Experienced Player, new to TT, Blog

Jugan0ght

😁Hello all

So recently I have been doing very well with Outcasts but I suffer from Magpie syndrome (always looking for new shiny toys) and the Ten Thunders have caught my eye. 

I've invested heavily and basically brought the whole faction and have the majority built. Originally it was Asami that caught my eye but i have 3 major events coming up in 3 weeks and around 9 days to learn the faction or at least one or two masters well before then. Learning Asami seems ok, the summons and stuff on top I thought could leave me panicking about what would be the correct summon at the time. 

So the reason for this blog is for me to track my games and lists and see how they have grown or what works/doesn't work for me.

For my first game I told my local gaming group Misaki seems like a good way for me to get into the faction (being aggressive comes with Outcasts really). My opponent then 'randomized a game' and i am pretty sure it has been set up to go against what I think Misaki should be doing and to annoy me 😃.

The pool is below. Looking at the schemes i decided Misaki flying over the board wasn't going to be best, although i am expecting to face Resurrectionists. 

Game one on my adventure is:

Standard Deployment

Surround them

Hold up their forces

Search the ruins

Take prisoner

Recover Evidence

In advance we have both written lists and I have chosen to run Shen long who I have always liked the looks of. The crew I picture is:

Shen long Cache of 5

Yang

Wandering River Style

Sensei Yu

Peaceful waters

Peasant

Shadow Emissary 

Conflux of the Dawn

Katanaka Crimeboss

Lotus Eater

Charm Warder

Shadow Effigy

I will post my opponents crew tomorrow. 

Reasons behind the crew. Katanka Crimeboss and Lotus eater both interest me and i have never had the opportunity to use them. 3 out of the 5 schemes require scheme markers so I am hoping this will create a lot of card draw alongside the Emissary. This will let me build a decent control hand to keep Shen long around. My thoughts are to throw Shen long into the Resser master with the extra attack from Yang and this will hopefully allow me to get the trigger off to stop them using SS to summon/prevent damage.

The Charm warder is there to give the 0 action to Shen Long, mostly this is to make him 'Vanished 13' . i am not expecting Reeva or Seamus so I am hoping he will be in a small bubble with summoned minions with low WP.

Shadow Effigy because hes cheap so why not.....

20 minutes ago, Jugan0ght said:

😁Hello all

So recently I have been doing very well with Outcasts but I suffer from Magpie syndrome (always looking for new shiny toys) and the Ten Thunders have caught my eye. 

I've invested heavily and basically brought the whole faction and have the majority built. Originally it was Asami that caught my eye but i have 3 major events coming up in 3 weeks and around 9 days to learn the faction or at least one or two masters well before then. Learning Asami seems ok, the summons and stuff on top I thought could leave me panicking about what would be the correct summon at the time. 

So the reason for this blog is for me to track my games and lists and see how they have grown or what works/doesn't work for me.

For my first game I told my local gaming group Misaki seems like a good way for me to get into the faction (being aggressive comes with Outcasts really). My opponent then 'randomized a game' and i am pretty sure it has been set up to go against what I think Misaki should be doing and to annoy me 😃.

The pool is below. Looking at the schemes i decided Misaki flying over the board wasn't going to be best, although i am expecting to face Resurrectionists. 

Game one on my adventure is:

Standard Deployment

Surround them

Hold up their forces

Search the ruins

Take prisoner

Recover Evidence

In advance we have both written lists and I have chosen to run Shen long who I have always liked the looks of. The crew I picture is:

Shen long Cache of 5

Yang

Wandering River Style

Sensei Yu

Peaceful waters

Peasant

Shadow Emissary 

Conflux of the Dawn

Katanaka Crimeboss

Lotus Eater

Charm Warder

Shadow Effigy

I will post my opponents crew tomorrow. 

