Outcast Misaki: What do you bring?

Davos

So I'm thinking of getting Alt-Misaki in the Easter Sale, what other models would you run with her in an Outcast build?  Obviously Marlena Webster, I'm thinking a Freikrops Librarian (to heal Webster and provide a no-go Furious Casting circle).  Beyond them, which models?  Upgrades on Misaki are Survivalist, Risk & reward, and Storm.

This is all pretty much theory-craft, but I have about 2 months until my next real big events and want to build something unique to try and catch people by surprise

I have been running this lately:

Misaki: survivalist, stalking bisento
Shang
Yamaziko: scramble
Bishop (or taelor): scramble
Sue: return fire
Johana: scramble (will replace with marlena when I get her)
Hodgepodge effigy
Oiran

also once have marlena I may replace yamaziko with a librarian for some heals

3 hours ago, katadder said:

I have been running this lately:

Misaki: survivalist, stalking bisento
Shang
Yamaziko: scramble
Bishop (or taelor): scramble
Sue: return fire
Johana: scramble (will replace with marlena when I get her)
Hodgepodge effigy
Oiran

also once have marlena I may replace yamaziko with a librarian for some heals

Why Bisento instead of Storm?  (I don't know what Bisento does) And do you find that Bishop/Taelor do work for you, with them being so slow?

3 minutes ago, Davos said:

Why Bisento instead of Storm?  (I don't know what Bisento does) And do you find that Bishop/Taelor do work for you, with them being so slow?

Why is Bishop slow? He has a natural move of 12" a turn , the ability to charge something 12" away, and Scramble is even more powerful on him than other models. If he lost Swift but had walk/charge stats of 6/11 he would not be called slow. 

He might look slow, but I don't think he is slow when you put him on the table. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adran said:

Why is Bishop slow? He has a natural move of 12" a turn , the ability to charge something 12" away, and Scramble is even more powerful on him than other models. If he lost Swift but had walk/charge stats of 6/11 he would not be called slow. 

He might look slow, but I don't think he is slow when you put him on the table. 

I haven't seen/used him a ton, not a huge fan of Walk 4, though you're right, the Swift makes him really versatile and Scramble is wonderful 

I like bisento for the + to attack and damage plus possible free moves (with this in a misaki off against thunder misaki with storm my misaki won). plus everyone expects storm misaki.

bishop walk 5 with 3 actions is not slow and also increases his charge range so is great. taelor isnt too bad either and with an increased threat range has to be worried about (although use bishop more in this list than taelor, she goes in my levi list and rides a kentauroi)

I run

The storm

Survivalist

and Risk and Reward

Shang

Ziko with

Scramble

Smoke and shadows

Hodgepodge  Emmasary

Conflux of Thunder (because  8 inches of Push with scheme markers to boot is awesome) 

Jorogumo or Wokou Raider

Hodgepodge Effigy 

Oiran 

and then I have some flex from there I like Sue, Big Jake and a Trapper or Hans 

I've always preferred a Discard-focused playstyle with Misaki to get maximum use out of that Assassination trigger (also because it's really fun to empty your opponent's hand ;) ). I've played 10-T Misaki alot more than her Outcast version. But when I have gone Outcast, my top picks have generally been Convict Gunslingers and Montressor. The former provides threat range and is great for encouraging your opponent to cheat (unless they actually like receiving Slow or extra Trigger Happy shots) while Montressor provides both push effects and plenty of simple duels to drain that hand.

After that I'm less consistent about what I've taken. Yamaziko is a bargain of course, and Desperate Mercs would probably be my scheme runners of choice (plus there's a bunch of henchmen in the crew they can give soulstones to). I'd like to Try Hans at some point but I've yet to fit him in. Beyond that, Wokou Raiders and Hodgepodge Effigy are pretty great. If you're not taking Shang then the Malifaux Child could be good for an early push via Downburst. 

As an aside, I did once try an anti-charge Misaki crew (ie. Alyce, Ronin and Desperate Mercs), which was pretty darn fun. :D

On 28.3.2018 at 4:43 PM, Davos said:

Storm can be a real Tax to your hand.
Getting storm to work actually requires some setup of card Draw or a lot of Luck.
And Outcast got access to Wokou-Raiders that scale better with Bisento than storm.

• Like 1

You could try the new engineer. He can give her a ram for two rounds, which will allow her to consistently get the Thunder attack off of the downburst. I'm not sure that is worth it, but it is kind of interesting. I think most of the time I would rather charge, but there probably are occasions where the pushes can really help. 

4 minutes ago, Trample said:

You could try the new engineer. He can give her a ram for two rounds, which will allow her to consistently get the Thunder attack off of the downburst. I'm not sure that is worth it, but it is kind of interesting. I think most of the time I would rather charge, but there probably are occasions where the pushes can really help. 

