Monthly painting challenge - May

Franchute

Hello,

I'm leaving for a trip so here is already the thread for May of the monthly painting challenge. Please post your pictures, plans and discussions for the month here.

I'm also copy-pasting a reminder of the rules and the principles of the challenge:

The idea of the challenge is a motivational one. It is simply a friendly painting community---not a competition---that we use to find motivation to finish painting our Malifaux miniatures. You pledge an amount of soulstones that you will be painting each month of the year 2018. If you want to enroll for the challenge, it's too late because you would use too many mulligans.

I'll use the following spreadsheet to keep track of each one's situation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zYYugrSGk_4GTo8OjHjyfI_ruYWYOSnhy7U2ivbgfZ8/edit?usp=sharing

Some specific rules:

• At the START of the month: post a photo of your unpainted minis and any plans for them you have.  In the MIDDLE of the month: post work in progress photos if you want, or just banter about ideas.  At the END of the month: post your finished models and the Soul Stone Cost painted, and I will get this on the tracking sheet.  Post this by the end of the month.  And include the total soul stones painted. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. 
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge.
  • You can choose to go down in the pledge hierarchy during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • You may choose to sign up during a later month for the challenge but this means that you'll have to use one or two of the aforementioned mulligans: e.g. if you start in February, one mulligan will already been used; if you start in March, two mulligans will already been used; you cant start in April.
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones
  • Terrain count too. Terrain must be painted and is treated like zero cost models (i.e. count for 5 soulstones). The piece of terrain must be significantly largert than a 50mm marker.

This month, it's Ten Thunders!

My pledge:

A terracotta warrior, valued at a mighty 6SS (I hope an unopened box will do instead of an unpainted mini!).

KWeyBln.jpg

Stretch Goals (WIP photos will be uploaded!)

Stretch Goal 1: The other two terracotta warriors.

Stretch Goal 2: Two Ice Dancers.

Stretch Goal 3: Two December Acolytes.

Stretch Goal 4: Mortimer.

Stretch Goal 5: Lazarus.

Stretch Goal 6: Four Mindless Zombies.

Stretch Goal 7: Lust.

Stretch Goal 8: Angelica.

That's some serious optimism, there!

Have a great May, painters!

Caedrus.

• Like 2

My pledge this month will be the Widow Weaver and an Illuminated, but during April I also started putting some paint on alt. (vintage) Hamelin, Lynch, alt. Francisco, Mr. Tannen and another Illuminated, so I will try to get as many of them done as possible! 

Since I missed both February and March I will try to catch up in SS count! 

31364213_10156468765195409_717008033054331384154_10156468765275409_757234002327731369742_10156468765345409_831910606293631510350_10156468767390409_8020977200872

• Like 5

My plan was to resume from first brush strokes on Nekima as I left her in April:

Part.jpg

But, bad things happen........

My1.jpg

Nekima was unglued from the rock in the attempt to remove the mini from his handling plastic support. I was lucky the model and the painted parts were not damaged. Now, I plan to work Nekima base, to prime it and then glue the figure to the base before resuming painting job. I figured out a swamp base with Still Water on the moddel resin base. 

I primed the Corrupted Hounds and collected same small swamp bases for them. One of the base has been modded with a Scibor fallen head. I used a Scibor head-ruin base for my Lillith base, so the stone head will be the element linking the model of this crew.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Purple Mist said:

Nice!

A picture of your Rasputina will be apreciated.

BTW, I finished assembling and primed Alt. Vintage (plastic) Rasputina. Guess her will be matter for  a future pledge.

I'm abroad now, but I can show you its current state tomorrow when I'll come back. It does not have much left to paint though: I still need to highlight the leather parts and the trousers, add a glaze here and there and finish the base.

My plan for May - two models that had their cost reduced and thus have become more popular choices in the Neverborn. I have their plastic versions painted but plan to stick to the metal version of Hooded Rider (much better imho). I'm hesitating about Juju, I guess I'll decide once he's painted.

