Out of Stock models

Zedicius

I've been wanting to order some Beckoners for a few months now, though the wyrd store lists them as temporarily out of stock, which is probably the reason why I can't find them with any resellers either. I've noticed the same thing for a few other models and boxes  (such as Hired Guns).

Any specific reason why these appear to be (temporarily) out of production?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zedicius said:

I've been wanting to order some Beckoners for a few months now, though the wyrd store lists them as temporarily out of stock, which is probably the reason why I can't find them with any resellers either. I've noticed the same thing for a few other models and boxes  (such as Hired Guns).

Any specific reason why these appear to be (temporarily) out of production?

With plastic models, the time from starting the presses, to receiving the stock is about 2-3 months, other factors not considered. This is for a reprint, obviously if tooling (ie, making the model/mold) is involved.

That also doesn't include queuing. Because Wyrd don't have their own dedicated plastics manufacturing facility, so they subcontract that part of the process. Most of these factories, especially the good ones, have a certain time period allotted, as multiple companies seek their service. So they might have access to the manufacturer for a week and a half every two months (I have no idea on actual numbers, just using examples)

In that week and a half, they need to figure out what sprues, and how many of each, they're going to need. Priority is going to go to new releases, as the demand for those is typically going to be higher than models that most existing players (though not all, obviously) would already have. And because there's likely a fee* to change molds on top of the "per sprue" cost, switching in molds for short print runs can make costs unviable.

* I used to work in metal casting, and while our molds were probably significantly larger than what the plastics are, it took four guys up to two hours to make the change. Because not handling the mold you're installing/removing properly could be hella expensive, and if it's not properly installed you risk damaging the machine (making "hella expensive" look like loose change).

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

On 8/10/2018 at 4:04 PM, Beeray said:

Sadly I've already paid for the product, so I'm quite bound by the store getting stock. I guess I could always ask for a refund, but doesn't help me much if no other stores have it in stock, and ordering from gadzook to EU isn't exactly cheap 😥