Help with Symbols of authority - Sonnia/Perdita/Nellie?

Baratta

I have been struggling with Symbols of authority, I have used Sonnia for blasting (punish) and watcher/Dr.Grimwell to take the symbols, las game I played against Nicodem and lost badly. Scored 3 PT for punish but thays it,  I didn’t take any symbols (Kentauri/punk killed Dr.Grimwell first turn) and a Shikome stopped the watcher from interacting second turn, and then killed the watcher) So I was in the middle blasting with Frank and papa loco and he picked me apart at the end. My other scheme was Undercover which I didn’t score. At no time did I thought I could win, he scored 4pts on symbols 3pts undercover and 3pts for recover evidence. MVP was the Queller removing the printed suits which help slow the game down.

I’m playing Symbols again this Friday and this is what came up:

Symbols of Authority (Masks) / Close deployment

Punish the Weak (Paired Masks)

Set Up (Number 3)

Undercover Entourage (Number 5)

Search the Ruins (Number 8)

Recover Evidence (Number 11) 

Any suggestion as to Master or strategies? I was thinking Nellie/Perdita or give sonnia another chance.

I'll admit I struggle in symbols in general and against Nico in symbols a lot.  I truly believe that this is guilds worst strat in gg2018.  I think if you are going to be successful at it you need to threaten Nico hard first turn.  Maybe use a quick alphaing sonnia list, or a Nellie list that lets McTavish take 4 shots at him first turn.  Even if he is able to use that amazing hand to stop you, if you eat all his high cards the summons will become a lot harder.

• Like 1

Unbox LJ in his face turn 1 with the emissary? Ifshekills him continue playing, if she doesn't give your opponent the 10 - 0 and have time keft for a fun match as well. ;)

You could also roleplay the zombie apocalypse and throw the match. Life is to short to actually play games against the current Nico filth.

• Like 1

Just now, Nellit said:

Our local meta is not so competitive, what makes Nico so good right now?

Summon engine with tons of corpse markers and cards and granting positives to almost everything in the list so he will succeed on a ton of high cost summons and they will still flip well on most of their actions. Kentauroi also gave him the mobiliy he used to lack so the summons start doing worthwhile actions on the turn they comr in.

• Like 1

Close deployment?

*huggles emissary and gets the giggles until someone splashes water over her head*

Nicodem cannot deploy far enough away to avoid the touch of emissary box taxi system. Yes, terrain, I know. But you can pressure him from the start of deployment.

Normally I’d feel bad about stuffing something with companion into the box, but not in these circumstances. Since you can play Sonnia, I am guessing you don’t see the flesh construct wall Nicodem variant, so Francisco is the tool of choice, along with a way to get him into the box out of emissary’s activation.

• Like 2

I tried Nino + Family. With the symbols Ht5 blocking, my opponent used them to cut the LoS beetwen Nino and the interacting model. This was not as efficient as I hoped.

I will try again but you need family models on the opposite side of the symbol to prevent interacting there. You must deploy the symbols of authority to allow your models to have cover in these positions.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, le_wahou said:

I tried Nino + Family. With the symbols Ht5 blocking, my opponent used them to cut the LoS beetwen Nino and the interacting model. This was not as efficient as I hoped.

I will try again but you need family models on the opposite side of the symbol to prevent interacting there. You must deploy the symbols of authority to allow your models to have cover in these positions.

Nino still needs LoS to the enemy model, not the friendly one.

McMourning can hire some leaping beast and should have decent damage output if they have a lot of undead, just rancid transplabt into a clump of undead for minor splash and a great expunge (unfortunately not one of the masters specified). Between himself and a cerberus you can actually give Nico a bit of a scare turn 1 and his new 0 lets you eat a bunch of corpse markers.

21 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

Close deployment?

*huggles emissary and gets the giggles until someone splashes water over her head*

Nicodem cannot deploy far enough away to avoid the touch of emissary box taxi system. Yes, terrain, I know. But you can pressure him from the start of deployment.

Normally I’d feel bad about stuffing something with companion into the box, but not in these circumstances. Since you can play Sonnia, I am guessing you don’t see the flesh construct wall Nicodem variant, so Francisco is the tool of choice, along with a way to get him into the box out of emissary’s activation.

Don't have the emisssary, havent found it usefull. Might look into it.

McMourning can hire beasts (silurids, Scorpius) and push them up the board with injection, then use "On the orders" to make them take interacts and flip the symbols.

Nellie can also work well, but my current go to is Perdita.  Monster hunters move 6 and can cross the board quickly, will have good defenses against most of the things Nicodem summons, and she (and Abuela) can obey models into flipping markers.  I usually have Perdita and Franc and the Jury sitting back getting my Punish points, while ordering the monster hunters to flip symbols.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jchrisobrien said:

McMourning can hire beasts (silurids, Scorpius) and push them up the board with injection, then use "On the orders" to make them take interacts and flip the symbols.

Nellie can also work well, but my current go to is Perdita.  Monster hunters move 6 and can cross the board quickly, will have good defenses against most of the things Nicodem summons, and she (and Abuela) can obey models into flipping markers.  I usually have Perdita and Franc and the Jury sitting back getting my Punish points, while ordering the monster hunters to flip symbols.

Havent tried Monster Hunters as I dont want to proxy them, but I think its a good alternative.