Sandeep cache (5)  - To Command Another Plane/Unaligned Sage/Arcane Reservoir

Valedictorian - Imbued Energies

Kandara - Human Guise

Angelica - Practised Produxtion

Oxfordian Mage

Oxfordian Mage

Oxfordian Mage

Medical Automaton

George, if you did not have access to the Valedictorian, would you simply replace him with, say, Howard? Or would you consider a completely different list? And go maybe for the Howard/Carlos list you mentionned?

1 hour ago, Franchute said:

George, if you did not have access to the Valedictorian, would you simply replace him with, say, Howard? Or would you consider a completely different list? And go maybe for the Howard/Carlos list you mentionned?

This is tricky, I struggle to see this list without the vally purely for her tanky characteristics. I have considered Anna Lovelace also who is not tanky but does attack at range which helps her survive, and I may try her for the academic synergy, but it's only in theory and I doubt it's anywhere as good.

I would probably go down the Howard langston route, but would miss the threat range and survivability of Vally. I know the Americans get a lot of success with Joss in sandeep but I just don't see the manoeuvrability in him I think you need for the crew. It will also drop you down to 4 stones but that is doable so long as you remember to get the commands in wind upgrade out before your stones deplete. If you wanted Carlos that would also mean dropping Angelica and the automaton I'm not sure the mages can survive as well without her pushes, or that Unaligned Sage works without the automaton.

Perhaps you could swap Angelica and Vally for the Captain and Carlos? That fills all of the pushes, practised production, big minimum damage and survivability albeit at a few more resources.... 

What do you think? And as we are on first names basis, I wonder have we met previously? Forum names are deceiving 😁

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cbtb11235813 said:

That just sounds like a bad time

That game went rapdily down hill. There were a couple of bottlenecks on the board to get into the scoring circle which was great for the Incorporeal Nothing Beast and not so great for my Mages. The 2/5/7 damage track on a Ca7 attack is no joke.

I think my crew probably had the tools needed to take down my opponent’s crew but I got outplayed.

I was playing against a newer Guild player in the following pool:

Symbols of Authority 

Punish the Weak 

Take One for the Team 

Recover Evidence 

Dig Their Graves (not 100% sure on this one)

Take Prisoner (again, not 100% sure, since neither of us took these schemes)

My crew was:

Declared Faction: Arcanists 
Crew Name: Kaeris - fire & ice 50ss 
Leader: Kaeris - Cache:(4)
   Flaming Angel 2ss 
   Grab and Drop 1ss 
   Seize the Day 1ss 
Eternal Flame 2ss 
The Firestarter 7ss 
   Imbued Energies 1ss 
Arcane Effigy 4ss 
Soulstone Miner 6ss 
Soulstone Miner 6ss 
Silent One 6ss 
Silent One 6ss 
December Acolyte 7ss 

My opponent was using Sonnia, Samael, the Judge, an Orderly, a Witchling Handler, a Witchling Stalker, a Thalarian Queller, and the Brutal Effigy. I don’t remember which upgrades he took.

I took Punish the Weak & Take One for the Team (December Acolyte), and my opponent took Punish the Weak & Recover Evidence. 

My December Acolyte (with healing support from both Silent Ones) distracted Samael & Sonnia from the center of the board while the Soulstone Miners, Kaeris, and the Firestarter advanced. Sonnia fell turn 2 from repeated Harpoon Gun shots and a charging Soulstone Miner. (And yes, the Miner did get her soul in a stone.) His Orderly & Witchling Handler each took one of my Symbols, but my Silent Ones were able to hold them off from the third. The Firestarter  took out one Symbol, and Kaeris took the other two. Kaeris actually was able to kill a Thalarian Queller with Grab and Drop. :)

Final score: Kaeris 7, Sonnia 3. 

I scored 4 on the strategy and 3 on Punish the Weak, but my Acolyte failed to die for my last scheme. My opponent scored 2 on the strategy and 1 on Punish the Weak. By the time he revealed Recover Evidence, all of his surviving models were engaged in or near his deployment zone. 

2 hours ago, JoeJones said:

My December Acolyte (with healing support from both Silent Ones) distracted Samael & Sonnia from the center of the board while the Soulstone Miners, Kaeris, and the Firestarter advanced. Sonnia fell turn 2 from repeated Harpoon Gun shots and a charging Soulstone Miner. (And yes, the Miner did get her soul in a stone.) His Orderly & Witchling Handler each took one of my Symbols, but my Silent Ones were able to hold them off from the third. The Firestarter  took out one Symbol, and Kaeris took the other two. Kaeris actually was able to kill a Thalarian Queller with Grab and Drop. :) 

Sonnia Died turn 2?!? That's impressive.  I've only played vs Sonnia once in my 4 years of Malifaux and I remember her being a tough one to kill. Good Job!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hollingydale said:

And as we are on first names basis, I wonder have we met previously? Forum names are deceiving 😁

No, we haven't. I apologize for this "informality". Being a fan of your podcast might have me crossed that line.

