Reva Advice (vs Levi)

Hello! My name is snow and I’m new to these forums so please don’t yell at me if I put this in the wrong place!!!!

————————————————

I’ve played friendly games of malifaux for about 9 months now as Reva, but I only had gremlins players to play against. I won most of my games cuz the gremlins would blow themselves up to do damage/heal others and leave me with some nice corpse markers to target them :)

More recently my girlfriend started to show up and hang out during the games so we taught her how to play and let her join in a few. After a game or two she decided to get a box set, salvage and logistics specifically.

She played a few games against the other players and we finally got a chance to play against each other (starter box on starter box to make it a little more fair since that’s all she has)  and she, understandably, defeated me in a soul-crushing 8-1 victory.

I don’t particularly care that I lost (the game is about the fun!) but it does bother me a little that I couldn’t even put up a fight. 

I did a little research and the only tactic I can find is targeting the waifs, which is hard to do when they’r hiding very far away from my corpse candles.

Is there something I’m missing that would help me fight back a little better?

Any help is appreciated :)

Rotten belles would be a great help. Luring either the waifs or the anchors into firing/pummelling range.

Or start with Vincent from the shadows using his upgrade. Maybe use Bete Noir or killjoy to get into his crew and cause some mayhem.

• Thanks 1

Assuming you're strictly playing box to box...

The limiting factor on the waifs hiding "very far away" is that they also have to be within 6" of Rusty Alice to actually serve as anchors.  That means Rusty and the Waifs will be sort of milling around in a loose ball while Levi strikes out at your crew.

The long and the short of it is that Levi has 3 "lives" you need to burn through.  If the goal is murder everything (and it's Reva, so it often is), you either need to kill Waifs (easy targets, harder to get to though) or else kill Levi before he activates (thus denying him the turn, and costing him a waif to pop up again).

The good news is that your crew is relatively durable into the face of Levi.  The shield bearers should take 3-4 unmakings to take down, thanks to their weird defensive system, and Reva can keep blasting away.

Related:  Leviticus got an errata about a year ago...  are you playing with those rules?  Your girlfriend's Levi card should have 1 cache.  If not, head for the errata page and download a fresh copy to print.

https://www.wyrd-games.net/outcasts-errata/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, feagaur said:

Rotten belles would be a great help. Luring either the waifs or the anchors into firing/pummelling range.

Or start with Vincent from the shadows using his upgrade. Maybe use Bete Noir or killjoy to get into his crew and cause some mayhem.

Unfortunately we’re using box to box, but I hadn’t thought of giving Vincent from the shadows! The extra offense is definitely worth a lower soulstone pool

1 hour ago, Clement said:

Assuming you're strictly playing box to box...

The limiting factor on the waifs hiding "very far away" is that they also have to be within 6" of Rusty Alice to actually serve as anchors.  That means Rusty and the Waifs will be sort of milling around in a loose ball while Levi strikes out at your crew.

The long and the short of it is that Levi has 3 "lives" you need to burn through.  If the goal is murder everything (and it's Reva, so it often is), you either need to kill Waifs (easy targets, harder to get to though) or else kill Levi before he activates (thus denying him the turn, and costing him a waif to pop up again).

The good news is that your crew is relatively durable into the face of Levi.  The shield bearers should take 3-4 unmakings to take down, thanks to their weird defensive system, and Reva can keep blasting away.

Related:  Leviticus got an errata about a year ago...  are you playing with those rules?  Your girlfriend's Levi card should have 1 cache.  If not, head for the errata page and download a fresh copy to print.

https://www.wyrd-games.net/outcasts-errata/

We are using the errata (thank god) but that’s a good point. If I can take out Levi early Maybe U can Stone to give fast to the shieldbearers and then walk+charge into Alyce to end the anchoring quickly? 

12 minutes ago, aquenaton said:

Even if you play "box to box", make shure you are playing at the same ss for both sides. Are you playing for the strats and schemes? which ones? some times, a powerful combo can obliterate some models, but if the strategy needs to do something else, maybe it is just a distraction.

We’ve been playing 35ss box to box in our group, and we do Olay strategies and schemes but unfortunately make them suffer was in the pool which Levi definitely liked

46 minutes ago, Snowhateswinter said:

We are using the errata (thank god) but that’s a good point. If I can take out Levi early Maybe U can Stone to give fast to the shieldbearers and then walk+charge into Alyce to end the anchoring quickly? 

That won’t work very well. Shieldbearers only look like they have 3” reach. One will charge, stop at the edge of Alyce’s no-charge aura (3”), not be able to reach Alyce or stop her from shooting, and lose the charge attacks.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

That won’t work very well. Shieldbearers only look like they have 3” reach. One will charge, stop at the edge of Alyce’s no-charge aura (3”), not be able to reach Alyce or stop her from shooting, and lose the charge attacks.

I don't think you can declare a charge like that, though your point still stands that in the end she's not a viable charge target.

Back on topic though, if a Shield bearer can double walk up to Rusty Alice and belt her, you're in a good way.  Ideally she's down to punching (which still hurts but is slightly less scary) and you increase your odds of getting a corpse marker in there to really go to town.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Clement said:

I don't think you can declare a charge like that, though your point still stands that in the end she's not a viable charge target.

Back on topic though, if a Shield bearer can double walk up to Rusty Alice and belt her, you're in a good way.  Ideally she's down to punching (which still hurts but is slightly less scary) and you increase your odds of getting a corpse marker in there to really go to town.

Especially with that nice 2/3/5 damage track... if I can get all three in and attack I could knock her Alyce down pretty fast

Levi is pretty weak if you can only use his starter box. Kill alyce and he can not ever come back. Reva is probably pretty good at reaching Alyce and puting the hurt on her. 

Also moving her away from the waifs will be enough to stop Levi from returning.  

I can't understand how his models were able to hide from yours, yet Levi was able to get back into the fight to kill for make them suffer every turn. You can place the coprse candle over an area of the board that is a circle about 18" across. That is about 1/5th of the board. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1