Mcmourning vs shooting list tips

Coyotebreaks

Hi

does anyone have any tips for playing a mcmourning crew against a more long range type of list.

i played my first game against gremlins yesterday and got shot to pieces . I found in order to get into range to use my poison stuff I also had to get in range of the guns. And they hurt.

my list is fairly simple

mcmourning with moonlighting 

sebastian with those are not ours

rafkin with transfusion 

flesh construct

nurse

canine remains

35 sole stones

i add more dogs , the totem and a belle or two in higher point games 

cheers for any tips

McMourning himself has extreme mobility so unless they have a lot of pushes he can tie up shooters. Sebastian also has a (1) to give every :ToS-Range: attack negative flips. This stacks with cover and lasts until Sebastian hoes again so you can make yourself very difficult to hit for most of turn 1 and two with a single ap.

If McMourning is near Sebastian and has plastic surgery he pushes 5 inches when he activates because of poison from the chihuahua or a nurse. He can then rancid transplant someone and take the trigger to push into base contact with them. Hopefully they now haveenough poiaon for you to expunge and get an extra flesh construct from the dead model. Now the enemy is engaged with about 28 wounds trying to sback on them.

thanks for tips. I never seem to manage to make many flesh constructs (in fact never managed one) so I did not think to go for that. I have also got into trouble for having mcmourning push too far forward. but as you say If combine creation of flesh construct with mcmourning being  there, it should spread things out. 

but then if  they focus attacks on mcmouring then he could go down quite quick. 

• Like 1

Ok, right topic this time.

Take the emissary instead of Rafkin. It survives more and creates mobile LoS blocks for your crew. 

My little helper on anything makes you completely untargetable from more than 3", this is especilly nasty with Sebastian since he cause massive poison damage to anything within 6" meaning they can't touch you but take 3damage when activating and hopefully three more unless the move away. Sebastian can just wander around putting up his no shoot aura. 

For 4ss you get guild autopsies who are very decent shooters and give out poison so iu could have a few near Sebastian who are now better at shooting than most other models.

McMourning tends to die in my games but the healing on hisml attack can hrlp him last quite a while, you just need to be mindful of when he needs to activate to be able to heal a lot but not be dead first. Pushing out from behind blocking terrain also helps immensely, there is no point in letting them shoot you before you are ready and if he can get engaged most enemies will need to randomize. McMournings ml attack isn't all that but if Sebastian follows that auto-infec just became three extra points of damage before thy get to go o their next activation meaning McMourning basically did five weak damage instead of two.

a trick that "could" help (depends on board and opponent's positioning really) would be to activate your nurse and try to give the flesh construct either the move speed buff (if you have to close the gap quickly) or the armor buff (if you need to grab a location). Then activate the fleshie and move it about where you want McMourning to go. Then use it as a living shield. Gremlins can struggle with high wound count models since their big damage tends to hurt themselves as well, and armor 2 makes them nigh unkillable. McMourning can be in relative safety for a next turn "push around fleshie and charge" if you like him as a beatstick. Otherwise, Launch the fleshie at them, then rotten transplant until the Gremlin has enough poison to Expunge into another fleshie.

As others probably said: emissary, my little helper, sebastian aura, and raw speed are McM's main anti shooting tech.

Emissary is particularly good into gremlins everything (shards, speed boost, blasts with extra attack triggers, summons, scheme marker drop, the thing is a monster).

I find it very hard not to take McMourning with plastic surgery, moonlighting, and decaying aura (possibly in that order of preference). Get that it is a low point game though.

Rafkin is such a solid model, hits so hard for cost, but i can see debate into gremlins (their threat is dispersed, their characters are slippery). I almost never take rafkin without my little helper. If the board state is right, move up aggressively toward the mid-table end of turn 1, pop MLH turn 2 now you have a potentially 4 attack min damage 3 missile that can't be attacked from range.

I'm not a fan of transplant in general, stacking poison on a target is usually not problematic (plastic surgery). Possibly it is more useful now in gg18 for meta reasons, but i haven't tried it.

Flesh constructs are nice, summoning them off expunge is a very strong ability, but it is not the be all end all.

• Like 1

@mo11usq

Summoning flesh construcs from lowly bayou gremlins is actually an ap goldmine and getting them to poison 4 should be a piece of cake unless they even went reckless and start at 2 wounds. That should yield you a construct each turn barring a black joker on the expunge. Even the "sturdy" gremlins are often succeptible to a good expunge. It snowballs really fast.

Flesh constrcts can devour most gremlins ifyo lck ot on suuits, even Ophelia.

@Ludvig

Certainly a valid tactic, especially if the blighters start spreading out.

Devour on Ophelia etc. is magical xmas land to me, but maybe my hand pressure game is lacking. I think it is actively worse than using the construct's normal attack on the cheap gremlins - requires a suit and I want things to die from poison.

I tend to look for the KO on the big pieces, using rancid transplant and the horde to stack big poison on a target for the expunge finisher, gets round squeal quite well. I look to turn Bayeuxs into dogs if I can, they tend to go reckless and tagging them for at least 1 dmg and poison with a canine remains, or emissary blasts is very doable.

That said, this was my gg17 playstyle. Mcm's dog engine seems weaker in gg18 due to it being easier for the enemy to score off ablative minions. Will keep in mind your way next time I get the opportunity.

Devour is probably a hand pressure approach, as there are a lot of times your opponent can't risk losing that duel, so if you're lucky enough to make them cheat first, they probably have to cheat high just in case you have that crow. I wouldn't expect to ever actually devour Ophelia, but I would expect to make them save good cards so I couldn't. 

45 minutes ago, mo11usq said:

Devour on Ophelia etc. is magical xmas land to me, but maybe my hand pressure game is lacking. I think it is actively worse than using the construct's normal attack on the cheap gremlins - requires a suit and I want things to die from poison.

You can't really count on it normally but with the 13 of tomes in hand Ophelia is guaranteed dead unless she flips/cheats the red joker. Same for other somewhat bigger gremlins. The fun part about the flesh construct is that you aren't allowed to pitch cards against their devour, it's just an automatic success so no real hand pressure needed you just need to draw a high tome. As Adran said they also have no idea of knowing if you have that 10-13 tome so will want to cheat their best cards to not instant-die if you won the initial duel.

Somr pools punish weedy summons but in some they're not that much of a liability. Engaging enemies to debuff them or (1) charging someting poisoned for both damage and debuff is a pretty great use of a crappy slow summon. Makes them waste ap killing it instead of shooting your real threats. 

• 3 weeks later...

Waldgeists are quite sturdy with their negatives until activated, mobile cover (stacks with Sebastian) armour +2 and 4" engagement. That means you can likely tie up several shooters while still being outside of their :ToS-Melee:range.