TtB on a Grid, People's Experiences using minis

Fancy_Hat

I have done combat both with a map and without.  Personally I kind of like it without the map but my players are long time wargamers so they seem to prefer a map unless it is a minor scrap.

My issue with a square map *Have used a them and used a non marked map too* is generally you have to define how the diagonals work.  You can tend to cover a pretty hefty distance by going diagonal at a target unless you set some sort of rule *Like it cost two move for the odd diagonals and one for even ones*.  You can also get more models around a single model.  Also there came the issue of base size.  Yes you could have everyone be the same space in a square or have 50mm cover 4 spaces, but I found some problems with terrain then or LOS *If everyone is a single square all it took was one guy to block LOS*.  Also there was a few issues with Long arms able to get some serious ranges, there was a model I had to have off the map for the range he was shooting *Only like 5" further but still*.  That said it does help your players keep track of which models are wounded as you can put a dice next to them counting up.

It will really come down to the Fatemaster and your group what you want to do.  You might even find a mix of narrative combat and map combat works for you.

I've used a square grind map.   Having a map makes it easier to know where everyone is supposed to be.  Avoids situations like, "but I thought you were over by the bar!?"  I don't follow the grid as strictly as D&D or pathfinder.  It's just there for rough estimates of distance.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/9/2018 at 12:25 AM, Le gob said:

We use a square map. The thing is that if you don't use miniatures, movement abilities and range become irrelevent, as is hard to keep track of how far apart characters are.

Agreed. I've found that using the map allows you to place & device bits of cover as well, and then the players can go off and plan their tactics using their own brains (using all of their relevant skills), meaning that I don't have to try to mentally keep tabs on how far everyone is from everyone else, where pieces of cover might be, etc. I've got enough to worry about just trying to remember the FM character's abilities!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I find that one of the best things a DM or FM can do is be consistent with rules. Maps allow for this to happen, especially when players choose feats or weapons that are ranged, movement, or reach dependent. It's not fair to the player who spent a talent increasing their speed if the distance between the combatants aren't being tracked. On top of that, I feel having a map forces them to be more involved and tactical in their decision making, which really forces teamwork and character synergy.

A run action (2x Walk + ranks in Athletics) can range from 8 yards to 17 yards.

A Rifle can easily shoot 30 yards+.

Some abilities have up to and beyond a 6 yard radius aura.

A min/maxed Scrapper at early steps can easily Charge 10 yards and have a 3 yard melee range.

To keep all this information and it's variables consistent, I need a grid.

• Agree 1

With so many things having precise ranges and the rules in general being so 'wargamey', I definitely find it beneficial to use a map and miniatures. 

I mainly only use my grid map (squares for indoors; hexes for outdoors) for setting up the surroundings; and we use a tape measure for actual range measurement to avoid diagonal movement ambiguity and related kinds of issue. 

• 1 month later...

I tend to skip the map unless there's a big/complex fight. For minor incidental fights, I just let my players say what they want to do and keep track in my mind. None of my players are wargamers, but they all find it way too hard to keep track of a big fight if they're just trying to imagine it. I draw my maps out on graph paper, and I'm generally pretty fast and loose with ranges and such, but laying out where everything is helps everyone, I find.