Rank the TT starters

D6Damager

Which TT starter box for new players or to demo with?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Mei and Lynch set players up well (Lynch being a bit less complicated than Mei). 

Yanny, Shen, Brewie and McCabe are weak because their box models are no good (and they're not simple to play either). 

Misaki should do fine honestly, and Asami could probably do surprisingly well even with just the Yokai (although nonetheless not the best starter just by virtue of being a summoner). 

I vote Mei Feng (don't have Lynch, so can't comment).  While her trigger-salad attacks and her synergy with other models can seem confusing at first, I feel that it helps new players learn about an important part of the game without being too daunting in the same way as Shenlong or McCabe.

There's something to be said for not oversimplifying things for new players.  I remember when I started playing the Batman Miniatures game, and being cautioned about playing a Joker crew.  He's easy as you please to pick up, because he basically ignores a core game mechanic (allocating action counters and being stuck with them for the rest of the turn).  But it can ruin you for other crews if you get too used to it.

I'd be divided between Misaki and Mei Feng.

The others are all more complex and/or have weaker box sets and/or require essential support/summons models to really work.  The strongest argument is Lynch but I think his interaction with Huggy is so unusual as to make him a poorer 'teaching the game' master (but he is a superb starting master for a new player, which I think is different).

Between Misaki and Mei its a toss up.  Misaki is probably slightly mechanically easier.  Mei I think has more durability both in her (Misaki is a true glass cannon) and within her box set (which has a fair amount of armor).  I'm primarily an Arcanist so I'd probably go Mei but think as much either of the options work I'd choose based on aesthetics and play-style preference (although they are similar, high maneuverability style, in play, Mei is more jab-duck-kill the weak, where as Misaki is more of a hit and run big target killer).

So to demo - Mei or maybe Misaki or good, fairly simple and standard masters and box set crews.

To have as first master for new player - Jacob Lynch is a great place to start with flexibility, a really solid box set foundation and forgiving enough to learn with.

Additionally, many of Lynch's units focus on the Brilliance characteristic, which can lead to new players focusing to much on the mechanic or not knowing how to utilize it. The fact that Misaki doesn't rely on any specific synergy leaves players more likely to take something for its general use/flavor rather than thinking they should only get units with the same synergy.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Mittens said:

Additionally, many of Lynch's units focus on the Brilliance characteristic, which can lead to new players focusing to much on the mechanic or not knowing how to utilize it. The fact that Misaki doesn't rely on any specific synergy leaves players more likely to take something for its general use/flavor rather than thinking they should only get units with the same synergy.

This is exactly why I'm building a Misaki crew right now for my next master.

I cut my teeth on a complex Brewmaster gremlin crew, evolved my gremlins into a complex Zipp lineup also, but now?

I just wanna paint some dynamic ninjas jumping all over the shop and not stress too much how to use the crew. :D

1 hour ago, Dr Mittens said:

The fact that Lynch has the Brilliance theme is what makes him the best starter/demo-er. It's fairly straightforward, but still gives people the feeling of "I made a play". The vast majority of masters are built around some degree of synergy - Misaki is pretty much the odd one out in that so using her is gonna give you a somewhat warped perspective of what the game will be like. Handing people a simple tool or mechanic that can enhance their damage and accuracy, even if the crew can do okay without it, gives them a look into the possibilities and themes the game can give you. And while they get to experiment with different approaches to tackling the problems on the board, the constant sifting for better cards can still catch them when they stumble.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr Mittens said:

@Tokapondora
Fair enough, all I know is my brother looked at sonnia and thought they needed to avoid units that didn't inflict burning due to her synergy with it.

I can see why they may make that leap, but it is wrong. Sonnia can wok well without a single other model on the table capable of giving burning. Of course you can also put her in a crew where every model gives out burning. 

When I play Lynch, I largely ignore the Brilliance characteristic, and it doesn't matter. You can play him and focus it, and it can work well, but will play quite differently to the way I play  it, even with only minimal crew changes. 

Back to the question

Demoing, I would say Lynch, Misaki, Mei and McCabe are fairly good, and follow simple enough ideas of what you are trying to do with the built crew. 

Starting to play I would probably say Lynch is the most 'contained' box, closely followed by Misaki. But my suggestion on what starter would be what one do you like the look of, and what one do you like the play style. Self contained is fine if you are looking for minimum requirements to learn to start to play.

Shenlong is by far the easiest to play if you don't make any combo with the upgrades. I generaly don't demo with masters and I take Yu + 2 5ss models (tt bros/high river monks) + sniper vs Toshiro + punk zombie + 2 ashigarus, without using any upgrades.
I let them play toshiro, it's a bit easier to have little support+beaters. I play Yu because he is harder to play but he can show that a model that actualy does NO damage can be a good model (which is pretty unique in skirmish games).

23 hours ago, bedjy said:

Shenlong is by far the easiest to play if you don't make any combo with the upgrades. I generaly don't demo with masters and I take Yu + 2 5ss models (tt bros/high river monks) + sniper vs Toshiro + punk zombie + 2 ashigarus, without using any upgrades.
I let them play toshiro, it's a bit easier to have little support+beaters. I play Yu because he is harder to play but he can show that a model that actualy does NO damage can be a good model (which is pretty unique in skirmish games).

I agree with this 95%.  Never demo with masters it is just too much.  I also like having 2 duplicate minions for simplicity.  Keep it to a henchman hardcore format without the time restriction.  The other 5% I do disagree with is I like to see a shooter on both sides of table to show off that aspect and the cover system.  If we are talking next level crew box only games then Lynch, Mei and Misaki in that order as they are straight forward boxes with some synergy/interaction.

• Agree 1