Is Hoffman competitive in GG18?

Fazza92

Hi all,

I’ve start try gg18 just now,and I’ve found a old Mcmourning and a old Joss models on a market for 5€ ....

Then I’ve tried to make a list with Hoffman and Joss....

But I’ve founding that for many strategies ,Perdita is better,for many schemes ,Nellie is better...ecc ecc

Anyone play Hoffman competitive?What list do you use ?

My metà is compromised by Reva,that has the most victories ,and that can Kill all models with armor (outside the bubble of Hoffman ),and she’s really fast to charge and kill Hoffman in a single activation...

Does Reva really kill him in a single activaion when she doesn't reduce his armour 2? Assuming mobile toolkit gave him armour to dissuade her since yyou're taking assets for Joss and won't mind another cheap activation. Don't play him much but he seems like a pretty good counter to her since he can zoom up with a big brute and smack her, in my experience she doesn't handle being hit very well.

2 hours ago, Fazza92 said:

How he can have at armor 2?

Malifaux child can attach modifications to Hoffman (though it requires an 11, it’s a worthy 11 against Wp attackers) for armor 2 without Arcanist Assets—though if you just got Joss, I can see that you want to try Arcanist Assets.

I can see a problem that if Reva charges Hoffman, she won’t kill him but can block his LoS to whatever construct is not closest. You might need the mechanical attendant just to keep LoS for machine puppet.

On the other hand, I build for alpha strike Hoffman and have had no problem making Reva deal with my aggression first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gnomezilla said:

On the other hand, I build for alpha strike Hoffman and have had no problem making Reva deal with my aggression first.

What do you use for alpha striking Hoffman. I tend to play very defensively with his bubble, but tend to find the crews movement pretty slow. 

23 minutes ago, wizuriel said:

What do you use for alpha striking Hoffman. I tend to play very defensively with his bubble, but tend to find the crews movement pretty slow. 

He can make anything pretty alphastrikey with the nimble attachment, a walk and fast. With Howard you don't even need to make him nimble first. That's 15" of movement on a peacekeeper and Howard before a flurry or charge with both.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fazza92 said:

So for his Alpha do You use Howard,Peacekeeper and?

Do You prefer Malifaux child to mechanical attendant?

Pick two out of Joss/Peacekeeper/Howard. After that you have already spent more than half our points on upgrades and three models so more big beaters won't be reasonable in most pools on account of activations.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 1:50 AM, Legislat said:

Hoffman is my pick of choice for symbols of athority. Cyborg nimble (0) interacts lone marshal is almost unstoppable marker picking machine with free + attack. And matching scheme (punish the weak) feats him well. 

Stealing this for my next game.  Though I thought punish the weak was just your hench and master get you points.

On 4/13/2018 at 7:01 PM, Ludvig said:

Pick two out of Joss/Peacekeeper/Howard. After that you have already spent more than half our points on upgrades and three models so more big beaters won't be reasonable in most pools on account of activations.

My preferred alpha strike with Hoffman is the Rail Golem, it takes slightly more set up but hits harder than Howard or the Peacekeeper. You need to power loop the Golem and a guardian to get him up to Ml7 with :+flip, give him nimble and make him fast which takes all of Hoffman's activation but you then get a model that is doing minimum 5 damage (6 with debt) on his locomotion attacks which will just cause anyone a headache. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Though I thought punish the weak was just your hench and master get you points.

That's correct :)

Maybe the intent was to say that tbe Lone Marshal himself is no minion so can't be scored off unlike most other scheme runners?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tris said:

That's correct :)

Maybe the intent was to say that tbe Lone Marshal himself is no minion so can't be scored off unlike most other scheme runners?

Indeed. And Hoffman himself with the henchman of choice can do all the killing. Francisco feats well - buffed up lone marshal is just silly. I like to watch my opponent dedicate half of his team to stop my marshal and fails miserably.

• Like 1

It gets dumber. If you have a cyborg on the table Hoffman can copy Version Update right back for a self-targeting, stacking modification attachment tool.

...oh hey, that’s another route to get him to Armor 2, and this one permits the mechanical attendant to be hired as well (but locks out the mobile toolkit, as it dictates all three upgrades).

• Like 2