Alexandre

3 hours ago, Franchute said:

No, we haven't. I apologize for this "informality". Being a fan of your podcast might have me crossed that line.

Alexandre

No mate, don't apologise at all! I'd much rather go by my first name than a forum nickname 😛 What do you think about the lists? I would like to use more captain myself but I haven't got around to it yet.

I recently thought about a Ferdinand Vogel in a Sandeep crew. His casts are nice, he can use the placement effect as ferdinand to disengage safely without further setup and you can set him up for atransformation turn 2 into a pretty nice charge :).

Another crazy List my community told me about was Colette and 7 Silent Ones. With "All together now" and a scheme marker close by to each of the Silent ones, they made a HUGE crescendo on the enemy with a trigger to cast it again. As soon as a silent one got hit, it had the trigger to turn into an ice statue and the others healing her up again. Oh and an ice gamin, that pushed all of the damage up!

Pretty neat and pretty crazy.

• Haha 1

Crew Name: k18 50ss 
Leader: Kaeris - Cache:(4)
   Arcane Reservoir 2ss 
   Flaming Angel 2ss 
   Heat Wave 2ss 
Eternal Flame 2ss 
Joss 10ss 
   Imbued Energies 1ss 
The Captain 9ss 
   Patron's Blessing 1ss 
The Firestarter 7ss 
Myranda 8ss 
   Imbued Energies 1ss 
Malifaux Raptor 3ss 

Took down the viks a couple of weeks back. The captain was awesome!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lokibri said:

I recently thought about a Ferdinand Vogel in a Sandeep crew. His casts are nice, he can use the placement effect as ferdinand to disengage safely without further setup and you can set him up for atransformation turn 2 into a pretty nice charge :).

I'd be interested to hear how it goes. It seems like Vogel is too mask hungry to be a good fit with Sandeep. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hollingydale said:

No mate, don't apologise at all! I'd much rather go by my first name than a forum nickname 😛 What do you think about the lists? I would like to use more captain myself but I haven't got around to it yet.

I have never played with the captain. A reason is because I dont have him painted and I typically try to play with painted models (though I never completely fill this condition). Another reason is because, pre errata, I was convinced by the argument that Angelica + Johan was a better option than the captain. As result, the captain has never been a priority on my painting list. And I'm a slow painter...

However I understand he is the only option we have if we need to move our master without spending his AP---also if we care about not hurting our master (i.e. oxfordian mages) nor we play Rasputina (i.e. Snow Storm). If you need to push Sandeep, he may be an option. Given that you are tight with your soulstones, adding Johan is clearly not an option, and converting Angelica into something that looks like a beater such as the captain looks like a good idea. The one thing I realize though is that, if you want to replace the valedictorian + angelica with Carlos + PP + Captain, you wont have enough sousltones to put Patron's blessing on the Captain. This means that either you'll have one less push than Angelica, or the captain might be too far back because you would use both his AP to push your other models. Would this be a problem? On the other hand, having 4 significant models (Sandeep+totem+captain+carlos) seems better than having 3 (Sandeep+totem+valedictorian), which is definitely a good thing on paper. It's just that it would be so great to have that one extra soulstone to get this one extra push or walk on the first turn.

19 hours ago, Hollingydale said:

I have considered Anna Lovelace also who is not tanky but does attack at range which helps her survive, and I may try her for the academic synergy, but it's only in theory and I doubt it's anywhere as good.

Is she an academic? I have the impression that she is not. Or did you refer to some other synergy? Or maybe you meant Amina Naidu (her name starts with an "A" like Anna)? I have only played Amina a few games and I still dont know how to use her properly. I see the potential but it happens to me sometimes that I do not know what to do with her APs.

21 hours ago, Hollingydale said:

I know the Americans get a lot of success with Joss in sandeep but I just don't see the manoeuvrability in him I think you need for the crew.

I am myself a big fan of Joss but I certainly play in a much different meta than yours. People around here dont practice Malifaux as much and I have never had to run after Nicodem sitting on a zombie horse.

By the way, I may have some other questions for you, if you dont mind. I always run 7 sousltones (or 6 maybe) when I play my summoners. I was surprised when I saw you only consider 5 with Sandeep. A thing I do a lot with any master I play is stoning for two extra cards at the begining of the turn. Given how effective Action though Inaction seems to be, is it the case that you never stone for cards? If so, is it because of the upgrade or because you tend not to stone for cards in general?

Also what is your opinion about Myranda?

45 minutes ago, Franchute said:

However I understand he is the only option we have if we need to move our master without spending his AP---also if we care about not hurting our master (i.e. oxfordian mages) nor we play Rasputina (i.e. Snow Storm). If you need to push Sandeep, he may be an option.

Vogel can do it once a turn, per model but it eats up a 7+ of :mask.

The 0 action on the Shastar Vidya Guard can push 2" any direction.

Dying Wind Gamin in LoS.

