3 round mccabe mid table

Mxbedlam

Hey everyone. Had my first outing with McCabe this weekend. I played in a 3 round tournament and ended up 7th out of 14 with a +7 differential. It was the first time I'd run McCabe outside of one practice game the night before but I had a lot of fun with him. 

Round 1 Flank, Ply For Info, Surround Them, Take One For the Team, Undercover Entourage, Set Up, Public Demo.

I took McCabe (Promises, Loot Bag, Cloak), Luna, Ototo (thunder), Shadow Em (Exploration)Jorogumo, 2 Guild Hounds, Ten T Bro. 

vs Sonnia, Frank, Papa, Investigator, Watcher, Domador, Belle, Brutal Effigy and a Child. 

I took Take One on the Shadow and Surround Them.

First turn I did thinks. Grabbed badge of speed and glowing sabre and then...got murdered. Turn 1 Sonnia cleared out a hound and luna. Had McCabe at 2 wounds and the shadow down 5. I ran joro in to kill the effigy. Belle dragged in the other hound. Investigator kept Sonnia out of engagement and I only scored 2 points on Take One because Sonnia failed to kill the Shadow Em. :( Was a rough list to run McCabe into and wasn't the best Ply list. end result 8-4.

Round 2: Standard, Symbols, Punish the Weak, Dig Graves, Show of Force, Inescapable Trap, Search the Ruins. 

I took McCabe (Promises, Loot Bag, Cloak), Luna, Shadow (COnflux), Sensei (Wandering River), Jorogumo, 2 hounds and Ten T Bro. 

vs Titania, Thorn, Tooth, Barbaros, McTavish, Changeling, and Puke Worm. 

I ended up taking Dig Graves and Show of Force. 

Highlights from the game. Joro got to a symbol on turn 1. Then killed Puke Worm on turn 3 and put some serious damage on McTavish. Got 2 points on show of force before barbaros showed up. End of hte game last couple activations had me trying to kill barbaros without killing Sensei Yu with black blood. I made a mistake and could have tossed Glowing Sabre onto Sensei to push him away before attacking and possibly winning the game. In the end, Titania flew in and scored Inescapable Trap to seal the game at 7-7. 

Round 3: Corner, Ours, Guarded Treasure, Take Prisoner, Covert Breakthrough, Recover Evidence, Hold Up Their Forces

I took: McCabe (Promises, Loot Bag, Elixir), Shadow (Conflux), Ototo (Thunder), Lust (equality), High River Monk, Low River Monk, Ten T Bro. 

vs Sandeep, Amina, Kandara, 2 Vista Guards, Wind Gamin, Fire Gamin.   

I ended up taking Guarded Treasure, and Take Prisoner (Kandara). This game was pretty rough on the Deep player. He'd not been playing too long and I rushed Ototo and McCabe in to sort of pin him into a single corner. Meanwhile Shadow Em and Lust took Guarded Treasure pretty easily and Shadow Em claimed Take Prisoner last turn. final score was 10-0. 

All in all i had a lot of fun playing McCabe and saw some places where I could improve play and also tweak my lists a little. Joro is strong but lure style abilities are pretty prevelant in the meta lately so I will probably switch to Dawn Serpent when I own him. I don't know that I would take McCabe in Ply as often. Though vs Sonnia it was hard to judge just how good he is as my crew just got spit roasted pretty quickly. 

• Like 2

Possibly but I think I like High River Monk at 5 points for that slot better. 3 attacks on the charge and a push to get out of combat afterwards is pretty solid. I'm also considering charm warders to slow down joro/dawn serpent taking as many hits early on.

Yasonori and Emissary are gross with McCabe - even at the extra soul stone to Yas. I LOVE Yu, and I want him to work so bad, but I just can't justify the 11 points (w/ Wandering River) to make him worth it. Maybe with Lynch...? 

9 hours ago, NulSec said:

Yasonori and Emissary are gross with McCabe - even at the extra soul stone to Yas. I LOVE Yu, and I want him to work so bad, but I just can't justify the 11 points (w/ Wandering River) to make him worth it. Maybe with Lynch...? 

Yu becomes worth it when scheme markers are in the equation. Being able to move both yours and your opponent's markers is invaluable, especially now that so many of them want to be at very specific positions. If you can make an enemy marker useless, you don't just take away a spent AP but also make it more difficult for them to place a marker where they want them. 

That being said, Yu is harder to justify in McCabe. He doesn't synergize all that well and the Conflux is really good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 8:43 AM, DonCheadle said:

Yu becomes worth it when scheme markers are in the equation. Being able to move both yours and your opponent's markers is invaluable, especially now that so many of them want to be at very specific positions. If you can make an enemy marker useless, you don't just take away a spent AP but also make it more difficult for them to place a marker where they want them. 

That being said, Yu is harder to justify in McCabe. He doesn't synergize all that well and the Conflux is really good. 

yeah my main reason for taking Yu in that game was scheme marker manipulation and for Show of Force. He is definitely not a main pick. 

On 3/30/2018 at 11:33 PM, NulSec said:

ALSO --- Love that you took Lust with McCabe. Lust is great for 8SS. 

Lust is crazy good in gg18. Slows + Places for AP control. I will probably find a way to add her into my Ply and Ours lists just for those reasons