How does your group play?

4thstringer

In the guild forum a conversation about a Somer list had a side conversation like this:

Basically the comment was "why not just ask your opponent to stop bringing the same cheesey list every week" to which the  response was as you can see in the image.  

That got me curious.  I know if I found a power list and ran it week after week, I quickly would no longer have opponents.  But every meta is different.  So my question is "what does your metas games look like?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, 4thstringer said:

So my question is "what does your metas games look like?"

In our meta there everyone is competitive but this mostly seen on tournaments. When we play outside tournaments it's like result is not so important... At least for now. After June-July new players will have more experience so they could match everyone and i think we will play more serious game.

In our meta there doesn't exist something OP*. Once someone lost, he tries to find out his mistakes, sometimes rebuild crew and comes stronger next time, difference is between speed they understand their mistakes. Someone faster, someone slower.

Theme u mentioned is like another baby whining theme where someone lost game, lets blame his opponent and crew he plays. Not his mistakes, his unbalanced or one-sided crew, but everyone else expect himself. He even didn't provided his crew list/schemes e.t.c. just its unbeatable cause he thinks so....

Sorry for being rude.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I’d call my meta ‘experimental’.  We definitely play the game with winning in mind, but I don’t think I’ve ever played against the same list twice.  We definitely encourage creative crew selection.  Sure, we hassle each other when we take the Yasunori/ Nekima/ A&D equivalents, but on the whole we don’t cry “OP” and give up.

We also like to debrief each other after the game, pointing out where we each did well and made mistakes.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rillan said:

In our meta there everyone is competitive but this mostly seen on tournaments. When we play outside tournaments it's like result is not so important... At least for now. After June-July new players will have more experience so they could match everyone and i think we will play more serious game.

In our meta there doesn't exist something OP*. Once someone lost, he tries to find out his mistakes, sometimes rebuild crew and comes stronger next time, difference is between speed they understand their mistakes. Someone faster, someone slower.

I think that minis games encompass so much more than just the pure game level that it isn't always so simple. If you love certain minis and have spent a 100 hours painting them, then it might not be trivial to switch from Colette to Sandeep even if that would be the optimal choice from a gaming perspective. Staying with Colette might mean that certain match-ups will be really uphill and "OP" but it might still be justified because of other things.

There's also hundreds and hundreds of pages of background lore so I think that that is another worthy consideration. Someone might not enjoy playing the villains so they decide to play the good guys (Gremlins, naturally!). Or they are pig farmers by trade for ten generations and therefore pick up Ulix. Low Wp Pigs however struggle in some match-ups.

There are also players who don't have the time to keep up with the game. They have children and busy careers and other hobbies and whatnot. When facing such people I take it as a chance to bring all my less competitive models and build wacky and experimental crews. The games are a lot more fun for me as well when I can play "full on" but with sub-optimal lists and get a tight game. Trouncing an opponent 10-0 is seldom very satisfying. Give me a hard-fought 7-6 victory any day! Heck, even a hard-fought 6-7 defeat is usually more fun.

YMMV.

16 minutes ago, Rillan said:

Theme u mentioned is like another baby whining theme where someone lost game, lets blame his opponent and crew he plays. Not his mistakes, his unbalanced or one-sided crew, but everyone else expect himself. He even didn't provided his crew list/schemes e.t.c. just its unbeatable cause he thinks so....

Sorry for being rude.

Why be rude? You could easily say the same thing but use less loaded language. We are all here because we love Malifaux and try to get enjoyment out of a shared hobby. No need for rudeness!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

In my meta, we got a pretty hard time to set the meta. (Not talking about tournament, since there are very few in france yet)
We don't want a bombing/alphastrike vs Summon metagame so it's still difficult to set ourselves between casual lists and strong ones.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Why be rude? You could easily say the same thing but use less loaded language. We are all here because we love Malifaux and try to get enjoyment out of a shared hobby. No need for rudeness!

If @Rillan was referring to my comments in the original topic (and I don't know for a fact that @Rillan was, that's just one possible interpretation), I'm not offended. I'm wryly amused. 😁

38 minutes ago, Rillan said:

@Rillan are you making a comment about my question in the original thread, about suggesting to the opponent that he* bring a different "less cheesy" list? Like I said above, I'm not offended. I may just suggest that you could've misunderstood what I was getting at. It's all good, though.👍🏻 Happy to clarify further. 😉

*He because that example in the original topic used male pronouns.

