Last list you played: arcanists

Franchute

Hello

I'm totally stealing the idea of other factions' threads here and simply ask you to post the lists you've been playing lately. I hope we can learn from others like this.

Last time, I played against outcasts the following encounter:

Headhunter, close deployment, eliminate the leadership, search the ruins, take prisonner, recover evidence, hold up their forces

My list was:

Declared Faction: Arcanists 
Crew Name: round 3 - ironsides 50ss 
Leader: Ironsides - Cache:(5)
   Warding Runes 1ss 
   Veteran Fighter 1ss 
   Iron Determination 1ss 
Amina Naidu 9ss 
Joss 10ss 
   Warding Runes 1ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Blood Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Doom Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Nemesis Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Union Steamfitter 6ss 
Large Arachnid 6ss 

My opponent had a von schill list. I took search the ruins and take prisonner on Hannah.

I followed the advice of @retnab and took iron determination because of eliminate the leadership. Unfortunately my opponent did not take this scheme and complitely ignored ironsides. I'll have to try again this build in the future. I took the large arachnid because of search the ruins in the pool. It was an easy win for me because the opponent is still new to the game. Joss was amazing that game. Strongarm died easily and, thanks to regen and amina, he came back above hard to kill something like 4 times.

Would you have modified this list? What was the last list you played?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Hello

I'm totally stealing the idea of other factions' threads here and simply ask you to post the lists you've been playing lately. I hope we can learn from others like this.

Last time, I played against outcasts the following encounter:

Headhunter, close deployment, eliminate the leadership, search the ruins, take prisonner, recover evidence, hold up their forces

My list was:

Crew Name: round 3 - ironsides 50ss 
   Warding Runes 1ss 
   Veteran Fighter 1ss 
   Iron Determination 1ss 
Amina Naidu 9ss 
Joss 10ss 
   Warding Runes 1ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Blood Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Doom Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Nemesis Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Union Steamfitter 6ss 
Large Arachnid 6ss 

My opponent had a von schill list. I took search the ruins and take prisonner on Hannah.

I followed the advice of @retnab and took iron determination because of eliminate the leadership. Unfortunately my opponent did not take this scheme and complitely ignored ironsides. I'll have to try again this build in the future. I took the large arachnid because of search the ruins in the pool. It was an easy win for me because the opponent is still new to the game. Joss was amazing that game. Strongarm died easily and, thanks to regen and amina, he came back above hard to kill something like 4 times.

Would you have modified this list? What was the last list you played?

Oddly enough the last crew I played was similar and my opponent didn't bother with Eliminate the Leadership. He just kept Ironsides paralyzed for most of the game.

Ironsides w/Warding Runes, Union President, and Veteran Fighter
Amina Nandu w/Warding Runes
Ferdinand Vogel
Angelica w/Practiced Production
Union Steamfitter
Trio of Mages with Temporary Shielding and Wards.

My last list was my opponent and I wanting to try out new Masters we hadn't played. I went a step further and played exclusively with models I had never played with. 

Challenge the Crowd 1ss 
   Iron Determination 1ss 
   Veteran Fighter 1ss 
   Killswitch 1ss 
The Captain 9ss 
   Patron's Blessing 1ss 
   Warding Runes 1ss
   Decoy 0ss  
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Blood Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Doom Ward 0ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
Oxfordian Mage 6ss 
   Temporary Shielding 0ss 
   Nemesis Ward 0ss 
Ferdinand Vogel 8ss 
Medical Automaton 5ss 
Performer 5ss 

He took Lucius with a couple Austringers, couple Lawyers, couple Guard, Jury, Dashell, and Scribe (there may have been more, don't remember) 

We didn't have time to get more than a couple turns in, so we are planing a rematch here soon. So far I actually quite like all the models I put on the table

Hm...very interesting how you play ironsides. I still have to try out more with the medical automaton and kick out the creation for it, but this far, i often picked the following crew succesfully:

Crew Name: ironsides ace 50ss
   Union President 2ss
   Warding Runes 1ss
   Veteran Fighter 1ss
Amina Naidu 9ss
Joss 10ss
   Warding Runes 1ss
Oxfordian Mage 6ss
   Temporary Shielding 0ss
Oxfordian Mage 6ss
   Blood Ward 0ss
   Temporary Shielding 0ss
Oxfordian Mage 6ss
   Nemesis Ward 0ss
   Temporary Shielding 0ss
Union Steamfitter 6ss
Electric Creation 4ss

You can give amina the warding runes of toni and toni iron determination, but then you should swap the effigy for the creation.

