Is scoring revealed schemes mandatory?

DonCheadle

Question

Say I have Guarded Treasure and Search the Ruins, with GT at 2 points at the end of turn 5, and the models/Scheme Markers in place to score both schemes independently. 

Would I be forced to score the final point of Guarded Treasure, thereby losing 2 points (since I'd get 3 from Search but only 1 from Guarded Treasure)? 

4 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

That's an interesting question, because the check for VP is before the check for a new turn.

I don't see any hard ruling as of yet, and the requirement that you have to or don't have to score doesn't appear to be in the Rules Manual or the GG18 documentation, that I can find.

The absence of choice is all that needs to exist to make something mandatory.

Note that the order in which schemes are scored is a choice, if they score at the same time.  So if the same scheme marker could be used for two different end of turn schemes, you'd have a choice which one uses it by choosing which one to score first.

3 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

As long as you don't try to backtrack though (if the game flip takes it to Round 6, you don't go "Whoops, I want to score Guarded Treasure") and make it a conscious declaration, I'd find any opposition to choosing not to gain VP to be a pretty meh act by your opponent and/or TOrg. Given that it's pretty clear you can forget to score, and it's not compulsory to go back and do so.

If a scheme scores at the end of the turn, it's going to score at the end of the turn, before a scheme that scores at the end of the game.

Given that there are effects that can be triggered by scoring, attempting to "forget" to score is a player error.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DonCheadle said:

Say I have Guarded Treasure and Search the Ruins, with GT at 2 points at the end of turn 5, and the models/Scheme Markers in place to score both schemes independently. 

Would I be forced to score the final point of Guarded Treasure, thereby losing 2 points (since I'd get 3 from Search but only 1 from Guarded Treasure)? 

That's an interesting question, because the check for VP is before the check for a new turn.

I don't see any hard ruling as of yet, and the requirement that you have to or don't have to score doesn't appear to be in the Rules Manual or the GG18 documentation, that I can find.

As long as you don't try to backtrack though (if the game flip takes it to Round 6, you don't go "Whoops, I want to score Guarded Treasure") and make it a conscious declaration, I'd find any opposition to choosing not to gain VP to be a pretty meh act by your opponent and/or TOrg. Given that it's pretty clear you can forget to score, and it's not compulsory to go back and do so.

Follow up question: How would it work with Claim Jump, if 3 points had already been scored before turn 5?

By the way, all considerations here are made without accounting for additional turns, should have made that clear in the primer. 

"At the end of every Turn after the first, if this Crew has at least two Scheme Markers within 2” of the Centerline of the board, not within 2" of an enemy model, and not within 4" of another friendly Scheme Marker, this Crew scores 1 VP and removes all friendly Scheme Markers within 2" of the Centerline."

If the prior action (score 1 VP) isn't carried out because one has already scored all points available (and the rules state one cannot score more than 3 points off of a scheme), will the latter (remove scheme markers) still be taken? 

If someone tries to force you to remove the markers when you have scored full it's time to call your TO over I think.

I have personally never even considered removing markers after the scheme is done. I'd say you skip the whole scheme's resolution when it' been maxed out. If you don't select that scheme to score (because you can't) then I don't see why you would be rrsolving the other effect.

As for not scoring on a scheme you can still score on I'm not sure. Might be very poasible that you need to score so set up your other schemes in a spot where they don't get blocked or pick other schemes perhaps?