State of the local metas

Le gob

Hello everyone,

It's hard to tell, from the forum posts what the state of the local meta are.
I'd like to get a glance of what they actually are, what factions wins or loses.

I'd like you to respect the format, so it's clearer.

I'll start with our local meta:
Size: about 10 players.
Most wining: Sandeep, Shen Long, Pandora
Struggeling: Parker Barrows, Dreamer, Marcus, Yan Lo, Guild
Models/Items most complained about : Sandeep, Oxfordian mages, Steamfitter, Shadow emissary, Zipp
Note: No real resser player

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Le gob said:

Hello everyone,

It's hard to tell, from the forum posts what the state of the local meta are.
I'd like to get a glance of what they actually are, what factions wins or loses.

I'd like you to respect the format, so it's clearer.

I'll start with our local meta:
Size: about 10 players.
Most wining: Sandeep, Shen Long, Pandora
Struggeling: Parker Barrows, Dreamer, Marcus, Yan Lo, Guild
Models/Items most complained about : Sandeep, Oxfordian mages, Steamfitter, Shadow emissary, Zipp
Note: No real resser player

What are Guild players bringing? I faced Pandora and is pretty strong but don't think is unbeatable, just kill those sorrows before they get to you XD

36 minutes ago, longfanz said:

What are Guild players bringing? I faced Pandora and is pretty strong but don't think is unbeatable, just kill those sorrows before they get to you XD

Mostly Nelly, Lady J, Lucius and Perdita, sometimes Hoffman or Sonnia.

We have 3 guild players on this meta. 1 is new. the second is not a regular player. I am the third. On GG2018, I have around 50% defeat and 30% victory. I do not believe that this is linked to a guild weakness. This is rather due to experiments on models I do not know yet.
If I really play to win, I have troubles with symbols of authority and schemes asking a dedicated fast scheme runner.

Here is state of my local meta:

Size: about 20 players, more or less 15 are regular players
Most wining: Sandeep, Shenlong, Collodi, Pandora, Zipp, Wong, sometimes Reva
Struggling: Parker Barrows, Dreamer, Lucius, Jack Daw, Kaeris, Brewmaster and other low-tier masters
Models/Items most complained about : Sandeep, Oxfordian mages, Shadow emissary, Zipp, Changelings with trapper combo, Collodi, Ashes and Dust, Midnight Stalker, Reva, Yasunori.

Most players are highly competitive, taking best crews they can imagine.

Size: about 15-20 players

Most winning: Viks (by far, my last tournaments final was Viks mirrormatch), Hamelin, Zoraida, Sandeep

Struggeling: hard to say, most players prefer competitive crews. Some lower tier gremlin and outcast masters maybe.

Most Complained about: Viks, Shadow Emissary, Marlena Webster, Yasunori

- few Guild and Gremlin players, many Neverborn players

• Like 1

Interesting thread. However, I'm not sure if your "most winning" and "most struggling" categories tell us anything except that these masters are played by relatively better/worse players in a given community than other masters. I can tell you that in my (and Cedar's at the same time) meta three players play Shenlong, but only one of them constantly places high at tournaments. The same pertains to every top tier master played by more than one player in our meta I think. Because the number of players is high in it, the correlation between the personal skill and the result is more visible.

Also, what does it mean that some masters are struggling in a given meta? It should be more specified. I assume that it means that a master is played by someone (or even better - by several people) regularly with no success.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Also, what does it mean that some masters are struggling in a given meta?

If you get the stats from 1 meta, it won't tell you much, but if you see it's always the same masters wining/loosing, you'll start to get some intel on where some balance is needed.

Were the Sandeep's, Pandora, etc. players good before?

Our meta isn't too competitive, most games are for fun, our 10T player refrains on playing Yasunori, our Gremelin player on playing Zipp as they'd rather have fun than crushing the opponent.
I play Pandora, and I'm far away to be a good player, I'm average. Same goes for the Sandeep player, but he surely wins most his Sandeep games and not so much with his other masters.
Our only players who try hard to win, only bringing competitive crews are the arcanist and one of the outcast player.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2018 at 11:33 AM, le_wahou said:

We have 3 guild players on this meta. 1 is new. the second is not a regular player. I am the third. On GG2018, I have around 50% defeat and 30% victory. I do not believe that this is linked to a guild weakness. This is rather due to experiments on models I do not know yet.
If I really play to win, I have troubles with symbols of authority and schemes asking a dedicated fast scheme runner.

Have you given McCabe a spin yet? I feel like he is well poised for Symbols of Authority (though I've only played him in TT, but I'd imagine the very same to be true in Guild). 

Size: 7 Players.
Most winning: Everything Gremlin and Guild.
Struggeling: right now Neverborn I'd say.
Models/Items most complained about : Burt Jebsen with Magical and/or Dirty Cheater, summoned Piglets, summoned Bayou Gremlins, Dumb Luck / Thinkin Luck. Katanaka-Snipers
Note: No Resser Player. Meta is not consistent though. I'd say that I (Gremlins) play the most games so naturally I have the most practice and I tend to win more games than others. So complains about Gremlins are of Course more than other.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:07 PM, 4thstringer said:

Our local meta is 4 reliable players, 3 or 4 very unreliable players, and that's really it.  I would say guild sees the most success, but that might be because none of us take it very seriously.

Do we have the same meta?

For me here as well - meta is 3-4 reliable players, and a couple of unreliable. There's also people who live just too far away for a casual game, but do tend to come over when there's an event or other organised play.

Most winning I couldn't name masters, because for us it's really the player. One of our guys wins most games/tournaments. When he played Neverborn, that was the top faction. He won with a lot of different masters. He's running Ressers Nico now, so he wins quite some, but wouldnt be different if he picked another master. So I would say our meta has winning/strong players more than winning/strong masters.

Our biggest gripe? We would like to grow the number of players, but that's really a challenge.

• Like 1

Size: 4 Players, 3 active and 1 occasional
Most winning: Ironsides, Perdita, Dreamer
Struggling: Masters? Mei Feng and Lady J
Models/Items most complained about : Ironsides, Zoraida
Biggest problem though? Getting more players. We've got an active club, but everyone's divided between Guild Ball, Warmachine/Hordes, X-Wing and 40K.

I've introduced, demoed and discussed with several potential players, but it's all falling down to time and money. Malifaux isn't an expensive game, I would argue it's probably one of the cheapest Mini games. But people are dedicated to their currently chosen games. I still count several of them as potential new players, one can only hope.

• 2 months later...

Around 5 to 6 consistent players, about 6 more not consistent players

Most winning: Nellie, Sandeep, Nicodem

Struggeling:  Parker, Von Schill (but then again, he is always struggling)

Most Complained about: Sandeep, Nellie, Thalarian Queller, Nicodem

This was pre-errata, last tournament played after errata saw no Sandeep and no Nicodem. I won with Outcast using Viks, Hammelin and Daw. I usally play Arcanist, with Sandeep always seeing play in tournaments and leagues.

• 9 months later...

most interesting thing i've seen thus far is Nicodem being the only resser getting a lot of play while a lot of people are putting their seamus/molly/mcmourning crews on ebay and buying into TT or Arcanists instead. In my area 2nd started Resser/Neverborn heavy and ended Neverborn/Gremlin heavy but it looks like way more people are looking into arcanists, ten thunders and to a lesser extent guild and none of those have ever been the majority in my area before. But thats a new edition for you, better it mixes it up than you play against the same meta forever till it gets boring. Thats been the death of a lotta TCG's in my experience.