Monthly painting challenge - May

Franchute

57 minutes ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Purple Mist flesh tones plus choice of palette is excellent - great job you have done on her 👍

Thanks.

Indeed I got a trouble with still water. I used to much green washes with the result of masking my painting job of the base. Same thing with hounds bases I'll post in a second  time.

Hello all.  I thought I had posted this 2 days ago, but must not have hit the Submit button.  Here is my May pledge coming in late.  Going to do Ferdinand Vogel and the Beast Within, both on Wyrd's Victorian Ruins bases.  Throwing in a Tengu to get to 12 SS, unless there was a rule about 0 SS models (I will looks this up in the guidelines).  Cheers.

2018May_Ferdinand_Vogel_pledge.jpg.d8e212dca49591a512de1561213e35b3.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/15/2018 at 11:35 PM, misterfinn said:

Has anyone used the Scale 75 metallics? I hear good things but I wasn't impressed by the YouTube demo I found of the gold set.

@misterfinnI have!

I'm not great at NMM, and considering the amount of metal in Malifaux miniatures, I spent a fair bit of time experimenting.

My opinion is that Scale75 metallics are excellent. They have a very fine metallic component. I suspect aluminium is in there.

Downsides:

• You have to really, really shake them before use, as they will separate readily.
  • You'll have limited use (probably) on some of their coloured metallics.

Upsides:

• In my opinion, they have excellent coverage.
  • Very strong pigments.
  • Smooth finish.

I'm a particular fan of the Scale75 Victorian Brass.

Here are some reviews / tutorials:  Pirate Monkey, Massive Voodoo, and a massive metallics comparison.

I don't mind Vallejo's Model Air range, and I also like the (more painful to use) Vallejo Liquid Metals.

Nice skin tones on the TTB figure, by the way!

Caedrus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, prof_bycid said:

Hello all.  I thought I had posted this 2 days ago, but must not have hit the Submit button.  Here is my May pledge coming in late.  Going to do Ferdinand Vogel and the Beast Within, both on Wyrd's Victorian Ruins bases.  Throwing in a Tengu to get to 12 SS, unless there was a rule about 0 SS models (I will looks this up in the guidelines).  Cheers.

0ss models are worth 5ss for the monthly painting challenge.
Enjoy !

• Thanks 1

Hello, final shooting documenting my achivements with current monthly pledge:

Nekima2.jpg

Hound1.jpg

Hound2.jpg

Hound3.jpg

Group.jpg

Painting the hound was very relaxing and quite easy. The only trouble was with model fitting over bases. Nekima was challenging as I expected. BTW, because of the model posture the face is looking down so that details are hidden...... may be I took advantage of that because of my modest ability with brush.

Overall value for this pledge was 25 ss, if I'm not wrong.

Wishing you all an happy conclusion of May Challenge!

• Like 5

@Rikk - That supply wagon is boss!  I love all the little details (meat on the meat hook, whiskey barrels, all of it!) Well done. 

@Phinn - Beautiful effigy, and I agree with Misterfinn, your stitched are amazing. I love the colors! 

@bedjy - I really like your wrath. All the detail work is really beautiful, and the colors really pop.

@Burnin' Coal - Thanks for the kind words, and, man those bases are amazing. The mossy feel to them is really nice. I definitely don’t have the patience for that kind of work. Great artistic eye as well, to see that in your head and make it come out so well. Really impressed with all your work.

@Chou - looks great man! I really like the blue. He’ll be on my table next month, so I have something to aspire to.

@Franchute - your mage, and that base, are really nicely done. I love the zombie too... but isn't that a Necropunk... not a Punk Zombie? I don't play ressers, but I've been chopped up by them before. All the small detail work is really impressive. I like your photo style, personally, but this is coming from a man who still uses his phone for photos an can’t stick to one background (I can’t figure out if I like white or black more), so my word may not be the best…. still, I like it! 

@PetitDalek - The wendigo looks great. I love the base and the blueish green hue you’ve managed on him. 

@Purple Mist - I really like her skin, and (it may be the lighting) but her tongue looks black-ish, which is cool. I really like the overall feel of the mini.

@wobbly_goggy - Great models! I love that bushwhacker, as a whole piece with the base, he’s amazing! What is that green foliage? That makes that piece IMO. 

@Aa7 - I like the purple/blue color combo on Raspy. Carlos’s flames look really good too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

@Aa7 Very nice touch with the purple in the flames - gives a feel of magic to the model

@wobbly_goggy Smooth brushwork- really like the colours you used on Brewmaster

@misterfinn Thanks for the kind words but credit where it's due for the moss on the bases which isn't anything to do with technique or brushwork - it's part of the very extensive range of foliage produced by Mini-Natur - the moss comes on a self adhesive strip like grass clumps - it had been sitting unused in a box for ages before the lightbulb went off in my head and I finally got a chance to use it

@Purple Mist Great looking group of figures you have produced- I like how they all tie in with each other

@Chou Your work on Yasanouri really made me stop and have a good look - great job !...and it made me want to make the model even though it has nothing to do with my own collection.....yet 😉

@Franchute I wish I could borrow a phone that good 😂

@Viruk Am already looking forward to seeing what you come up with

After much gnashing of teeth I have finally attached the ghosts to the Goryo bodies...and the bases are almost finished...just need to attach the Goryo to the bases - at which point I'll let out the hugest sigh of relief ever...very VERY fiddly and mega delicate models...almost there now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Have decided to photo my box of shame for gremlins (24 models in photo...and I’ve realised Ulix isn’t there)

79635_D74_DE48_4943_AF04_83_D1_C872_B3_B

Ive a fair bit more unmade yet, so I’m going to say now, I can only buy more minis when I’ve completed 12 models from this box/tray, and anything I do buy goes straight into this pile.

hopefully I would like to get all these complete by end of July....we’ll see

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Franchute said:

After contemplating the box of shame for a while, I decided to put some paint on Carlos:

20180522_000710_zps0f62ubcs.jpg

@Burnin' Coal I followed your advice and tortured hit foot with a spike. How did you dot to fill the hole once he was done?

18 minutes ago, Franchute said:

@Burnin' Coal I followed your advice and tortured hit foot with a spike. How did you dot to fill the hole once he was done?

He's looking good Franchute....just some filler or greenstuff to fill the hole afterwards 

• Like 1