What masters catch your eye in factions you don’t play?

WWHSD

21 hours ago, Bazlord_Prime said:

Just to play Devil's Advocate a little, what about Masters you reckon you'd never touch? Who just do nothing for you, aesthetically or otherwise?

Gremlins: Most of the Gremlin Masters and models don’t do much for me. I can’t see myself playing Sommer, Ophelia, or Ma.

Outcasts: The Viks don’t appeal to me mechanically or aesthetically. Levi’s whole creepy steamnecropedophile vibe isn’t really my bag.

Guild: I’m not a fan of guild in general but Nellie is the least interesting to me. 

Ressers: I’m not too into the rotting corpse looking models so Seamus, Nico, and Dougie are at the bottom of my list but mechanically I think all of the masters look like they could be fun.

Neverborn: All of the masters seem to have something interesting about them. I don’t think there’s any master here I wouldn’t want to try if I were to decide to commit to the faction.

Ten Thunders: I know he’s one of of the better masters in the faction but Shen Long doesn’t do anything for me.

Arcanists: I’ve already Pokemaned all the masters.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ressers: McMourning, Seamus, Molly, Niko.
Arcanists: MeiFeng, Marcus.
Neverborn: Lynch.

Just to play Devil's Advocate a little, what about Masters you reckon you'd never touch? Who just do nothing for you, aesthetically or otherwise?

Whole Guild.
Ramos, Rasputina, Sandeep.
Zoraida (as gremlin player i hate her allegiance to gremlins 😠).
Leveticus, Jack Daw and all that guro stuff like Yin (its realy disgusting).

On 5/1/2018 at 4:30 PM, LunarSol said:

Gremlins - Zipp.  Sky Pirate is strictly better than any other character trait.

This is true. :D

On 5/5/2018 at 8:49 PM, Bazlord_Prime said:

Nearly all the Neverborn (I make my peace with Lynch and Lucius). I tried out Dreamer once—once—to try to find a vulnerability in his kit, and got so enraged at how easily he could do what support he needed to do that I very nearly quit Malifaux. Incessant ping damage. Terrain damage, often while ignoring terrain. Killed off the armor-ignoring model, oh no, the armor ignoring upgrade only moved over there. Drawing cards for walking, for hitting, for merely existing. And after all that, cheating initiative as standard, which...again, after all else...I’m barely fussed about.

To set aside the mask of the Malifaux child, I’m actively glad the little mechromancer went to Outcasts instead. To play pariah is revolting and mined with pitfalls, but not intolerable. I don’t mind the necromancy.

In my own faction...that was...the original trio don’t interest me. Makes it difficult to talk to new Guildies, sometimes. In what I suppose is my faction now, I also have no interest in melee ladies or gunslingers.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I play the more masters outside my two factions (Ress/OC) I like.

The Arcanists - with exception of that particular faction... they just don't click with me, for a reason I don't really know. Maybe Ironsides...

The Guild - not so much masters as other models (especially from the last two waves) make me want to play the Guilt. Jury, Investigators, Domadores, Monster Hunters, Quellers - great sculpts and strong mechanics. Among masters, Nellie is certainly the number one on my radar. Lady J has cool theme and nicely sculpted mini, but seems a bit one-dimensional to play. Lucius has both strong personality and interesting mechanics - and he allows for cross-faction hiring which I like very much.

Ten Thunders - Shenlong is extremely interesting to play, but I would never dare to compete with my brother in mastering Shen's mysterious martial arts. Asami seems interesting and not overwhelmingly strong, despite she summons out of nowhere - I would like to give her a try. Lynch has probably the coolest theme in the game.

The Neverborn - definitely the coolest faction, I could hardly name a master which does not appeal to my taste visually, maybe except Collodi and Lilith. If I were to play Neverborn, Pandora and Zoraida would be my first choices. I would like to buy Dreamer's box only to paint it and look at it all day long.

Gremlins - Wong seems to be a cheap introduction into the faction, as everything you need beside his box for semi-competitive play is McTavish and Swinecursed. Zipp is extremely strong and interesting to play and Mah has one of the coolest sculpts in the faction full of hilarious miniatures - that's something!

