Looking at Lord Chompy Bits Dreamer Crew

Arlos896

Greetings everyone! I am a new player and I am mostly going by looks of models for interests and The Dreamer with Lord Chompy Bits definitely speak to me. I know he's a vastly complicated master but any advice for a Chompy focused crew or just starting out with Dreamer in general. Thank you for any advice and guidance!

First of all, I would not get discouraged because a master is supposedly more complicated than another (unless you want to throw yourself in tournament right away :P)

If you want to play Dreamer and focus on seeing Chompy appear more often, I'd say the best way to go is to pick up the new-ish master upgrade and use 'Growing up' and 'Sleep cycle' upgrade. With these, Dreamer is more durable, has melee expert, and can chain in Chompy when he comes out.

I would suggest you my own list:

50 SS Neverborn Crew
Dreamer + 3 Pool
- Growing Up (1)
- Sleep Cycles (2)
- Pact (1)
Mysterious Emissary (10)
- Conflux of Nightmare (0)
Serena Bowman (7)
- A Thousand Faces (1)
Doppleganger (7)
- Useless Duplications (1)
The Illuminated (7)
- Warped Reality (1)
Beckoner (6)
- Warped Reality (1)
Bloodwretch (5)

The main thing is placing Beckoner and Illuminated by From the Shadows. Then, with first activation (which is granted by Dopel) we do double Lure on Dreamer, moving him up to 14". While doing it, we push poor girl within 2" of both Dreamer and Illuminated and LoS of Dopel. So - shooting attacks against her will have high chance to go to Illuminated. Who is hard enough to tank one or two hits - with possibly healing from Dreamer's aura.

So, on a second activation we have nearly guaranteedcharge of Dreamer, with his Cg7 and 2" engagement.

On the other side, we have Serena Bowman and two guys to knock the cards out of her. Furthermore, if some of our teenager bat strikes miss - we can still get some Waking from killing Serena and summoning a Daydream, for example.

I haven't used him since wave 3 but found restless dreams + tantrum really  effective back then. It could be even stronger now with chain activations. 

The combo not only ups Chompy's damage output but dreamer can add more than you think with 4 ap and surrounded by nightmares. The 6 inch place and pushes from daydreams also mean you're getting a lot of free mobility which helps save their ap for attacking. 

The best use I've found for the combo is flitting back and forth between objectives, denying points by killing stuff or bogging it down with summons.

The biggest difficulty is the squishiness of both of them and how easy it is to over-extend. It's a crew that lives or dies on positioning. Keep the dreamer safe and pick targets wisely for chompy and it'll go a long way. Give your opponent an opening and you could be on the back foot the rest of the game.

The key to making the whole thing work (imo) is setting up to ensure you get to activate both Dreamer and chompy each turn from turn 2 onwards. This means you're looking to pick up an average of 2 waking each turn, which still leaves you ap for support and positioning. 

On turn 1 pick a likely target for Chompy, and get some waking on dreamer. If you can make it look like you're angling for a different model all the better.

Turn 2 shoot your target and/or summon stuff to draw out chompy. Alps are good here to engage the target while he hangs back for a charge. Think daydreams can do that now with some upgrade as well.

Now rip as big a chunk off the target as you can with chompy's activation. Absolutely do not sacrifice Chompy at this point. If he's killed the target use any daydreams you summoned to push him back toward the centre and/or Alps to heal him if you're bothered.

Turn 3. The Dreamer I still hiding off the table thanks Chompy, who hopefully survived the turn due to positioning. Pick a new target for Chompy. A heavy hitters that's threatening your crew becomes fair game here if it's been softened up or overextended.

Push Chompy with a daydreams if necessary and charge the target. If you're worried you won't kill them this activation, keep a bit of distance using claws, base blocking with models/terrain if possible. 

Chompy's last action turn two should be to sacrifice himself, placing The Dreamer somewhere out of harm's way.

The Dreamer's activation on turn 3 should be pretty much like turn 1. You can get max healing from his aura now before he goes and there's no point trying for waking+4 since you already used Chompy.

Turn 4 then looks just like turn 2, ideally, and turn 5 the dreamer runs off to do/deny some schemes.

The hard part is actually getting the crew to run this way while your opponent resists. Cluttered boards tend to help since incorporeal and places ignore them, so it tends to be quite a strong if you see a lot of terrain in the table. Even better if the level of terrain is what you'd typically consider too much!

Hope this helps and good luck with the crew. 😀

I'm still waiting for my dreamer to arrive, so it's all theory for now on my part.

But on paper restless dreams, sleep cycles and tantrum seems to be a good combination for luring out chompy when you want to. Ranged expert from tantrum with toss and turn form restless dreams let's you theoretically summon chompy turn 1. Chompy also get's melee expert from restless dreams, and chain activate from sleep cycles.

For the crew I'm not so sure of what to bring. I'm tinking of trying Lilitu for her lure and benefits from being a nightmare.

If u want chompy on a 1st turn take student in list. Give fast to dreamer summon 3 daydreams and 1 alp and get ur chompy on the 1st turn:) 

Growing up i think is better for a reason u can get dreamer out from enemies when chompy dies. Just summon daydream ~7”and than change it with dreamer or Teddy if it possible. 

Dreamer with 5 ap look better than ME chompy. 

The challenge I always have with Melee Dreamer is correctly managing his waking while trying to get the most out of his AP. The upgrade gives you the ability to lower or raise waking - which gives you a lot of flexibility (but you have to hit to make it work). I've wiffed on my final AP a few times, which = No Chompy, which can be frustrating. Learning how to manage your waking & AP with Dreamer is one of the biggest challenges of playing him. That being said - his flexibility (Support/Shooty-Dreamer, Summoning, and now having a decent melee (which also gives a melee attack to Daydreams (which is more valuable than I first gave it credit for))) means he fits into a lot more scheme pools.