Reasons behind the crew. Katanka Crimeboss and Lotus eater both interest me and i have never had the opportunity to use them. 3 out of the 5 schemes require scheme markers so I am hoping this will create a lot of card draw alongside the Emissary. This will let me build a decent control hand to keep Shen long around. My thoughts are to throw Shen long into the Resser master with the extra attack from Yang and this will hopefully allow me to get the trigger off to stop them using SS to summon/prevent damage.

The Charm warder is there to give the 0 action to Shen Long, mostly this is to make him 'Vanished 13' . i am not expecting Reeva or Seamus so I am hoping he will be in a small bubble with summoned minions with low WP.

Shadow Effigy because hes cheap so why not.....

Shenlong is not my main master, but I can already see some things I'm not really liking 😛

1. Shenlong and his upgrades. I'm not really a fan of the yin/yang upgrade path he has going on. Yin requires you to stack poison on him to be effective and I've barely ever used the poison on him as he usually has better things he can do. yang can work if you play him agressively, but you really need to have a good sense of timing on when you can or can't go in. There are some dirty tricks here though, such as stacking both burning and poison and use High River Style with Yin to just ignore everything :) Yang also works well with High River Style as more offense is welcome with that card. However, if you're planning on going agressive with Shenlong I really advise getting Misdirection on him. You just won't believe how hard he can become to take down with High River Style and Misdirection in a cluster of enemy models.
  2. Sensei Yu: Please pick up his upgrade Promising Disciple. that upgrade turns Yu into Shenlong 0.75 as styles are given to Yu instead of being discarded. When you switch styles, you can decide to give it to Yu for free, which is great and allows him almost thesame flexibility as Shenlong. Yu also becomes semi-immune to condition damage and can keep focus between turns. When going Yu with Shenlong, ALWAYS pick Promising Disciple. It's just that good.
  3. Card draws and advantages. I see you speak of the card draw on Lotus Eater and Crime Boss, but that is almost fully dependant on your opponent as HE has to drop markers. They also don't stack if he drops a marker in an overlapping :aura field, so why take a chance on it and instead go for certainty? I'm talking about bringing a Low River Monk instead of the Charm Warder. Since you're bringing the Emissary with Shenlong's upgrade, you can use the little trick with the LRM and generate 3 focus for a (0) action (if near Shenlong) and a 1 AP action to get 3 focus as LRM gets a free focus the first time he focusses. That means he still has 1 AP left to move/scheme/heal. The Emissary can use his Shenlong upgrade (0) action to take away the 3 focus and turn it into a 3 card draw. As you can guarantee this happening every Turn, that's pretty sweet.
  4. Any form of beater. Currently your crew lacks damage options imo. You have Shenlong, but he's no Misaki/Lynch. You have Crime Boss, but that's more a tanky bruiser than an actual damaging model. Emissary can do 1 big attack per Turn and that's it. I'm happy you're not picking up Yasunori as I've been running that thing WAY too much, but I've learned the hard way that having a moderate damage crew in general does not seem to work. I feel like your crew CAN work, but you'll have to play really well to get that done and Shenlong is already a rather difficult master to master (no pun intended) with all his Style changing. If you overextend Shenlong without the right Style on him, be prepared for him to drop really really fast.

A small remark regarding your crew as is now: Yu has the LRM upgrade, but no LRM in your crew. That's actually not allowed as that upgrade can only be taken when you have a LRM in the crew.

I could continue, but I don't want to push my playstyle on you. What I've written above is something I think a lot of people will agree on. I'll let it sink in and let me know if I helped you out. If something isn't clear or you'd like some further details, just ask ;)

• Agree 1

Agreeing with most of what was brought up by whodares... (I usually like yin/yang :P, though i'll concede I probably would not take these upgrade  in ply with the available scheme pool)

And I'll rewrite once more: Yu in Shenlong really like promising disciple... grabbing the style updrade when Shenlong drop them is good, being able to stack/keep focus on Yu is also very good, especially if he get wandering river style (so you can past multiple slow or fast in same activation, and interact without spending AP)

The effigy could also be replaced for a monk of low river (and keep the charm warder? never tried them but by their card/stat, they seems really good) for the card draw. Effigy isn't bad at all but the hand sculpting from the combo help for really explosive turn 2-3 so it's probably better.

