Monthly painting challenge - May

Franchute

Hi everybody!

Here're a couple of pics to document my advancements with May monthly pledge.

IMG_20180510_155819.jpg

I'm sorry for bad quality of the picture. The Corrupted Hounds are almost done. I just have to take care of details. Painting Nekima proved to be most difficult than I expected and may be I'll have to postpone her presentation to next month.

IMG_20180510_155826.jpg

I got a modded Nekima base pasting original plastic rock over a resin 50 mm swamp base. I completed the painting of all swamp bases for this monthly batch. Till to try filling them with still water.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Purple Mist said:

Painting Nekima proved to be most difficult than I expected and may be I'll have to postpone her presentation to next month.

It looks like you've made a great start on Nekima so far, and there's approximately 2/3 of the month remaining. And as you said, the Corrupted Hounds are nearly complete. Maybe you're not giving yourself enough credit? 😊 Nekima might still be thundering from the skies by the end of May yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

@Franchute lovely rich colours on your mage and great work on the face

@bedjy very nice blending indeed - great brushwork

WIP.....Spent a happy few hours with some foam board and plasticard to get started on the bases for my Goryo

IMG_1044.jpg.05968c10d2b909af6110863295d976ce.jpg

@Burnin' Coal ... hold up. You made those yourself, from scratch? 😳

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scatterbrain said:

@Burnin' Coal ... hold up. You made those yourself, from scratch? 😳

@Scatterbrain Yes indeed....like all things the thinking about it probably took as long or longer than actually making them 😂.....they were just layers of foam board glued together into blocks and then carved and cut into shape with a craft knife...details superglued into place made from plasticard....basic texture from Vallejo's Stone paste mixture....and then the fun bit - painting...spent maybe ten hours on them start to finish....but because I have the attention span of a magpie that included a lot of coffee breaks and ferreting around looking at other stuff I am also working on like the Goryo themselves 

P.S....I make all my own bases as for me that is half the fun of making these models with the base putting them into some kind of context 

• Like 3

There's been good movement on my giant pile of plastic! I haven't taken the time to take pictures of them all, but I'm feeling pretty good.

Quick update with an "almost done" of my Slate Ridge Mauler (he can "bearly" juggle, but gives great hugs!) and with a reminder WIP of Krampus, since I realized I may need to use him this weekend at MuseOn Con, so I'm going to finish him really quick.

20180514_171601.jpg.56a17051fccc9b574f261c5e98890946.jpg

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Chou said:

I'll make some changes in the models for this month since the ten thunders models are no longer needed for the ITC.

Are you suggesting you only need Yasunori to play Ten Thunders? XD

Anyway here is my nemesis ward mage for 6 soulstones, putting me at 21 for the month. As always, I'm sorry for the crappy pictures:

IMG_5976_zpsxlsfcd7t.jpg

IMG_5977_zpsvc0ixzzq.jpg

• Like 9

@Franchute Great work so far. I think the contrast on your blues is effective and it looks like your facial detail is sharp.

@Burnin' Coal Impressive scratch builds, even more impressive paint. That moss-on-stone effect is super realistic. I can tell that part of it is the subtle texture from the Stone Paste...I'm guessing judicious application of green, brown, and yellow glazes to accomplish the rest?

@Chou I dig the colors on your Yasunori. If you don't mind me saying, I think the mount would benefit from some more contrast in the neck and chest scales - either one more layer of highlight or a careful wash to accentuate the lines between scales. The robe, mane, and tail all have pretty good contrast so the scales look a bit washed out in comparison.

As for my mid-month update, I've finished the Steam Trunk (3ss). I hardly ever use it and building it was a pain so it's a cursory paint job - just enough to call it done and move on to something interesting.

IMG_2540.jpg

So what's interesting? The TTB model I pledged for this month. Here's some WIP - skin is finished, moving on to clothing today:

IMG_2538.jpgIMG_2539.jpg

I'm a long-time fan of the Reaper Master Series paints so I decided to try out their HD paints for the skin. I hate 'em. Totally don't fit my blending style at all. They remind me a lot of Vallejo Model Color (highly pigmented for smooth layering) but their dry time is longer. If I'm going to layer, I want a fast drying time. If I'm going to wet-blend or feather I want less pigment density. I foolishly bought a set before trying them out so I'm stuck with 18 colors I won't use. PM me if you're in the US and they sound like you might have better luck with 'em.

Has anyone used the Scale 75 metallics? I hear good things but I wasn't impressed by the YouTube demo I found of the gold set.

• Like 6

On 5/15/2018 at 5:12 AM, Franchute said:

Are you suggesting you only need Yasunori to play Ten Thunders? XD

hahahah the thing is that my girlfriend is the one playing TT in the upcoming ITC tournament and with the Yasunori I finished the models she needed (she paints most of her models but with this one I lent a hand).

18 hours ago, misterfinn said:

@Chou I dig the colors on your Yasunori. If you don't mind me saying, I think the mount would benefit from some more contrast in the neck and chest scales - either one more layer of highlight or a careful wash to accentuate the lines between scales. The robe, mane, and tail all have pretty good contrast so the scales look a bit washed out in comparison.

Thanks! And yes, I totally agree with you. My original thoughts were using a different colour for the chest scales, maybe green, but when I showed her the model she liked it that way so I didn't change it. Shouldn't have asked! 😄

On 5/15/2018 at 9:05 AM, Franchute said:

@misterfinnthis skin is amazing. How did you get this redish tone?

Thanks! It's a straightforward layered buildup from a dark red-brown basecoat up through rust red and a light brown-orange to a final mix of light brown-orange and mustard yellow. Maybe five or six layers in total. I haven't used GW paints in many years so I don't know what their closest equivalents are. I can check the rack at my FLGS next time I'm there if that'd be helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1