Masters I don't like:

The Arcanists - well, see above.

The Guild - Hoffman, because I don't like robots (no offence, stompybots lovers!).

Ten Thunders - Brewmaster. Also Yan Lo, one of my favourite masters in Ressers. Not sure how to make him work in Thunders.

The Neverborn - none.

Gremlins - Brewmaster and Ophelia, who seems predictable.

as for masters i'd like to play there mostly ressers atm i'm mostly an arcanists but a beast heavy mcmorning build, either a showgirl or heavy terror inducing sheamus build, a Tara burying slingshot guild and a Reva flaming death pony build all seem fun for me! sadly i hardly get enough play from my arcanist models to make buying a 2nd faction worth while

• 1 month later...

With Lady J, Perdita, McMourning and Seamus in my collection, I’m now looking for the next project :

Outcast : Viks - chicks with katanas are just cool.

Neverborn : Pandora and Dreamer, as there really is nothing creepier than kids.

Ressers : Nicodem and his zombies - I mean zombies.

Gremlins : nah

Arcanists : nope

Ten Thunders : Misako

Since the last time I posted here, I have bought and built a swampy Neverborn Zoraida crew (hope to get in a game with her tomorrow). Still very seriously eyeing the Lynch on the shelf at my LGS. 

As for things I don't have an interest in, I would be ok trying just about everything in the game, but...

Arcanist - My main faction and I will have all of them soon I'm sure, but Mei speaks to me the least. Then again, so did Ironsides but after learning how she plays, I have had a complete reversal of opinion

Outcast - None really, I suppose the Viks are bottom of the list, but not out of the running

Neverborn - On the fence about Lilith, but not strongly opposed

Gremlins - As a faction they are just kinda meh to me. Not really any interest in anything, except maybe Brewmaster (if nothing to play with whiskey gamin, still salty about them not being summonable gamin)

Guild - Due to a fierce loyalty to the Union, the only reasons I can see myself playing anything Guild is playing Lucius in Neverborn with some guild models, PoI Levi with fun constructs, or if Hoffman becomes a dual-Arcanist

Ressers - Another faction where nothing looks particularly bad, just nothing so interesting I have bought it yet

Thunders - As with Gremlins, as a faction, meh. That said, the dual factions with stuff I play (Mei, Misaki, Lynch) as well as Yan Lo and Asami look fun (I just want Jorogumo). Shen has to be bottom of the list there

I have been playing Neverborn Zoraida exclusively for past three years (I am a filthy casual though - one game every one and a half months on average I would say) and every new year of Malifaux league I think about starting new master or even faction, but then I remember that if I try hard enough I am capable of painting a single miniature a month. That is if I try hard enough 😐
Over those three years I realized that I enjoy painting the minitaures much more than playing the game so If I were to choose a new master now I would choose one that is preferably straight forward to play but mainly who's crew box and thematic models excite me as a painter. The problem is that with each miniature I paint my excitement shifts. One moment I am sure that I would like to paint models that are colourful and that I would never start Resurrectionists and then, after painting a colourful model, I realize that painting Resurrectionists would be fun, because it would be challenging. Then I realize that it would be great to paint a robot or two to properly learn NMM and so on and so on.
#LifeWithWp2 😃
And there is also something tempting about starting a master that doesn't share any models that I already have. To slowly finish their Crew Box (start now so it would be ready for next year's league), buy a Box Set, finish it, buy another one... I have like 9 unpainted models - I know, that's nothing compared to boxes or even cabinets of other people 😃 - but I find it quite demoralizing. Somehow it suck the enthusiasm out of the whole thing.

But to answer the question - every two weeks a different one 🤪 Currently the following ones 😊

Resurrectionists - Seamus or Reva
Outcasts - Hamelin
Guild - Lucius
Neverborn - Jakob Lynch or Collodi
Arcanists - Marcus

If I were in a more active meta and could get games regularly; a fantasy

Anyway, I'd love a fixed crew Yan Lo. Probably 10T but I don't know either faction very well so it would take some figuring out. He caught my eye shortly after I started the game and I've never shaken the feeling I could do something with him. Anyway, he counts for both factions then.