The electrical creation gives all my models the aura advantage of toni and make good use of Aminas liability. It seems like a long shot, but with mages pushing each other, it is worth it and i normally get some surprising or calculated hits in with the mages as a little first strike.

I don't take the ward that gives regeneration, because i don't want my models to lose this aura advantage and liability.

I really wonder about none taking the union president upgrade, because this is the most annoying upgrade in my opinion to guard all your other models additionally and if your opponent still wants to ignore Toni, he will spend a LOT of cards. With the healing ability, Armor +1, sheet armor and a bunch of stones and hitting back she should be pretty safe. I also love not spending adrenalin at the end of a turn.

I can barely imagine taking ironsides without the union president :-).

What are your thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Lokibri said:

I really wonder about none taking the union president upgrade, because this is the most annoying upgrade in my opinion to guard all your other models additionally and if your opponent still wants to ignore Toni, he will spend a LOT of cards. With the healing ability, Armor +1, sheet armor and a bunch of stones and hitting back she should be pretty safe. I also love not spending adrenalin at the end of a turn.

I can barely imagine taking ironsides without the union president :-).

I’m with you on Union President. I like not bleeding off Adrenaline in the early turns when it is a bit harder to come by and the Challenge aura can be nice. 

However, I think I’d probably drop it before Veteran Fighter or Warding Runes if there was a different upgrade that I was looking to try. 

Last game I played was Supply Wagons with standard deployment.  Schemes: Guarded Treasure, Covert Breakthrough, DtG, SoF, and Hold up their Forces

The list I played was:
Sandeep - Tutelage, Commands, Enlightened Soul

Carlos - Stunt Double, PP

Anna Lovelace - Warding Runes

Sloth

Performer

Effigy

Union Steamfitter

Oppenent brought a Levi Crew

One of the riders

Kentarou (SP?)

Lazarus

Yin

Totems

Maybe a few others... can't really remember.

I played vs a Leviticus crew who brought a Kentarou (SP?) to carry Levi up the board.  The Levi player then decided to charge Sloth who got his df trigger on the first attack and completely shut down Levi to which then Anna and Sandeep both Levi took off the field, forcing him to burn a totem to come back in the back of the field.  Turn 3, Carlos and Banasuva managed to put enough burning and damage on a rider (the one with the 0 action to take another attack) to take it off the board in one turn.  Summoned Gamin ran Covert Breakthrough and the rest of the crew pushed up my Wagon.  Sloth is amazing with being able to heal 3 damage and then getting rid of the slow with the Effigy.  Also, his Df trigger is amazingly good. 

Needless to say, I won the game 9-2 after tallying up the score when my opponent conceded end of turn 3.  

New to the game but here’s what I’ve been playing. 

Ramos (Comabt Medic, Arcane Reservoir, Under Pressure)

Brass Arachnid

Joss (Open Current) 

Howard Langston (Imbued Energies)

Amina 

Union SteamFitter 

Executions/Leadership 

Set Up 

Under Cover Entourage 

Show of Force

Search the Ruins

I used a similar list (only traded Johan for Amina and UnderPressure for Leviathan Powe Core) 

Ours / Guarded Treasure 

Hold up Their Forces

Inescapable Trap

Recover Evidence

Public Demonstrations

2 minutes ago, azgadil said:

Ramos (Comabt Medic, Arcane Reservoir, Under Pressure)

Brass Arachnid

Joss (Open Current) 

Howard Langston (Imbued Energies)

Amina 

Union SteamFitter 

Have you been just using the Steamfitter's zero action to generate the scrap for Ramos? If so, how's that been working out for you?

14 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Have you been just using the Steamfitter's zero action to generate the scrap for Ramos? If so, how's that been working out for you?

I have been using the steamfitter just for that in turn 1 and 2 and later for scheme markers and it is fantastic!!!

I really love it and she is worth every single point. With AR the discard 2 is not too bad. If you pick up a severe card it is an additional 3 arachnids and if you discard a book, you can take the reinforced sheet armor again, which is awesome on ramos, joss and howard a like.

Steamfitter ist just an excellent model and i use it very often.

Just now, Lokibri said:

I have been using the steamfitter just for that in turn 1 and 2 and later for scheme markers and it is fantastic!!!