1 hour ago, Tris said:

Our meta would most likely try and probably find a way to play against it, as we like to go to tournaments and have to be prepared for everything^^

That might be part of it.  Noone in our meta really cares about tournaments, so that goal isn't there.  

41 minutes ago, Diceman87 said:

I’d call my meta ‘experimental’.  We definitely play the game with winning in mind, but I don’t think I’ve ever played against the same list twice.  We definitely encourage creative crew selection.  Sure, we hassle each other when we take the Yasunori/ Nekima/ A&D equivalents, but on the whole we don’t cry “OP” and give up.

We also like to debrief each other after the game, pointing out where we each did well and made mistakes.  

I think this is most similar to our meta.  We have recently been doing an "iron chef challenge" where everyone gets a model they need to feature as much as possible in the coming week.  They get a score on how well they used the different aspects of that model.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm part of 4thstringers meta. We're small but the few that are left really love Malifaux. All of us show up to win, but I'd say we all have other goals equally as important as winning. Whether that's trying various lists that show that there's always a different way to win than current meta (as heard about on here or podcasts or wherever), playing everything in a favorite faction, or just finding out how old favorites fit in with or against new models. I go with whatever I find interesting at the moment. Sometimes that's based on a mechanic, a sculpt, some lore, a good battle report I read. Inspiration comes from all over, but I'm easily bored/distracted, and just not interested in sticking with one master/list/whatever long enough to push it. Like, I'm all in on ressers, tried the full on Nico card/summoning list. Yep, that's a thing, it works, I get the idea and don't feel any great interest in beating the dead kentauroi, so time to find what's next. Been to a few Nova Opens, did decently well and better than expected, a few other locals. They're fun, cool to meet new people, just not my cup of tea for a number of reasons.

I suggested the Iron Chef thing to keep the variety going, because that seems to be one of our common themes. It's pretty fun, and completely not serious. Give someone a model they have to showcase. They make a list and do whatever to use every part of that card. The opponent and any observers use the Drew Carey scoring method (numbers are made up and points don't matter anyway), giving up to 10 points for effectiveness and impact on the table, 10 for full use of everything on the model's card, and 10 for flair and personal style. If your group has time for things other than bleeding edge competitiveness, I highly recommend it.

So yeah, we're an Iron Chef meta.

Edit to say: @4thstringer Your next secret ingredient is Latigo Pistolero. Allez cuisine!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rillan said:

Sorry for being rude.

I so didn't read the other thread in anywhere as near as harsh a light as you. What the original poster did was describe the lists planned first turn and demonstrate how that is easily enough to unleash lots of damage on the enemies deployment zone at the end of the turn. That is the lists plan, so what schemes/ lists he used in games against it don't make a lot of difference.  It didn't read like a "I've lost a game, something is horribly overpowered" type of thread more  like a " I've lost and I'm looking for ideas to not lose again". 

<Modhat> Please remember to be polite</modhat>

Back on topic

My group is a mix of experimental play, and list honing. We have several people who own too much  and the main players all can play any faction. Most of the time even our experimental lists are challenging to the good players, although occasionally they do fall flat. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rob Lo said:

I'm part of 4thstringers meta. We're small but the few that are left really love Malifaux. All of us show up to win, but I'd say we all have other goals equally as important as winning. Whether that's trying various lists that show that there's always a different way to win than current meta (as heard about on here or podcasts or wherever), playing everything in a favorite faction, or just finding out how old favorites fit in with or against new models. I go with whatever I find interesting at the moment. Sometimes that's based on a mechanic, a sculpt, some lore, a good battle report I read. Inspiration comes from all over, but I'm easily bored/distracted, and just not interested in sticking with one master/list/whatever long enough to push it. Like, I'm all in on ressers, tried the full on Nico card/summoning list. Yep, that's a thing, it works, I get the idea and don't feel any great interest in beating the dead kentauroi, so time to find what's next. Been to a few Nova Opens, did decently well and better than expected, a few other locals. They're fun, cool to meet new people, just not my cup of tea for a number of reasons.

I suggested the Iron Chef thing to keep the variety going, because that seems to be one of our common themes. It's pretty fun, and completely not serious. Give someone a model they have to showcase. They make a list and do whatever to use every part of that card. The opponent and any observers use the Drew Carey scoring method (numbers are made up and points don't matter anyway), giving up to 10 points for effectiveness and impact on the table, 10 for full use of everything on the model's card, and 10 for flair and personal style. If your group has time for things other than bleeding edge competitiveness, I highly recommend it.