2018may_painterschallenge.jpg

• Like 5

A quick update:

5kBhvrb.jpg

This, along with a new-on-sprue Lust, is my current pile-o-shame:

• Von Schill (90%)
  • December Acolytes (20%)
  • Mortimer (80%)
  • Lust (0%)
  • Taelor [Metal] (10%)
  • Lazarus (5%)
  • Freikorp Trapper (10%)
  • Terracotta Warriors (10%)
  • 3 Mindless Zombies [incl. 1 Waif as a proxy] (15%).

Whew! Lots to do there, including some scenic bases. Why do I do this to myself...?

Enjoy your painting!

Caedrus.

• Like 4

Big month planned! First up is getting a few Ressers and friends ready for a friend, who's getting Yan Lo as his 2nd master soon.

Datsue Ba, 3 Seishin, 2 Doxies, Toshiro, 2 Komainu, and 2 Goryo are commissions for him, and I'm throwing in 3 Drowned and 2 Canine Remains I've had sitting around unused (3rd undead pooch is for me). Also for me is the Slate Ridge Mauler (have a 2nd one in the box I may add later), 2 Steamfitters, 2 Desperate Mercs, a Witchling Thrall, Sun Quiang, and, adding to my FFVII Viks crew, Alt Lazarus as Robo-Barret, and Big Jake as Nanaki/Red XIII.

Wish me luck!

20180501_080723.jpg.2cbe102699073297e4bc1becd2ebd4e1.jpg20180420_233528.jpg.4cfd30f462244d384019ee05534e4d6e.jpg20180430_192103.jpg.90292c305cfebd2005dcb2f4fc2db4c1.jpg20180430_192110.jpg.998a13599f0fdf840c338cb42339e9b4.jpg

• Like 6

The coming of Spring in my area has led to yard work, children's soccer coaching and general enjoyment of the great outdoors which of course takes away from painting time. Nevertheless, I'm committing to complete Ashes and Dust and Pandora (for real this time). Once those 2 are done I'll start working on all 3 Autumn Knights but I doubt I'll finish them this month.

• Like 1

An early start to my painting challenge - Terracotta Warriors (aka "Wyrd's easiest paintjob"). A bit of highlighting and basing, and these guys are going to be done.

z3h68Hw.jpg

@Monkeyfist- The pastels on your Weaver make her just that extra bit creepy. Kudos on the beautiful fabric and parasol.

@Boomstick- That's a big month you have planned! Impressive!

@Franchute- I love the purple / blues on Raspy. Very nice colour scheme, and very nice brushwork!

@misterfinn- I hope the Trunk is built! If not, good luck! So many parts...

Have a good month, all!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Caedrus said:

8 hours ago, Caedrus said:

@Monkeyfist- The pastels on your Weaver make her just that extra bit creepy. Kudos on the beautiful fabric and parasol.

Thank you! The most Weavers I've seen on forums usually uses pinks and reds and I wanted to do something completely different :)

7 hours ago, Franchute said:

@Monkeyfist I love the brushwork on the widow weaver. The highlights on the dress are amazing.

Thank you! The dress took me about 4-5 hours and the rest maybe 1-2, so I'm glad you liked it! Such an amazing model to paint, amazing details :) Love your Rasputina, looking forward to see her completed! 

Hi there!

My pledge for May will be 50 SS divided the following way:

* Desperate mercenary (3 SS), a leftover from April that I couldn't finish in time.

* Two yokai (5 x 2 = 10 SS).

* Low river monk (4 SS).

* Two obsidian oni (6 x 2 = 12 SS).

* Two tengu (4 x 2 = 8 SS).

* Yasunori (13 SS).

It's quite an ambitious plan but all the Ten Thunders models are needed for the ITC so they should be ready by the 23rd of May tops. If I manage to do it then I'll try to squeeze in May the third jorogumo I wasn't able to finish in April.