I really love it and she is worth every single point. With AR the discard 2 is not too bad. If you pick up a severe card it is an additional 3 arachnids and if you discard a book, you can take the reinforced sheet armor again, which is awesome on ramos, joss and howard a like.

Steamfitter ist just an excellent model and i use it very often.

I'd think I'd want a pair of Steamfitters if I had taken Combat Mechanic and was using one to generate scrap for Ramos to summon off of but that gets pricey quick.

I use one SteamFitter and he generates the first scrap. Let’s be real here - this is a resource drain - but has some upside in that you have a model who is above average as a schemer and at least he can hit better than an arachnid.  I never spend a card on Weld and therefore don’t care that he can buff plate armor.  Any turn one scrap marker shenigans -  even if not ideal - are a bonus.  

Combat Medic is irrelevant in Turn One.

I have played both extremes of turn one:

Dream Scenario - Have two 10+ in your hand and a 11+ Tomb.  Activate SteamFitter any time where a ten+ is your grave.  Place Scrap. - Activate Ramos. - Activate Brass (give him reactivate and Stoke).  - Activate Brass (give Joss and Howard Reactivate).   

Worse Scenario - You have a scrap marker and two Arachnids, no hand and no reactivates.  

For now I’m okay with even the worst case.  I personally like paying six for SteamFitter as opppsoed to wasting a turn one Joss attack.  Or a four point Electrical Creation. 

Things get fun in future turns where you have more scrap available and can take advantage of Accompliance. 

I’m not 100% sold on SteamFitter. I’m still exploring and signs are positive. 

Take this experience as you wish I’m new to Malifaux and new to WarGaming. But I have a tournament history as a chess player and poker player. Malifaux is the first (except for MTG) of many board and card games that I have played that has me interested in a tournament scene. 

• Like 1

Steamfitter has a few nice perks (a 0 scheme is always great, even with a discard cost. Two cards for a Scrap is a deal i'll happily make for Ramos.  Permanent Armor +1 is extremely good on some models. Severe damage protection can be a real life-saver), but IMO the best part about him is his ability to "rig" your hand, with his better-than-Rush-of-Magic. Remember that knowing exactly what you'll draw is a massive perk. I've had the dream come true where I flip the RJ for initiative, activate my Steamfitter, and draw it right back, and it feels so good (my opponent was less impressed lol).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, retnab said:

Steamfitter has a few nice perks (a 0 scheme is always great, even with a discard cost. Two cards for a Scrap is a deal i'll happily make for Ramos.  Permanent Armor +1 is extremely good on some models. Severe damage protection can be a real life-saver), but IMO the best part about him is his ability to "rig" your hand, with his better-than-Rush-of-Magic. Remember that knowing exactly what you'll draw is a massive perk. I've had the dream come true where I flip the RJ for initiative, activate my Steamfitter, and draw it right back, and it feels so good (my opponent was less impressed lol).

There's not much worse than being so excited about the effect of flipping a Red Joker on a clutch defense flip that you activate a model other than your Steamfitter next. 

Steamfitter always pays for him/herself in my opinion. Flip as many cards turn one as possible (before your opponent forces you to flip outside of your activation), and wait for a good card to come up. Ive managed 4 RJs in 2 turns before, it was great. Also with sheet armor affecting RJ damage, its very comforting to throw a beater against something, knowing that no matter what, they are only taking moderate damage at worst. 

• Agree 1

Sandeep cache (5)  - To Command Another Plane/Unaligned Sage/Arcane Reservoir

Valedictorian - Imbued Energies

Kandara - Human Guise

Angelica - Practised Produxtion

Oxfordian Mage

Oxfordian Mage

Oxfordian Mage

Medical Automaton

The list is great. I have been running this since the UK masters this year and found that the card cycle from Unaligned Sage combined with the Medical automaton's healing is absolutely disgusting.

The way I play it is to usually have a Mage  beacon Sandeeps interact for Student of All, and use the free AP to bring out Immune to slow & can't cheat Banasuva, taking wounds on Kandara. Kandara activates, regenerates, removes the can't cheat upgrade from Banasuva so he is free to roam around or chaff up the board, and Kandara hides in safety til next turn.

Remaining two mages and Angelica can push Sandeep/Banasuva/Valedictorian into position and then you have theee solid beat sticks ready to go work. Generally Sandeep will use the 6" place, summon Commands in Wind gamin, put up Action Through inaction and then summon a third model or blast something if in range.

