Friendly Duels and TN/suits

SerZaka

Question

Hi :) I have a question about the paragraph "Attacking Friendly Models" p.33

the paragraph says : Before any cards are flipped , the Defending model may choose to relent. When this happens, the Attacker flips as normal, and the Defender flips no cards, it is instead assumed that the Defender tied the Attacker's final duel total, without any suits.

and now the example :

my Oiran uses Lure (Ca 8, TN 12, Crows required in the flipped card) against my Shang , before flipping the card Shang chooses to relent (it will tie the duel ).

the Oiran flips a 13 of Masks , total 21 (13+8) so Shang score a 21 as well but the Oiran needs the Crows.

but now I must cheat with a 13 of Crows to win isn't right? Because the total of Shang remains so if I cheat only a 4 of Crows (for the TN) I will have only a total of 12 , not enough to win against the previous total.

thank you :)

1 answer to this question

The important wording is that "it is instead assumed that the Defender tied the Attacker's final duel total, without any suits" - your final duel total is after cheating, so if you were to cheat with a four of crows, Shang's duel total would be considered to be 12, and the action would be successful.