Ironsides Shifting Loyalties

cbtb11235813

We are starting a Shifting Loyalties campaign at the shop next week, and I figured this would be a good chance to spend some time with my newest Arcanist master, Ironsides. I've got half a game in with her, how does this look for a starting arsenal? 

Declared Faction: Arcanists 
Crew Name: Ironsides SL 35ss 
Leader: Ironsides - Cache:(5)
   Iron Determination 1ss 
The Captain 9ss 
Envy 8ss 
Wind Gamin 4ss 
Performer 5ss 
Johana 7ss 

My thinking is:

A couple beaters (Captain and Johana) that have movement tricks and condition removal between them

Wind gamin and Performer to scheme, and performer for more movement tricks 

Envy for ranged threat/backfield babysitting 

As per SL rules I can only start with one upgrade. Because of the whole injuries thing, I figured Iron Determination is the best way to keep Ironsides alive till the end of the game 

Thought about bringing Ferdinand, because that's another model I want to play a few games with and figure out how to use. But Envy and Johana seem more useful, so maybe he can be a hire down the road 

I'm not familiar with campaign play but I think that Veteran Fighter is a better upgrade for her. If I could only take one upgrade on Ironsides, that's the one I couldn't live without. The +1 Adrenaline when she activates and the healing trigger of her Brass Knuckles attack really do a lot for her.

Steamfitters are nice with Ironsides. She really benefits from having Armor +1 and getting their condition that downgrades Severe damage (and Red Jokers) to Moderate damage.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, cbtb11235813 said:

Steamfitters are one of my absolute favorite models, I was debating between that and the Performer. Maybe I will try to rework one in. What would you drop for it? 

Maybe swap Johanna out for a Steamfitter. If you want to keep condition removal swap the Wind Gamin for an Arcane Effigy. I think that the Effigy’s condition removal is a better fit in a crew that is using Ironsides and a Steamfitter since Johanna removes all conditions, including your benficial ones.

That leaves you with 2 stones to spend since you are trading an 8SS model for a 6SS model.

Are you limited to a single upgrade for your entire crew or just for your leader?

That's a good point on the effigy removing only conditions you want to remove. And it is one upgrade for the whole crew, but any stones not spent become scrip (currency to add new models/upgrades to the arsenal later) so not spending every last stone is not necessarily a waste. Leaving 2 let's me buy at least one more Ironsides upgrade next week (upgrades cost twice as much as their SS cost)

My vote's for Veteran Fighter as your first upgrade as well.  I'd be tempted to do something like this:

Ironsides - Veteran Fighter 1

The Captain 9

Johan 8

Arcane Effigy 4

Union Steamfitter 6

Wind Gamin 4

6 activations isn't too bad for 35ss, and with all the important models being M&SU you can use Hand Picked Men pretty effectively.  This also gives you some extra scrip you can spend (I'd either grab Well Rehearsed for Johan or Patron's Blessing for Captain before worrying about more Ironsides upgrades yet, but when you do grab one for her I'd lean towards Challenge the Crowd especially as people's lists grow).  As tempting as it is to drop Johan you are probably going to want a healer of some sort for the rest of your crew, I'd only drop him if you're planning on taking an Automaton later.  Also, shameless plug, but it just so happens I recently made a guide on her here if you'd like some tips!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, retnab said:

My vote's for Veteran Fighter as your first upgrade as well.  I'd be tempted to do something like this:

Ironsides - Veteran Fighter 1

The Captain 9

Johan 8

Arcane Effigy 4

Union Steamfitter 6

Wind Gamin 4

6 activations isn't too bad for 35ss, and with all the important models being M&SU you can use Hand Picked Men pretty effectively.  This also gives you some extra scrip you can spend (I'd either grab Well Rehearsed for Johan or Patron's Blessing for Captain before worrying about more Ironsides upgrades yet, but when you do grab one for her I'd lean towards Challenge the Crowd especially as people's lists grow).  As tempting as it is to drop Johan you are probably going to want a healer of some sort for the rest of your crew, I'd only drop him if you're planning on taking an Automaton later.  Also, shameless plug, but it just so happens I recently made a guide on her here if you'd like some tips!

Thanks! 

Are you starting with a master? In the standard SL rules, you start with a Henchman-led 35 SS crew, where you have to pay the leader's cost in SS as well.
Masters also have a default cost of 15 SS once you get one.

Other than that, your list looks good. Lots of mobility and killing power - I too would add the Arcane Effigy. Conditions can really mess up low model count games, and in the beginning of the campaign, AP will be at a premium, so having cheap, durable scheme runners is *really* good.

I tried out the list last night against Dreamer, worked pretty well. We upped the pool to 40ss so I added the Medical Automaton, who definitely did work. I'm used to playing summoning masters, so being so severely outactivated was a new feeling. Ironsides managed to kill at least one major model a turn, which turned the tides considerably. Also, Johana swinging on Teddy or Chompy next to Ironsides is a wonderful thing. :+flip:+flipto attack and :+flip:+flip:+flipto damage is a wonderful thing. Ironsides Killed Chompy simply by standing there and taking hits with her defensive trigger. Very fun master overall