I hear a lot of hate for Valedictorian but she is stupidly tanky with hard to wound and terrifying - you don't need to cheat many cards to protect her whilst the opponent may need to cheat cards to attack! The ability to use soulstones also gives a reliable, long threat range from beaconing Path to Salvation

And having Action Through Inaction up gives so many opportunities for card cycle - furious casts, flurries and temporal shields alike. If the stars align, in one turn you can cycle 7 cards with this. It is definitely hard to find the spare AP to put it up, but it can be such a game changer. 

I used to run the Carlos/Howard list but finding a lot more offensive potential with this new crew, even if it doesn't look that way on paper.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hollingydale said:

I hear a lot of hate for Valedictorian but she is stupidly tanky with hard to wound and terrifying - you don't need to cheat many cards to protect her whilst the opponent may need to cheat cards to attack!

I haven't gotten a Valedictorian yet but I frequently play against a Resser player who uses her as his go to beater. Wk 6 on a model with Flight is awesome. I have to think the thing people have against her is that her attack has a minimum damage of 2 in a world full of minimum damage 3 beaters. 

10 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I haven't gotten a Valedictorian yet but I frequently play against a Resser player who uses her as his go to beater. Wk 6 on a model with Flight is awesome. I have to think the thing people have against her is that her attack has a minimum damage of 2 in a world full of minimum damage 3 beaters. 

Yeah she isn't exactly a traditional beater, more of a "sucker" support model which can be a brutal beater if needed (those sweet rams, which you can stone for!).

My Vally often dies late turn 2 to mid turn 3, but is also, together with Banasuva, soaking up nearly all of my opponents offense, as they are engaging the opposing crew and need to be dealt with. By this point vally, mages, Banasuva and sandeep have usually done their job dmg wise in crippling the opponents crew enough it's a foregone conclusion.

The 2/3/6 isn't ideal, but with the amount of small damage the crew puts out, you barely notice it. And her threat range is reliably HUGE, Mage pushes, Angelica pushes, imbued energies and Path to Salvation combined with flight gives her near enough the entire board to exploit if necessary (I find you don't need the mages push past turn 1 tho)

2 minutes ago, Hollingydale said:

Yeah she isn't exactly a traditional beater, more of a "sucker" support model which can be a brutal beater if needed (those sweet rams, which you can stone for!).

My Vally often dies late turn 2 to mid turn 3, but is also soaking up nearly all of my opponents offense, as she has to be dealt with. By this point vally, mages, Banasuva and sandeep have usually done their job in crippling the opponents crew enough it's a foregone conclusion.

The 2/3/6 isn't ideal, but with the amount of small damage the crew puts out you barely notice it. And her threat range is reliably HUGE, Mage pushes, Angelica pushes, imbued energies and Path to Salvation combined with flight gives her near enough the entire board to exploit if necessary (I find you don't need the mages push past turn 1 tho)

Her layered Defenses are nice as well. Hard to Wound and Armor +1 on top of a decent sized Wd pool are a nice combo. 

2 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Her layered Defenses are nice as well. Hard to Wound and Armor +1 on top of a decent sized Wd pool are a nice combo. 

Yep, plus access to soulstones and terrifying 12 before the opponent gets to hit. Layered defence is definitely what she is! The terrifying is great because it always takes more than one model to take her down, and it's usually more cards out of your opponents hand in an important turn.

Also Path to Salvation gives her an escape route if necessary in Vendetta games.

• Like 1

I got in a pretty good game last night!  It was Flank - Ply For Information, and the pool was Surround Them, Covert Breakthrough, Undercover Entourage, Search the Ruins, and Public Demonstration (but neither of us took 3 minions so this one was basically not there lol).  With such a scheme-heavy, end-of-game filled pool, I decided to go denial Ramos and see how it went (spoilers: it went well).

