Changelings as scheme runners

emiba

So, what am I missing? Why are Changelings good as scheme runners? Sure, they can pseudo leap, but they have to end in base contact with another model. So do you always run them with a baby sitter?

They're a wk5 significant model with a (0) to get some rather nice movement. Tbh, the fact that theyre 4ss and summonable, even without their (0) they're at least decent scheme runners. Remember, you can also place into base with an enemy and even blink through walls and other models.

I've once used this to blink towards a friendly model so I was in range to place a sheme marker next to my setup target for the full points. Also I've used them to blink towards other scheme runners and hold them up. 

You also get them very easily if you have the emissary (especially with titania).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emiba said:

So, what am I missing? Why are Changelings good as scheme runners? Sure, they can pseudo leap, but they have to end in base contact with another model. So do you always run them with a baby sitter?

You don't hire them primarily as scheme runners. You hire them as shooting multipliers or abusers of various unique actions: they do they job on turn one or two, and after that they mainly do schemes or kill your opponent's low-df beaters with their own attacks.

1 minute ago, thatlatinspeakingguy said:

You don't hire them primarily as scheme runners. You hire them as shooting multipliers or abusers of various unique actions: they do they job on turn one or two, and after that they mainly do schemes or kill your opponent's low-df beaters with their own attacks.

Very true,

you bring them for other jobs, but they're extremely flexible. 

Thanks! So when I hear people say "I prefer Changelings over terror tots", I should be hearing "I prefer flexibility over mad running skills" rather than "Changelings are great scheme runners"?

13 hours ago, emiba said:

Thanks! So when I hear people say "I prefer Changelings over terror tots", I should be hearing "I prefer flexibility over mad running skills" rather than "Changelings are great scheme runners"?

Sounds about right. Gupps are probably superior scheme runners to Tots anyway. As far as I can tell Changelings aren't normally hired as a dedicated scheme runner, but they are a cheap model that can run schemes if they need to. 

18 hours ago, Adran said:

Sounds about right. Gupps are probably superior scheme runners to Tots anyway. As far as I can tell Changelings aren't normally hired as a dedicated scheme runner, but they are a cheap model that can run schemes if they need to. 

I'll pretty much require them to be scheme runners in my Titania crew (summoned by the Emissary).

Mostly because I think I have too many beaters, not enough to actually score VP's

3 hours ago, Cadaver_Junkie said:

I'll pretty much require them to be scheme runners in my Titania crew (summoned by the Emissary).

Mostly because I think I have too many beaters, not enough to actually score VP's

Hired vs summoned is the important part. Although I suppose both tots and gupps could be summon ed, but the changling summoning is easiest and least crew distorting. 

48 minutes ago, Adran said:

Hired vs summoned is the important part. Although I suppose both tots and gupps could be summon ed, but the changling summoning is easiest and least crew distorting. 

Really? A spawn mother + wisp can be fitted into most crews.

Useless duplications make them interesting.

As does mr graves and Lucius 0 for taking activations while engaged.

Apart from showing people the door on positives from Lucius and the occassional scheme drop I also like to have them tag along with path finders vs swarms or Rougarou.