Sadly Misaki isn't a legal target for Engineer (0) action as she isn't construct or doesn't have armor.

I'm still having trouble figuring out what's Misaki's actual role in the faction.

Her damage output is negligible, she has about zero synergy with any crew, she's only moderately survivable, so... what am I not getting?

Viks are scary, Levi is reliable, Parker is tanky, Hamelin is Hamelin, Tara is synergistic...

What's Misaki's thing?

13 hours ago, Seadhna said:

I'm still having trouble figuring out what's Misaki's actual role in the faction.

Her damage output is negligible, she has about zero synergy with any crew, she's only moderately survivable, so... what am I not getting?

Viks are scary, Levi is reliable, Parker is tanky, Hamelin is Hamelin, Tara is synergistic...

What's Misaki's thing?

whilst her damage isnt on the viks level she is a threat and now with survivalist and marlena webster she can survive much longer than the viks can whilst in the middle of the enemy crew. also opponents tend to hang onto cards just in case of assassination etc or I have used her to charge in and threaten a summoner removing all his cards through assassination triggers.

shes quite useful, just have to figure her out and try things with her to see what works for you

17 minutes ago, katadder said:

whilst her damage isnt on the viks level she is a threat and now with survivalist and marlena webster she can survive much longer than the viks can whilst in the middle of the enemy crew. also opponents tend to hang onto cards just in case of assassination etc or I have used her to charge in and threaten a summoner removing all his cards through assassination triggers.

shes quite useful, just have to figure her out and try things with her to see what works for you

So, her thing is basically "here's a threat that I might assassinate a model a turn, if the stars are right, probably"

nah, not my cup of tea

back when Storm ignored damage reduction she was a good pick against swarms and summoners, but even that was taken from her, sadly.

• Like 1

She is still probably the second best blaster in the game. Sonnia is blasting at a cast 9 (often on + flips) and can cheat severe with 5 triple blast (that can start 2" away). She needs Papa Loco to be able to cheat consistently and 2 cards to get to cast 9. Misaki isn't that good, but isn't so far behind either. She's at a 7 with the same damage spread as Sonnia and one less blast, but she can put those two blasts a lot of different places, probably hitting as many secondary targets as Sonnia could. Misaki can cheat easily with the upgrade, so she can very consistently charge and hit 3 severe (picking the right target of course like a low defense htk or high armor target) and get 18 (3x3x2) blast damage out there - 9 on two separate targets. That can be a pretty phenomenal round. Mind you, all of that is easier in TT with pushes and recalled training. 

• Like 1

I find that she is less of a killing machine and more of a denier of you opponent getting points. She is the most mobile master in the faction, her upgrade for the Emissary makes him super mobile, Ziko is very Mobile even more so with Scramble, Smoke and Shadows = more mobility.  She is a scalpel for taking out the mid SS cost models and finishing off the big beaters. I love her in Ours and Ply. 

18 hours ago, Seadhna said:

So, her thing is basically "here's a threat that I might assassinate a model a turn, if the stars are right, probably"

nah, not my cup of tea

back when Storm ignored damage reduction she was a good pick against swarms and summoners, but even that was taken from her, sadly.

You get assassinate quite easily tbh.

Also apart from arcanist swarms and summoners she is still good as those are usually the only ones with armour and you don't run her into arcanist anyway as armour is bad for any misaki.  If you want storm misaki she is still regularly putting out 15 damage plus 3 lots of blasts which is generally 11 damage plus (depending on enemy grouping) per attack.

Personally I don't use storm misaki anyway and do quite well with her in outcasts. She is good at not being tied down being able to charge and easily push away allowing easy undercover entourage or getting to enemy zone for marker placement then coming back to the fight 

She's a combination of survivability, mobility and hitting power you don't get in any other master even if she isn't the best at any one of those things in outcasts.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

My core at the moment:

50 SS Outcasts Crew
Misaki
 - The Storm (1)
 - Survivalist (1)
 - Risk and Reward (1)
Anna Lovelace (10)
Marlena Webster (8)
Desperate Mercenary (3)
Desperate Mercenary / shang (3)

That leaves 23 SS to play around with. I usually settle for a cache of 4ss.  

Webster is gold for her. Just fantastic. The threat of alpha striking with Websters buff demands respect. All of the other actions and abilities will provide something in every game. 

Anna can shoot into melee, summon, and disrupt with her auras. With shang the crew gets double rush of magic, which is never a bad thing. 

Other models in the pool are Sue, Johan, Yamaziko, Effigy, Ashes and dust, Vanessa, Lazarus, and Hannah. 

Misaki will attack often non-SS users and either kill them with assassinate or blast imporant models off them. Target selection is vital.