Arcanists - Surround Them, Covert Entourage (Cassandra)

Ramos - Arcane Reservoir, Leviathan Power Core, Vox Populi, 7ss

Amina Naidu - BET

Cassandra - IE, PP

Howard Langston - IE

Union Steamfitter

Mobile Toolkit

Neverborn - Surround Them, Search the Ruins

Dreamer - Adolescence, Sleep Cycles

Doppelganger

Lilitu - Warped Reality

Hooded Rider

Serena Bowman - Warped Reality

Tuco

Insidious Madness

(and some other things that didn't come up much)

My opponent deployed pretty aggressively with all the From the Shadows models to stop me from getting too far out of my DZ.  Howard triple walked turn 1 over to the left neutral corner engaging Tuco, Cassie dropped a Scheme in my DZ quarter and PP'd one off of Howard to already have Surround Them 2/3's of the way done lol.  From there Howard went on an anti-Scheme mission, one-shotting the Insidious turn 3 with the trigger and then getting deep into his DZ again to remove the enemy's DZ Surround Them Scheme and PP'ing my own there.  Cassie was mostly playing support, failing her Terrifying when she tried to kill LCB but otherwise being a strong nuisance.  I kept IE on her until the last turn for the casual 20" stroll into the enemy DZ at full health for Covert Entourage.

Ramos summoned 3 Spiders turn 1, 2 Spiders turn 2, and I actually didn't summon any more beyond that.  My opponent started placing Search the Ruins Schemes very early, so I merged 3 Spiders into a Swarm to pulse remove enough of the Schemes to deny the scheme entirely, and the Swarm then face-tanked the Hooded Rider and Lilitu before going down, not bad!  What was I doing besides summoning, you ask?  Well, I was burning the heck out of my Soulstones so by turn 3 Ramos had a 13" Electrical Fire.  So I was dropping Strike Markers for Amina to Summons models through and firing bolts of lightning all over the place.  On turn 4, my Mobile Toolkit gave Ramos :+flip to damage, then he burned 2 Powering Up's for the +1 Electrical Fire damage, hitting and cheating in the RJ for damage to one-shot a newly summoned LCB, then using his other two AP nearly killing Dreamer.  Turn 5, he finishes Dreamer off with AP to spare.

The MVP though, 100%, was Amina.  Because Ply was the strat, I got an extra FOUR Soulstones from her "Actually, Our Claims Extend..." and she was constantly pulling my enemy out of position.  BET was keeping the few Spiders I had on the board, and turn 3 she used her Sharp Wit to Slow LCB and make him only target her on his next Activation, then on the next turn Ply'd him and went Defensive so LCB did nothing (lol).  Overall, the game went great!  It was an 8-2 win for Ramos, almost exclusively because of Leviathan Power Core, Cassandra, and Amina.

• Like 1

I got another game i with Marcus this weekend. Had thr extra melee and walk, instinctual and hunger cry. Well rehearsed Cojo, pack leader Necromancy a rougarou a performer and Myranda. Also a gupp swarm. 

It was symbols and I picked punish the weak and breakthrough. Should have picked show of force because I got trigger happy and applied so much pressure my opponent barely made it out of his corner because my whole crew locked him out of the middle. Hr had McCabe with an executioner, double thralls, Queeg, Luna and a stalker.

I shifted Myranda turn one to pressure his weak flank and grab a symbol turn two. Marcus went straight into his crew debuffing them and killing a thrall before being completely slaughtered. I had punish the weak and he had a thrall and Luna left so only one point there. Forgot the rougarou couldn't use well rehearsed so messed up and had it killed early turn two without doing anyting. Forgot how well McCabe could shift stuff around so he got to my gupp before it scored anything. At the end of the game my entire crew was dead but I had locked him out almost completely so it ended in a 3-3 draw. Had there been a turn 6 he would have won comfortably with show of force and another point for symbols since Luna slipped through.

Still a great game, though.

• Like 2

Last night we had a night of Henchman Hardcore. It was my first time playing the format. It was nice for a change of pace being able to get in 4 games in less time than I typically spend playing 1 normal 50SS game.

I went 3 for 4, losing to the reigning queen of the format in my area.

The crew I ran was:

Joss (Imbued Energies, Warding Runes)

Oxfordian Mage (Blood Ward, Temporary Shielding)

Oxfordian Mage (Well Rehearsed, Temporary Shielding)

Medical Automaton

Medical Automaton was the MVP. There were at least two games that Joss was able to Reactivate and then get healed up above half. There were a few times that he pulled a model out of a flurry or charge after the first attack.

The spike damage of the crew isn’t great but it had very consistent damage output and while the Automaton is around all of the other models are very hard to take out. 

The one game I lost had the Nothing Beast killing the Automaton first while engaging both Mages with it’s 3 inch engagment range while Taelor was pounding on Joss.

• Like 3