Vogel: How are you finding him so far?

WWHSD

I played my first game with Vogel last night. I ended up not getting an opportunity to use Censure because I needed Vogel to either be moving one of my other models around or turning into The Beast to kill something. Between Practiced Production and some spare AP on various models in turns one and two, I was able to lay down some scheme markers that’s got him card from walking which was nice. 

Vogels lack of defenses didn’t come into play because my opponent had other targets he was going after and I tended to keep Vogel in a spot that was protected from charges. The one time he did get attacked a Nurse Paralyzed him. Unless we played it wrong, Vogel was able to pitch a card to transform to get around the Paralyze condition. 

I was playing him in an Ironsides crew so there wasn’t much competition for the masks in my control hand. I think that I ended up with at least one card that was a 6 of masks or higher each turn which always gave me the option of pushing a model and letting it attack. In a Marcus or Sandeep crew where there’s more competition for masks it would have been more difficult to use his ability. I was planning on having him shove Ironsides around and let her either heal a bit out of her activation or turn that 1AP into a few attacks by burning Adreniline. Unfortunately, Ironsides spent turns 3-5 being Paralyzed so I wasn’t able to make that happen.

Overall, he felt like he was worth his 8 points without being too good for that price. The need to discard to shift seems like balances his flexibility. I had other models in my crew that wanted to discard (Mages, Amina, Steamfitter) and was usually holding off activating Vogel until later in the turn so having to ditch a card usually ended up being something I really had to consider.

It seems like he was filling a niche similar to what The Captain does by being able to reposition my models or acting as a melee beater. Neither model has much in the way of defensive abilities. My impression will probably change once I’ve gotten in a few games where masks are less plentiful and I am able to get some use out of Censure.

Has anyone else had a chance to will Vogel yet? How have you found him so far?

• 2 weeks later...

I totally forgot to update my post on here. lol.  Sorry about that. 

I was only able to get one game in with Vogel on Tuesday (my other game I played Sandeep and switched Sloth in for Vogel - works amazingly btw).  It was a Ply for info game with my Dancing Sabre build Colette crew that I played vs Seamus and his new upgrades. The highlights of the game with Vogel included drawing some cards with all the scheme markers around, throwing Censure on Chiaki (no slow or making insignificant unless discarding cards), the Beast destroyed a Shikome but then got lured in by three Belle's for Public Demo (Beast is an Enforcer), and just generally being a nuisance with Censure when he switched back to Vogel.  It sucked being pulled in by the Belle's because it was so close to a building that I could switch to Vogel but then my opponent wouldn't leave space for me to switch back to the Beast with some good positioning.  Although my opponent did pump a lot of AP into attacking the Beast and when I switched back to Vogel, it basically made all his attacks a moot point. I had meant to summon/hire a Dove to have the Beast attack with the trigger to drop 3 Scrap Markers from killing the Dove (it is a construct!) but the cards were not in my favor for the game. It could've been 3 easy armor from the Steamfitter but yea, didn't happen (was the theme of the game for me except for when Vogel/Beast was doing things).  

Vogel is strong but you have to worry about his positioning and the fact that he can get focused down if you let him.  He's a fun model that is all about doing the perfect balancing act - making sure you get the most from him while making sure to keep him alive.  I personally think he's a great addition to the Arcanists who have needed the card draw and control actions but can switch to a beater when needed.  I think he'll be in a lot of top crews in the future. 

The game ended in a narrow draw of 7-7 with me remembering that I had a point for surround them in my own corner.  The amount of slow and control that the crew has is impressive, especially with Vogel now added to the mix, but those new Seamus upgrades... wow... pulsing for horror duels on top of a -2 WP is strong!

• Like 3

On 4/12/2018 at 8:18 AM, KingCrow said:

I had meant to summon/hire a Dove to have the Beast attack with the trigger to drop 3 Scrap Markers from killing the Dove (it is a construct!)

The 3 scrap trick works only if the model has armor, not just because it is a construct. Unless you used the steamfitter to give the dove armor in the first place, which seems like too much effort

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cbtb11235813 said:

The 3 scrap trick works only if the model has armor, not just because it is a construct. Unless you used the steamfitter to give the dove armor in the first place, which seems like too much effort

Thank you for pointing that out! My mind must've totally passed over that important part. lol.