (1)
Papa Loco (7)
- Expert Sleuth (1)
Guild Investigator (6)
Watcher (4)
Brutal Effigy (4)

(exported from CrewFaux)
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 2:22 PM, Tris said:

Our best masters atm are imo Nellie, Lady J, Sonnia, Lucius, but it´s nice to see that the gap has closed - I´m quite sure Perdita, Hoffman, McCabe and even McMourning got tricks of their own, It´s just that I´m not a big fan of Perdita myself and never get the right "feel" out of a Hoffman or McCabe list, it`s, as always, personal preference :)

I've been out of the game for a hot minute - when did Lady J go from one of our most subpar masters to one of our best? Did the Jury and Swordfighter help her out that much?

What are peoples thoughts on Santiago vs Abuela?  I’d take her over Santiago in just about any matchup (if you aren’t taking Jury).  

Also, would I be crazy to drop a monster hunter for a pistolero?  I like the extra defense, but man Monster Hunters are good.