"Stake a Claim" Strategy

neonblunt

Question

Hi guys,

this is probably an easy one to answer. But as a newbie the wording is somehow confusing. The rulebook says...

Stake a Claim (Jokers)
Special Rules: A model may take a (2) Interact Action to discard all Claim Markers within 6” of itself, and then place a Claim Marker in base contact with itself.
Victory Points: At the end of each Turn after the first, a Crew earns 1 VP if there are more Claim Markers on the Enemy Half of the table than its own.

Discarding and placing markers seems to be a linked action here. So I'm forced to place a new marker when I want to discard other markers? And the other way round, I'm forced to discard markers when I want to place a marker? (only applies if there are any around of course)

Also, when taking the Interact Action is it expected to actually discard ALL Claim Markers, even my own? Or is it possible to choose individually which one to discard and which one to keep?

Thanks for your help!

2 answers to this question

Claim markers don't belong to anyone. You score if there are more in the enemy half than in your half, it doesn't matter who placed them there.

You take the (2) interact action, remove all claim markers within 6" and then drop a claim marker.

You can't just remove a few or not drop 1. 

So you might find sometimes you drop a marker in your half because doing so removes 2 markers that were there. But its still a marker in your half that your opponent can count when working out if they score. 

• Thanks 1