• Like 1

As who dares noted - LRM upgrade can only be taken if an LRM is in the crew. You want the LRM as its the cheapest (resource wise) way to get 3 cards from the Emissary's zero action. The Emissary can do it to himself but at the cost of a card (Discard a card for Focus 2, Focus for 1, then zero on himself) if you wanted to keep the crew as is. 

Only 2 of those schemes are scheme marker related

Ok so 2 things. with Yang and HIgh River or Fermented, Shenlong is a pretty decent damage dealer on his own. Crime boss works in that case as a second line beater. Sensei definitely needs Disciple. This seems pretty close to a list I ran the other week and did really well with. 

Don't switch to Yin. Its ok but Yang is almost always better. You can build up 3 to 5 burning, switch to high river, giving Sensei Wandering, discard a card, charge in for 4 attacks that have a blast/Double Blast damage track. If you have vanishing on + High river, to spend burning to boost your duel total, Shen should be fine. Especially if you removed at least 2 models on your charge. I would also suggest Recalled Training for this build as when you go in you wanna hit those blasts. Do as much damage as possible in that first turn. 

If your opponent is Ressers, switch to Fermented over HIgh River to make use of his hard to wound models. 

• Agree 1

Sorry for the delay in updating. i did indeed take promising disciple i had missed it whilst using the App, I took it and lowered my cache to 3. I found I didn't need that many but i understand this is very situational. 

Yang i loved it didnt even enter my mind to swap this upgrade. Playing against Ressers the extra wound for nothing other then being close to Shen was brilliant. Once i was fast I was hitting Nico with Shen Long and stopping zeros and soulstones is an amazing feeling.  

I did swap to Fermented River Style. One turn i RJ the attack against Nico which actually put me on a double :+flip:+flip which became a double :-flip:-flip which was annoying but it seems a waste to cheat lower when the RJ has been flipped.

So tonight I have another game lined up. This time against a more experienced TT player. I am expecting to face Mcabe, Super Weasel, 2 Wardens, Emissary and  Yasunori. Maybe something else.

Schemes

Standard - Public Executions

Eliminate 
Covert Breakthrough
Undercover Entourage
Inescapable trap
Take prisoner

I am thinking (mostly because i want to try different stuff before an event next week:

Shen Long

Wandering River Style 2ss

Words on the River 1ss

Yang 1ss

Peasent 2ss

Sensei Yu

Promising Deciple 2ss

The peaceful waters 0ss

Yasunori 13ss

Recalled Training 1ss

Katanaka Sniper 7ss

Katanaka Sniper 7ss

Monk of the Low river

My plan is to stay back and pick people off or at least weaken them enough for my crew to finish off in combat. Sh6 and 2 shots from each sniper seems epic! Baring in mind i know this opponents style this will make him panic and charge me, or hide depending how much he panics 😊

Just an update on the above game. My opponent took Reva which surprised me and unfortunately due to her hiding the whole game I didn't score Eliminate Leadership.

It became an opportunity to see how quickly I could get Sensei Yu up the board and score Undercover Entourage. Apparently very quickly is the answer but this was obvious with him being walk 7 and being able to go fast very quickly. 

I had another 2 games this weekend which i will update on this blog. One Vs Colette and another against Orphelia 

On 4/20/2018 at 7:25 PM, Jugan0ght said:

I did swap to Fermented River Style. One turn i RJ the attack against Nico which actually put me on a double :+flip:+flip which became a double :-flip:-flip which was annoying but it seems a waste to cheat lower when the RJ has been flipped.

You know, you can choose any other card apart from a red jocker?