Sign in to follow this  
Xavian and Deathgrip

Questions about how the characters were made?

This is primarily out of curiosity, I have been wanting to try out the Through the Breach system for a bit but have nonetheless picked up on a few things about character creation. 

First is that is seems that characters receive two class skills and one generic skill at game start, as well as stats that equal (2) due to both mind and body cards having a total of zero. Characters then alternate generic skills with class skills.  Yet some of the characters have differing numerical totals, two have stats above 4 (which I thought was impossible?), Kimber seems to lack a generic stat, and I frankly have no idea how a character receives a trigger, just random questions basically. 

Also what are the two class skills the alchemist receives, the other characters are obvious, but I can't figure her's out. 

edit: So I had a bit more of a look, and it seems that you gain a trigger when a skill reaches level 3, but can only gain skills like this once per level, or you can sacrifice a generic skill for a trigger in a skill you have at least 3. 

So that would mean that the chemist's class skills were the flaming bottles doctor trigger and the flask of formaldehyde?

Edit 2: No wait, the chemist's skill is why she has so many infect triggers yes? Still, why do some characters have no triggers at level 3 while other do?

8 hours ago, Xavian and Deathgrip said:

First is that is seems that characters receive two class skills and one generic skill at game start, as well as stats that equal (2) due to both mind and body cards having a total of zero. Characters then alternate generic skills with class skills.  Yet some of the characters have differing numerical totals, two have stats above 4 (which I thought was impossible?), Kimber seems to lack a generic stat, and I frankly have no idea how a character receives a trigger, just random questions basically.

To clarify, when you are saying Skills, you mean Talents. Skills are things like Alchemisty, Toughness, etc.

Some of the Talents are hidden due to lack of space. For instance, one of Kimber's starting Talents gives her the Critical Strike Trigger. Instead of listing a Talent that says "Kimber gains Critical Strike," she just has Critical Strike.

Body and Mind Aspects (i.e., stats) do not always equal zero. None of the characters have Aspects above 4, though two of them do have a stat of 4 (which is possible but rare during character creation).

Characters with a Skill rank of 3+ during character creation gain a Trigger. After that, they can spend Experience Points to learn additional Triggers after a Skill reaches Rank 3 and again at Rank 5. Due to space constraints on the pregens, not every Rank 3 Skill has been given a Trigger.

Additionally, as noted above, some Talents give Triggers to characters. Shige has a Chemist Talent that grants the Infect Trigger to all of her attacks, for instance.