I think that all of the other options in the faction for pushing or placing a master are relative to the position of the model using the ability..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Franchute said:

By the way, I may have some other questions for you, if you dont mind. I always run 7 sousltones (or 6 maybe) when I play my summoners. I was surprised when I saw you only consider 5 with Sandeep. A thing I do a lot with any master I play is stoning for two extra cards at the begining of the turn. Given how effective Action though Inaction seems to be, is it the case that you never stone for cards? If so, is it because of the upgrade or because you tend not to stone for cards in general?

Also what is your opinion about Myranda?

I used to run Sandeep with 7 stones every game, but I have found dropping to 5 isn't a problem if you are smart with resources. 5 is not ideal but the power in the rest of the crew is worth it

I rarely stone for cards, not necessarily because Action Through Inaction but mostly because the commands in wind upgrade offers so many +ve flips that you rarely need better cards than you draw up, and stones are at a premium. Also Oxfordian mages are usually engaged by turn 3 so they can generate more soulstones, you can use focus to almost guarantee one each activation.

But most games even outside of Arcanists I don't like to stone for cards because I feel it is a too often a waste of resource you can often put to better use. Low cards are useful too, often to make your opponent use their better cards, or to discard.

As for Myranda, I know nearly every other Arcanist player uses her but I don't really like her outside of Marcus. The cat is extremely fragile and almost useless after taking 5 dmg, which is very easy to do.  And if your opponent is able to prevent the damage from its 1 AP the turn it's summoned the trigger is useless and then a waste of 9 stones. Definitely has a place as a lot of people get success, and the card draw is nice, but she's just not one of my favourites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Testing Golems and reactivate ^^ win vs Vikis

Crew Name: Ramos Golems 50ss 
Leader: Ramos - Cache:(3)
   Under Pressure 2ss 
   Arcane Reservoir 2ss 
   The Philosopher's Stone 1ss 
Brass Arachnid 4ss 
Ice Golem 9ss 
   Imbued Energies 1ss 
Ice Golem 9ss 
   Imbued Energies 1ss 
Angelica 6ss 
Union Steamfitter 6ss 
Ice Gamin 4ss 
Malifaux Raptor 3ss 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fictor said:

Testing Golems and reactivate ^^ win vs Vikis

Crew Name: Ramos Golems 50ss 
Leader: Ramos - Cache:(3)
   Under Pressure 2ss 
   Arcane Reservoir 2ss 
   The Philosopher's Stone 1ss 
Brass Arachnid 4ss 
Ice Golem 9ss 
   Imbued Energies 1ss 
Ice Golem 9ss 
   Imbued Energies 1ss 
Angelica 6ss 
Union Steamfitter 6ss 
Ice Gamin 4ss 
Malifaux Raptor 3ss 

This is something I want to try. I mainly liked the idea of Golems throwing spiders upfield for Ramos. But with under pressure, ice gamin and reactivate, man that's scary. 4 min-10 damage attacks flipping at :+flipto attack. I wonder if bringing a metal gamin would be more beneficial to bring up one of the golem's df. What does the raptor do in this list?

42 minutes ago, cbtb11235813 said:

I wonder if bringing a metal gamin would be more beneficial to bring up one of the golem's df. What does the raptor do in this list?

The Metal Gamin is bad because need stay 3" of the Golem and the idea is activate all trash and later reactivate the two Golems + push with Angelica + IE, then charge something and smash in the reactivation.

The raptor are here for the same reason that The Philosopher's Stone, if you need cards (in the last game my hand was terrible) I draw 7 + SS for 2 cards (bad cards) + discard the upgrade for 2 cards more + Steamfitter + Raptor hit the Totem to trigger with :mask to look on my library and put the 10 for the Brass Arachnid to reactivate the Golems.

1 hour ago, Fictor said:

The Metal Gamin is bad because need stay 3" of the Golem and the idea is activate all trash and later reactivate the two Golems + push with Angelica + IE, then charge something and smash in the reactivation.

The raptor are here for the same reason that The Philosopher's Stone, if you need cards (in the last game my hand was terrible) I draw 7 + SS for 2 cards (bad cards) + discard the upgrade for 2 cards more + Steamfitter + Raptor hit the Totem to trigger with :mask to look on my library and put the 10 for the Brass Arachnid to reactivate the Golems.

The Jank is strong with this list... and I LOVE IT! lol.  Now I guess I need to get more Golems to try this out... lol. 

Crew Name: Marcus what I have 50ss 
Leader: Marcus - Cache:(4)
   The Trail of the Gods 1ss 
   Feral Instincts 1ss 
   The Hunger Cry 1ss 
Jackalope 2ss 
Myranda 8ss 
Cojo 6ss 
Ferdinand Vogel 8ss 
Rougarou 8ss 
Razorspine Rattler 6ss 
Union Steamfitter 6ss 
Mobile Toolkit 3ss 

45 minutes ago, MetaphoricDragn said:

Ferdinand shifts to Beast Within, uses his attack's trigger to carve up the Toolkit, ignoring armor for a 1 hit kill and dropping 2 scrap.  This charges up the Steamfitter to give out armor twice on the first turn

That would be 3 scrap including the one that the Mobile Toolkit normally drops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1