So yeah, we're an Iron Chef meta.

Edit to say: @4thstringer Your next secret ingredient is Latigo Pistolero. Allez cuisine!

Not until I'm done my current ingredient of the lone Marshall!  (Which I got a great idea for from the guild forums of a cyborg horse hitting symbols of authority)

• Like 1

We have one quite good (yet fortunately also very amiable and easygoing) skilled player, his usual opponents who have been forged against him by sheer necessity but aren’t top table at heart, and a handful of casuals, often on scanty terrain because we are spoiled for choice and that’s what we found in five minutes. We all have our preferred master on the table half the time at least*, but don’t change factions much even when experimenting with masters, a 10T/Guild (Misaki/Sonnia) excepted. An underpowered meta in general; first player even plays thematic just to keep things in check. In fact, I feel uncomfy when some jank list dreamed up on the Guild forums** here suddenly meshes all its cogs and rolls over one of the equally casual but perhaps not so...variable lists, even after warning my opponent first.

*my poor stompybots have been the daddy to so very many grow list terror tots... 😢

**sorry @Rob Lo, but bouncing ideas off of each other on the forum is fun! :D

Speaking of which, @4thstringer, wouldn’t nimble + unchargeable be better than nimble + fast?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Lots of casual players who move Masters and Factions often. Play to win, but generally list build for fun and variety. Pretty sure I'm the only one who stuck with a single Faction for every game for over a year, and I finally have enough painted models that I now refuse to repeat the same Master at an Event so you won't see me grinding out the same list over and over either.

If someone DID start running the same power list over and over not sure what would happen. I'd keep playing them, others probably would... but maybe not all. We like to vary opponents already so you wouldn't see it more than once a month anyway.

My group usually keeps to the same master for extended periods of time for ease of play and because we only play fully painted, spend time on models and have families competing for time. My latest master transition took me six months of painting so I'm not likely to swap anytime soon. It's also so much quicker when you know all your statlines and 70% of the opposing ones.

We have had a cutthroat tournament group but these days the most frequent players are pretty casual. Not to say we purposefully build bad lists but we aren't afraid of trying some fun stuff. I recently saw Santiago Ortega in an LJ crew for example. Against new players in the group I think most of us self regulate and play gloves on but if one of my regulars is dead set on trying some new nasty Sonnia thing I won't ask them not to. I'm gonna ge laughing and calling her OP when all my crew is dead turn three because her avatar is completely bananas of course but I hope they know it's all a joke. :)

sometimes I feel losses are much more interesting to analyse and learn from. If I won I can have trouble figuring out why. I often analyse it like: the opponent should have seen that coming and countered, this would never work against a prepared opponent.

• Like 1

My meta is in a weird place. Another player and I are passionate about the game, highly competitive and we play as often as possible. There's another 8 players who for various reasons are pretty casual, a couple of mid range players, and several new players who I think will be pretty strong once they get a dozen games in. 

The other top player and I go at each other no-holds barred which is the way we like it. We try to treat the other players the way they want to be treated. Some of them want to face our A game so they can learn and get better. Against players who want an easier time I'll do a combination of limiting my model choices to match theirs, building weak lists and selecting schemes that don't pair well with the models I'm bringing. After those kinds of handicaps I'll then play the game to the best of my ability.

Sidenote: I used to play Arcanists (jumped to NB this year) and I never bought or played Sandeep. For starters I never thought I'd like his play style which is just personal preference. Second I just think he's way too OP and that's not how I want to win. The other top player plays Ressers and his favorite Master in the whole game has always been Nico. That said, a few Nico games after Wave 5 and he decided to retire Nico until he gets nerfed. He said he just felt too OP and he also didn't want to win by doing the same thing everyone else was doing. (I'm just stating our preferences here and in no way am I knocking Nico or Sandeep players--enjoy the game in whatever way works for you.)

• 2 weeks later...

Our group is small but dedicated, trying to play at least twice a week. We focus on playing the game well, not caring much if we win or lose, and thus end up playing and experimenting with a lot of different masters and scheme pools. As a result we think a lot about our game play and play well when allowed to spend time thinking but have little experience with tournaments.