Defend Me damage source.

WWHSD

Question

12 answers to this question

The original attack is the thing dealing the damage. I would say that you use modifiers on the new target (Included to say there must be line of sight I guess) such as hard to wound and so forth to effect the damage flip, although the accuracy modifier is determined by the Flip against Marcus

2 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Just to clarify. Are the following two correct?

1. You play Marcus. Lilith attacks Marcus. You declare the defensive trigger and Lilith's attack kills your sucker. You score Take one for the team.

2. You play Marcus. Lilith attacks Marcus. You declare the defensive trigger and Lilith's attack kills the opponent's sucker (e.g. a waldgeist standing next to Marcus). The opponent does not score Take one for the team.

Sound right. in both cases Lilith was the model to kill the sucker. So you score for her killing your sucker and she doesn't score for killing her own sucker

9 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

If Marcus uses his Defend Me trigger to cause a nearby Beast to suffer the effects of an attack is it the original attack or Defend Me that is considered to be the source of damage to the Beast?

I've always played it like the original attack does the damage because it says "target beast within 3'' suffers the effects of the attack", but I admit the wording could be better. In particular, the word "target" before "beast" confuses me.

7 minutes ago, Adran said:

I would assume it counts. Can't see why it wouldn't. Burt and Trixie have been pulling that stunt for years

Just to clarify. Are the following two correct?

1. You play Marcus. Lilith attacks Marcus. You declare the defensive trigger and Lilith's attack kills your sucker. You score Take one for the team.

2. You play Marcus. Lilith attacks Marcus. You declare the defensive trigger and Lilith's attack kills the opponent's sucker (e.g. a waldgeist standing next to Marcus). The opponent does not score Take one for the team.

12 minutes ago, Adran said:

I would assume it counts. Can't see why it wouldn't. Burt and Trixie have been pulling that stunt for years

Look at FAQ for Safe in my bed. 

Burt and Trixe’s abilities both cause the target for the model to change. Defend Me doesn’t.

It looks like the FAQs on Safe In My Bed should apply to Defend Me but I’m not seeing anything that deals with whether Safe In My Bed or the original attack action counts as the source of damage. Did I miss something?

2 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

Burt and Trixe’s abilities both cause the target for the model to change. Defend Me doesn’t.

It looks like the FAQs on Safe In My Bed should apply to Defend Me but I’m not seeing anything that deals with whether Safe In My Bed or the original attack action counts as the source of damage. Did I miss something?

this was the FAQ I particually meant

How does the timing for the Safe In My Bed Trigger work? When does The Dreamer discard his card,
is it before or after determining damage? Will defensive Abilities such as Impossible To Wound come
into play for the Nightmare which suffers the effects?
The card is discarded after determining that The Dreamer lost the duel but before determining any damage.
Safe In My Bed does not use any of the keywords which have a specific timing in the book, so it must be
applied when it says, which is “after an Attack Action succeeds against this model,” so immediately after
the duel, but before determining damage. If the new target has any defensive Abilities such as Impossible to
Wound or Armor, apply them as normal. However, things which happen when determining a target, such as
Terrifying, will not come into play.

But this also helps

The Dreamer’s Safe In My Bed Trigger allows a Nightmare to suffer the effects of an Attack Action as
if it had been the target. Does the Nightmare need to be a valid target of the Attack? Does the Dreamer
still suffer the effects of the Attack? How does this work with Attack Triggers that cause more Actions
such as Onslaught?
The Dreamer will not suffer the effects as the Nightmare is doing so instead. The Nightmare does not need
to be a valid target of the Attack. If the Attack Triggers additional Attacks which must be made “against
the same target” (such as with Onslaught) then the Nightmare will be the target of those Attacks. If the
Nightmare is not a valid target for additional Attacks, they may not be made.

25 minutes ago, Adran said:

The original attack is the thing dealing the damage. I would say that you use modifiers on the new target (Included to say there must be line of sight I guess) such as hard to wound and so forth to effect the damage flip, although the accuracy modifier is determined by the Flip against Marcus

Would you not work out damage before passing off the attack? Defend me is after the enemy succeeds the beast suffers the effects of the attack, not the beast becomes the new target. Also after succeeding is after step 5, where you work out the results.

1 minute ago, Durza said:

Would you not work out damage before passing off the attack? Defend me is after the enemy succeeds the beast suffers the effects of the attack, not the beast becomes the new target. Also after succeeding is after step 5, where you work out the results.

Because the wording is so close to safe in my bed (Different to prevent the loophole of easy attacks) I would say eveything in the FAQ I quoted above should stand