Usually for the 3rd upgrade with Growing up/sleep cycle, I like aether connection. It saved the Dreamer more than once...

I found charging with Dreamer can be somewhat risky when you want to control your waking  and get Chompy because 2AP+melee expert will have to go in attacks. Walk + melee expert seemed safer to me since after it's resolved, depending of your waking, you can decide if you bat more, use your AP to empty night and make sure you make it to Chompy by summoning a crap (daydream/alp) 

1 hour ago, lusciousmccabe said:

It's a similar kind of deal with the shooty version. You want to use your free ap to gain waking, but you should use it first and hang on to cards for summoning if you can't guarantee a hit.

What kind of melee attack does the new upgrade get him?

It’s MI6 Rg2 against Df with 2/3/5 damage. After damaging you can choose to decrease or increase your waiking.  Also it has trigger which lets you to swap positions with nightmare within 6”.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input so far guys. I think the cards have to align just right to get LCB out first turn. Though after that if LCB is on the table at the start of the turn can he activate do his thing, chain to dreamer who can, in magical Christmas land, get back to waking 4 to bring LCB back once again who then can activate again in the turn as it is a new model technically? 

32 minutes ago, Arlos896 said:

Thanks for the input so far guys. I think the cards have to align just right to get LCB out first turn. Though after that if LCB is on the table at the start of the turn can he activate do his thing, chain to dreamer who can, in magical Christmas land, get back to waking 4 to bring LCB back once again who then can activate again in the turn as it is a new model technically? 

Yup, starting from turn 2, you can make such a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess rather than going out and buying all the models(very tempting), looking for a master who's style helps cover the gaps of the dreamer? I understand he is incredibly flexible so just trying to see what he is weak against and who best helps cover that issue. If there is an overlap in models that would be fantastic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lilith is a good all-around master and doesn't have too many model-dependent synergies. She works well with models with Black Blood (the twins (Lelu & Lelitu) who are also Nightmares). She can be a beater-master with a Lure & Pounce (that she gets from an upgrade), or a control master on who can summon terrain (a different upgrade).

Titania or Lilith will give you a more in your face option with a different play style than Dreamer. I prefer Titanias box over Liliths though in terms of useful models. The Knights are all fantastic with Dreamer and Aesiln is extremely underrated. She gets a lot of work done for me in different crews. Barbaros is great but I dont use Terror Tots, like ever. I expect that to change once I get Lynch, then they might see the table with their sprint and possibly holding an Ace of :mask.

Zoraida is more control but different enough that I went with her second ( I started with Dreamer too ). Not a bad second option, but I do see her as too similar if I were to be forced to pick only two. If I had a 3rd pick it'd definitely be Mama Z. The models in her box are Ok, 3 Silurids is definitely overkill, the doll is necessary, and Bad Juju is 7ss, which is nice, but he is rather slow and cumbersome. Dont get me wrong, he can hit, but its tough to get him in position. 

40 minutes ago, Fixxer said:

Titania or Lilith will give you a more in your face option with a different play style than Dreamer. I prefer Titanias box over Liliths though in terms of useful models. The Knights are all fantastic with Dreamer and Aesiln is extremely underrated. She gets a lot of work done for me in different crews. Barbaros is great but I dont use Terror Tots, like ever. I expect that to change once I get Lynch, then they might see the table with their sprint and possibly holding an Ace of :mask.

Zoraida is more control but different enough that I went with her second ( I started with Dreamer too ). Not a bad second option, but I do see her as too similar if I were to be forced to pick only two. If I had a 3rd pick it'd definitely be Mama Z. The models in her box are Ok, 3 Silurids is definitely overkill, the doll is necessary, and Bad Juju is 7ss, which is nice, but he is rather slow and cumbersome. Dont get me wrong, he can hit, but its tough to get him in position. 

I would love to get Titania but she is out of stock everywhere! Who do I have to beg to make her come back!?!?! 

• Agree 1

Declared Faction: Neverborn 
Crew Name: Chompy Dreamer 2 50ss 
Leader: The Dreamer - Cache:(3)
   Growing Up 1ss 
   Sleep Cycles 2ss 
   Pact 1ss 
Daydream 2ss 
Doppleganger 7ss 
Hooded Rider 10ss 
   Warped Reality 1ss 
Serena Bowman 7ss 
   A Thousand Faces 1ss 
Lelu 6ss 
   Satisfying Punishment 0ss 
Lilitu 7ss 
   Warped Reality 1ss 

This is my thought on a Chompy Dreamer melee oriented crew. The general idea is to lure dreamer up with Lilitu and if no good targets of opportunity present themselves then the doppelganger can attempt to lure in. Daydream to help push Lelu or Hooded Rider early depending on what needs to be done. The rider and twins being in the list allow dreamer to accomplish some supporting if the situation isn't good for Chompy to tear people to pieces. Obviously I am commiting the sin of building a list without factoring in strats and schemes but still early on in my malifaux career so forgive me haha. 

Id just drop Warped Reality on Lilitu for 10k faces. She is already a nightmare and really doesnt need to deploy from the shadows with her 18" lure. Swap for that upgrade and this list looks fine. :)

Pact on Dreamer should really be Tantrum also for 5ap. Unless you are rocking a summoning engine and cant afford to lose out on waking, pact isnt the best option for this build.