Dense Terrain and Back Alley.

WWHSD

Question

Can Seamus use Back Alley to place next to dense terrain? Looking at the rules for dense terrain it looks like the Back Alley ability would consider dense terrain to be blocking.

Dense - Models can see into this terrain, but not
through it. Models outside the dense terrain may draw
LoS to targets within the terrain. Models may ignore
the dense trait of terrain that they are within, when
drawing LoS. Otherwise, the terrain is considered
blocking.

1) Back Alley (Ca 7:crow/ TN: 14:crow / Rg: -): This Action may only be taken if no
enemy model can draw LoS to Seamus. Place Seamus anywhere within 10” that
is also within 1” of any blocking terrain.

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

What do you mean? Dense terrain is not blocking terrain, blocking is a specific trait. You can block LoS without being blocking terrain. It's useful for breaking LoS sp he can actually place to something blocking though.

Dear lord,I also seem to have the dense trait. Now I get what you sre saying. Well that makes Seamus very happy. :D

1 minute ago, Ludvig said:

What do you mean? Dense terrain is not blocking terrain, blocking is a specific trait. You can block LoS without being blocking terrain. It's useful for breaking LoS sp he can actually place to something blocking though.

I believe the sticking point is this sentence right here...

23 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Otherwise, the terrain is considered blocking.

With that sentence in mind I think Seamus *can* jump to the forest using back alley, unless he's currently standing inside the forest.  Then he'd ignore the dense trait so it's not blocking for him.  Odd...

16 minutes ago, Clement said:

I believe the sticking point is this sentence right here...

With that sentence in mind I think Seamus *can* jump to the forest using back alley, unless he's currently standing inside the forest.  Then he'd ignore the dense trait so it's not blocking for him.  Odd...

The way I read the rules for dense terrain is that unless LoS is being drawn to or from a model inside of it is considered to be blocking. Seamus isn't trying to draw LoS with the place portion of Back Alley so it would be considered blocking.

13 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

The way I read the rules for dense terrain is that unless LoS is being drawn to or from a model inside of it is considered to be blocking. Seamus isn't trying to draw LoS with the place portion of Back Alley so it would be considered blocking.

I read it the same.