Aionus in Arcanists

KingCrow

Recently bought Aionus because he looked fun and I've been wondering how to best use him in our faction. I was thinking of trying him with Mei as you can throw her into a mix of enemy models and then have Aionus throw around a lot of Slow and not have to worry because Mei is immune to Slow.  Maybe could throw some Metal Plating on Aionus from Sparks and make Aionus fast (4 AP would be strong with ignoring armor and potentially +1 damage from making something Slow). 

Maybe bring him along with a Dancing Sabre Colette crew to get that +1 damage from all the slow being passed around.  Plus he could move any markers such as Carlos's Flaming Pyre, etc. 

Anyone had any luck with him? If so, what crews have you run him in?

It seems like he could fit into a crew where Sandeep was taking Tutelage and Unaligned Sage.

All of Aionus’s actions are Ca actions so they’d get a + flip if Sandeep tutors Aionus. Sandeep would also be able to borrow Aionus’s attacks which are both interesting. If Sandeep borrows the close attack and buries a model with it, the  Aionus could follow up with additional attacks while it is buried.

If Sandeep has Unaligned Sage he can damage himself to draw a card when Academics discard to gain Fast. Pitching a card for Fast is almost always going to be better than pitching a card for Furious Casting (and if you wanted to you could do both). 

The Gamin with the buff that makes it Immune to slow also makes a nice target for Aionus’s slow attack. 2 inches around a 50mm base can cover a nice sized area.

It works well with Kaeris and Sandeep. Both use lots of cheap models so there a big chance of getting Fast. Also Aionus can benefit from either master. Only thing that stops me buying him  is its cost and Arcanist have very good model pool so there is no need in him. 

2 hours ago, WWHSD said:

It seems like he could fit into a crew where Sandeep was taking Tutelage and Unaligned Sage.

All of Aionus’s actions are Ca actions so they’d get a + flip if Sandeep tutors Aionus. Sandeep would also be able to borrow Aionus’s attacks which are both interesting. If Sandeep borrows the close attack and buries a model with it, the  Aionus could follow up with additional attacks while it is buried.

If Sandeep has Unaligned Sage he can damage himself to draw a card when Academics discard to gain Fast. Pitching a card for Fast is almost always going to be better than pitching a card for Furious Casting (and if you wanted to you could do both). 

The Gamin with the buff that makes it Immune to slow also makes a nice target for Aionus’s slow attack. 2 inches around a 50mm base can cover a nice sized area.

WoW! This is a great idea! Honestly, I'm surprised that someone hasn't tried using Aionus with the Mages.  Granted that a 28 point sink but now you have someone to spread slow in case they get too close, he can protect the mages, he gets buffed by their aura, makes them fast, draws more cards for Sandeep and can get the bonus damage b/c Mages can hand out slow.... what have we done @WWHSD? lol

Guess I need to get my mages back as I don't really prefer to use them but now I just might have to try this.

• Like 1

Just now, cbtb11235813 said:

Would mages need to discard a 6 or 7 to gain fast? Does A Stitch in Time care what you actually hired the model for, or is it always just the printed soulstone cost

It would be 7 cause in those cases counts printed value not the hired.

17 minutes ago, cbtb11235813 said:

Would mages need to discard a 6 or 7 to gain fast? Does A Stitch in Time care what you actually hired the model for, or is it always just the printed soulstone cost

Any effect in the game that refers to a model’s soulstone cost goes off of their printed cost and not what was actually paid for the model.

Big M2E Core, pg. 71:
'Soulstone Cost
When a rule refers to a model's Soulstone Cost it is
referring to the printed Soulstone Cost of the model.
Anything that causes a model to cost more (or less)
is ignored, such as Upgrades or the Mercenary
Characteristic.'

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KingCrow said:

Honestly, I'm surprised that someone hasn't tried using Aionus with the Mages. 

I think I've seen Larry Mottola mention that he occasionally uses Aionus with Sandeep.

I think Aionus has some nice tricks that he can pull of in a Sandeep crew but due to his cost I don't think they are anything that will shake up the meta.

I am skeptical. 

To give a Mage the following - No AP - discard a 7 to gain fast is great!

I do like Bury until end of turn. 

Everything else is underpowered for a 13 point model. That potential for an AoE slow is good but I’m not keen on a 13 point model spending an AP to slow another model (who is likely less AP). 

All that said I have noted this and added to my “wishlist”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azgadil said:

Everything else is underpowered for a 13 point model. That potential for an AoE slow is good but I’m not keen on a 13 point model spending an AP to slow another model (who is likely less AP). 

He's got a statline that would make some masters jealous and gets a 3rd AP each turn.  His ability to give Fast to models without having to telegraph that they are getting it and without using any AP to do it can also be powerful. If he's attacking something with Fast or Slow he's got a beater's damage track of 3/4/6 that ignores armor.  Add in his zero actions that are kind of unique and can either be game changing or go unused and he becomes difficult to put a stone value on.  

I think he’s priced right about where he should be for what’s on his card but it’s hard to justify paying that much for a single model, especially one whose effect on the game can be hard to measure and the situations to make him shine may not occur in every game.

I think he is actually pretty decent in a lot of game, especially when you're going to play against an enemy that uses any sort of Markers, which to be fair, there is a large amount of masters and other models that use Markers of some sort.  You can move them around and screw with the enemy's plans.  I think he might see a bit more play in GG18 with the emphasis on elite crews and the importance of AP usage compared to rarely being used in GG17.

On 4/13/2018 at 10:25 PM, azgadil said:

Thats sounds true, but if you consider that he has 3 ap, rather than 2, then you could view his AP as equivalent to a 2 AP model with cost of about 8.5, so slowing 3 9ss models nets you a slight AP gain. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1