Scheme markers in impassible terrain?

Stark

Question

Hello wyrdos!
The question:

1. Wong has ability " What Goes Up...: Discard Scheme Marker within 4". If this happens, at the end of the Turn place a friendly Scheme marker within 6" of this model. Bla-bla-bla.". It's possible to place scheme marker in that way in impassible terrain with Ht 0? With Ht 3? On the top of impassible column with Ht 9?

2. Does model with Ht2 place scheme marker on the top of impassible column with Ht 2/Ht 6/ Ht10 through Interract action? In rules only cays you can place scheme marker in base contact, but no words about elevation...

I found nothing about it in core rules, FAQ and forum.

I think he can't, but I can't find anything to prove my state(

7 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, Stark said:

Yeah, that's also like homerules, but I need something more solid))
Mmm about flat roof it's understandable, but I'm talking about something like bottomless hole in the ground, or lake of lava which players consider like impassible terrain.

This is a friendly reminder of the rules in the "Define and Place Terrain" step, especially when you mention things like " bottomless hole in the ground".

Some questions the players will need to answer are:

What are the Ht and base of the terrain? What traits does the terrain have? Are there special interactions with the terrain? 

Question #3 is the you agree with the other player "No placing markers in this terrain, either."

That is as solid as the rules for terrain are.  

• Like 1

If the marker is on a piece of terrain with ht it isn't touching your base unless the model is on the same piece of terrain. They need to be physically touching.

For the other stuff I'm not 100% sure on what the rulebook says but my group has always played it like markers can't be in impassable terrain, only where a model could br placed. Note that some terrain can be impassable but have a roof that you can stand on or similar. In that case you could place a marker on the roof with an ability that places the marker a few inches away.

3 hours ago, Ludvig said:

For the other stuff I'm not 100% sure on what the rulebook says but my group has always played it like markers can't be in impassable terrain, only where a model could br placed. Note that some terrain can be impassable but have a roof that you can stand on or similar. In that case you could place a marker on the roof with an ability that places the marker a few inches away.

Mmm about flat roof it's understandable, but I'm talking about something like bottomless hole in the ground, or lake of lava which players consider like impassible terrain.

9 minutes ago, Stark said:

As far as the base rules are concerned I don't think anything restricts placing markers inside impassable terrain. There is a section about markers moving onto the top of the terrain if they would end up under it.

As said, there aren;t any rules to stop a scheme marker begin placed in impassable terrain, and several models can achieve it.

But to place a marker in base contact it needs to be on a piece of terrain the same ht as the base of your model. 

If we want to really get technical there are no rules for placing markers on terrain, they seem to always "denote a position on the table" (p. 49 big book) and there is specific mention of a marker moving on top of terrain if the terrain is created in the same spot after the marker but if we are big on playing RAW and never houseruling I would assume any marker created by a model on an elevation is actually under the elevated terrain. :) Houseruling that markers largely act like models in relation to terrain solves a lot of strangeness like a marker that has ht 5 forest terrain created under it is now at ht 5 and no model can get to it because the rules don't specify that only impassable terrain elevates the marker to the top it.