Gremlins are filthy creatures that I'll have nothing to do with, but I do love Big Trouble in Little China. So, Wong.

Neverborn? Lilith. I already like using Lady J and Misaki as hit-and-run skirmishers. Why not run the master that is actually designed for that?

As for masters that don't interest me in factions that I play...

Viks for Outcasts. Boring to win with, boring to lose with. Like Lady J/Misaki but even more one dimensional.

Guild isn't a master. It's Frank, Peacekeeper, Monster Hunters, etc. The optimal killy list is just dull and I hate it. Give me guardsmen and Marshals and Lawyers and Journalists please.

Arcanists? Probably Marcus just because I don't like beasts thematically. I'll be sticking with the Union for that faction (okay, but Colette counts as Union).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2018 at 8:41 PM, WWHSD said:

Levi’s whole creepy steamnecropedophile vibe isn’t really my bag.

THANKS YOU VERY MUCH, because you put words to my thinking about him.

The ones I would like to have are Lady J and Perdita. 

I started Malifaux because of Steampunk, not creepy monster nor black gothic necrotic lolitas. I like humans and steam constructs, so I started with the Steampunk soldiers of the Freikorps, but I have been more and more used to the Malifaux style (I really hated the grotesque looking of Leveticus's Crew, Seamus's Crew, Howard Langston or even the Nurses of McMourning). 

Guild: I like Perdita, but absolutely if in my local shop would have had the Hoffman's Crew, now I would be a Guild player. The less interesting guild crew for me is Lucas McCabe, simply don't find anything that fit with me in him. 

Arcanists: Although I really like both Mei Feng and Ramos, my top Arcanist master is no doubt Ironsides. An street fighter brawler leading a gang of academics mages? Deal. Probably the less interesting Arcanis Master for me is Collette, but I really hate Marcus xD. 

Neverborn: Here I find hard to choose between Dreamer and Collodi, probably the last one. But the one I'd never play is Pandora. I even don't understand that master. 

Resurrectionist: Is a faction I'm really not interested, the Masters I like more are Molly and Kirai, for their fluff of being almost the most "good" masters in game, but I like also Reva and Yan Lo. The one I like the less is Seamus. 

Ten Thunder: along with Misaki (from my faction) and Mei Feng, my favorite master is Shenlong. I've always love the martial arts, and a Shaolin monk is one of my favorite options here. The less interesting master here is, again, Lucas McCabe. 

Gremlins: The king of the Bayou, no doubts. Always with Can'o'Beans. I cannot say about the worst master for me, I like everyone. 

Ressers are my main but my gremlins are close behind. I have an old metal pandora crew I’d like to try and Collodi really interests me. Always wanted to play Sonnia but no other masters in guild interest me and I prefer at least two masters in a faction. I have a Ramos crew but again I can decide on a second master in the faction. I have no real interest in any of outcasts masters. Ten thunders I believe I am about to become the owner of a nice painted collection with Shen long and Asami as the masters.

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late to the party, but I started playing without any knowledge of the rules or fluff what so ever. I got a Tara box for free with a couple of other models. After getting more into the game I realized I liked Neverborn better so bought into that. But then I wanted to play my Tara crew so I needes something more for Outcasts as a faction and got Viks. Now I just recently got Lucius and been looking at Guild. I really like Lady J. and Hoffman, so I just might slip further into the pit here...

• Haha 2

I play mostly Outcast (Catelin and Viks), but

Outcast: Von Schill

Ten Thunders: Misaki

Neverborn: Collodi

Arcanist: Rasputina (especially winter wonderland set) and Colette

Guild: Perdita and Lady J

Resurrectionists: Seamus and Karai

Gremlins: Ulix (specifically the Pixie Farts nightmare set)

• 4 weeks later...

So so many masters I want to collect and play. I love all the options and feels available from most factions

have Dita, Seamus, Justice, Sonia, Ulix

Want

Gremlins: Ophelia, Somer, Mah, Wong, Brewmaster

Outcasts: Viks

Neverborn: maybe Lillith/nekima, maybe dreamer

Thunders and Arcanists just dont do it for me. i dont understand why either as they are beautiful minis and have great backgrounds. I just dont dig em

• 5 weeks later...